Premed 101 Forums

A dreamer who can't find her course...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there! I know it is back tracking a bit, but I will ask any way - why do you feel that you NEED to do a Masters at all? What is currently in your opinion limiting your ability to get into Med school?

That will help with the discussion of which stream might be best

These bots are actually pretty impressive in a technical sort of way :)

Hmmm, I'm curious what *rmorelan* means.

As for a masters, I think the only time I mentioned that was to talk about one of the programs that was offered that I wasn't considering attending. Can't be bothered to go back and look. BTW, I only have 1 year of VERY POOR undergraduate studies, and last time I checked...for med school... not good.

For all of you that have helped me out, I decided to go with my 'safest' course of action. I applied to 4 different nursing programs, 2 at U of O, 2 at Western. Two years and we'll give a shot at McMasters. Now for the money part...

Thanks again!!

*smiles*

Hmmm, I'm curious what *rmorelan* means.

As for a masters, I think the only time I mentioned that was to talk about one of the programs that was offered that I wasn't considering attending. Can't be bothered to go back and look. BTW, I only have 1 year of VERY POOR undergraduate studies, and last time I checked...for med school... not good.

For all of you that have helped me out, I decided to go with my 'safest' course of action. I applied to 4 different nursing programs, 2 at U of O, 2 at Western. Two years and we'll give a shot at McMasters. Now for the money part...

Thanks again!!

*smiles*

The masters comment was from a SPAMbot and rmorelan was just commenting on how convincing they can be. I'm just amused by how similar their responses are to the issue, yet how different they are at the same time.

• 3 months later...
I am a nursing student right now at uOft...

Our Policy leadership and management prof was saying that PA's have a bleak future in canada, and the whole thing can be over withing minutes if CNA, RNAO and the Medical associations are against it. Likely it will be the case becasue I mean how much can we split medicine - NP is already demanding an amendment in the RHPA (2009), pharmacists and SLPs are also demanding fair share within medicine.

Ciao

I am a Physician Assistant student at your university (U of T) and was extremely disheartened to see that a professor of the same university is influencing people away from the PA profession with lies.

Unfortunately, the PA program and profession is extremely new to Ontario and people are afraid of the unknown. However, I do know the profession well and here are some fun facts:

-The RNAO and CNO can make up all the lies they want about the PA program but it looks bad on the profession when you are blatantly lying on national radio broadcasts with no evidence. I say this as a member of the RNAO myself, who was embarrassed by the RNAO's comments. They have gone as far as to say that the government created the PA program to shut the OMA up because they didn't like the introduction of nurse practitioner-led clinics.

-The Ontario Medical Association fully backs both Ontario programs for Physician Assistant education, so your professors dreams of the profession being destroyed by the CNO, RNAO and OMA are not going to happen

-Physician Assistants won't "split medicine" so you don't need to worry about them getting into the way. They work hand-in-hand with doctors to facilitate a doctor's job. Yes, they can perform things that NPs can, but Canada is known for its kindness and I have faith we can all get along and share.

-You have no ground to stand on to say that it'll "likely be the case" that PAs will be over within minutes when you don't understand the profession at all

-As for it being a poor career choice, it has been mentioned in this thread that PAs have been working in the States for more than 40 years. There's nothing to say that if you can't find a job in Canada when you first graduate (which will be highly unlikely) there are other countries that do have jobs available. The government of Ontario has invested a lot of time, energy and money into the PA pilot project and the only thing that came out of it was a bunch of positives, which is why the project was extended. The government is very passionate about having this program succeed (I've met and talked with members of the MOHLTC) and are not going to let bitter heads of Nursing Associations try to take down the profession. We all need to get along (I say this as a Nurse AND as a PA Student) and believe that each other's programs WILL work so that there will be successful patient outcomes and strong interprofessional collaboration.

So if you think that going to PA School is for you, I highly recommend it. You are likely going to have to give up your life for a couple years but its worth it.

Hi Northern Nurse,

You're reply is wonderful! Not to mention they've existed in the Canadian Forces for a number of years, and there are many retired military PA'a now working in the civilian world.

You mentionned you are a PA student at U of T? I wasn't aware they started offering the progrom...only Mc Masters and NOSM. As it is now, I have to do 2 years of undergrad which I hope to start in Sept, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I finish I will be accepted to the PA program with my medical experience.

I havn't done any more research on the schools offering PA, when did you begin your program??

PS aqm Check out: http://www.caopa.net/

Hi Skycat.ca,

I attend U of T as a student of the Consortium of PA Education, which is a program that is created by U of T, NOSM and the Michener Institute. When we are attending classes on campus (instead of online, which is the majority of our semester), we attend on U of T and we receive a U of T degree, so you may see people refer to themselves as beign in U of T's PA program, but really its the Consortium's.

McMaster accepts students without a medical background, however, the Consortium requires that you have at least 1680 hours of patient experience, which an usually only be achieved with a professional degree, if you can find a way around this then awesome!

I started the PA program in January of this year as the inaugural class.

hey aqm,

i am applying to uoft nursing in the upcoming year, after finishing my HBSC at UTM, i was just concerned about your post about hwo hard it is to get a 3.8 at UT nursing is this really the case? what tends to be the average for the classes, and do you know anyone in your program that as gone on to med school?

thank you ^^

Skycat.ca, why not think about becoming a respiratory therapist? It is a difficult program, and only a few schools offer a degree option, but it is a very interesting career choice with a lot of diversity available. It also enables you to continue on to become an anesthesia assistant, a perfusionist, and you can work in Intensive care units right after graduation. You can also become a physicians assistant as you can with nursing. Its something to look into anyway, good luck with your decision!

If I can't get into med/dent, I'm definitely considering NP or PA after working for a year or two as a RN.

As far as I know, you need to work full-time as a health care professional with direct patient contact for about a year (~2000 hours) to gain entrance into the PA program in University of Toronto.

If I apply right after I graduate from my RN program, what are the chances of getting into the PA program? (By the time that I receive an acceptance, I will be able to fill up 2000 clinical & direct patient contact hours)

NorthernNurse, I'm very interested in the PA program at UofT. I would appreciate any updates you can provide for us.

Thank you.

McMaster doesn't officially consider the amount of health care experiences you have, but unofficially, they may as currently, their program is considered entirely of US PA, IMG medical doctors, and military PA.

Hi Northern Nurse,

You're reply is wonderful! Not to mention they've existed in the Canadian Forces for a number of years, and there are many retired military PA'a now working in the civilian world.

You mentionned you are a PA student at U of T? I wasn't aware they started offering the progrom...only Mc Masters and NOSM. As it is now, I have to do 2 years of undergrad which I hope to start in Sept, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I finish I will be accepted to the PA program with my medical experience.

I havn't done any more research on the schools offering PA, when did you begin your program??

PS aqm Check out: http://www.caopa.net/

Just a side note, the University of Manitoba also has a PA program. It has been up and running since September 2008.

• 1 month later...
If I apply right after I graduate from my RN program, what are the chances of getting into the PA program? (By the time that I receive an acceptance, I will be able to fill up 2000 clinical & direct patient contact hours)

Hey there!

Sorry for the delay in my responding! If you are currently going through a nursing program, you can use your clinical hours as hours of clinical experience/patient contact. This program is actually really nice for nurses because you can use your experience gained through nursing school to enter PA school straight out of your degree. (check out paconsortium.ca)

Applications are still open for the upcoming year, which begins January 2011. You only need 2 years of university education, the prerequisites and 1680 hours of patient contact experience. I would recommend you watch the program information session to learn about what would give you a competitive edge over other candidates. *but I can't seem to find the link :confused: *

Send me a private message if you want more details and I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP. Applications close May 15 (this just means you need to apply by then, there is a different date for submission of the supplemental application.

Cheers!

NorthernNurse

Archived