Premed 101 Forums

Nov 4 --- Anyone?

I believe they get feedback as well. There will be more information regarding feedback posted on the website later in the process. No one will be available to provide feedback until after the entire admissions process is complete, so likely not until the summer.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else get this e-mail: Your application to Dalhousie Medical School has been assessed and your file is ineligible based on our academic requirements. We will not be giving any further feedback on your application. Decisions of the Admissions Committee are final and there are no grounds for appeal.

We wish you well with your future applications and studies.

I don't get it: my data has yet to be entered on the admissions page, and my last 2 years are 3.9 and my MCAT meets the cutoffs...

Did anyone else get this e-mail: Your application to Dalhousie Medical School has been assessed and your file is ineligible based on our academic requirements. We will not be giving any further feedback on your application. Decisions of the Admissions Committee are final and there are no grounds for appeal.

I don't get it: my data has yet to be entered on the admissions page, and my last 2 years are 3.9 and my MCAT meets the cutoffs...

Are you IP or OOP? Were you full time in your last 2 years? Also, have you completed your degree? If you have, they look at your best 3 years, not your most recent 2.

I am in the same boat..I got that exact email. I should be considered a maritme applicant with 3.7 while meeting the MCAT cutoff...Are you in the maritime pool?

I'm OOP, and I've finished my degree, so I guess it's my best 3 (so it'd be 3.9, 3.9, 3.8). I'm currently taking 2 courses as a non-degree student, but all my undergrad years were full course loads. If you meet the cutoff of 3.7 and 30 with 9 in one section as an OOP, why would they say you don't meet academic requirements?

Are you IP or OOP? Were you full time in your last 2 years? Also, have you completed your degree? If you have, they look at your best 3 years, not your most recent 2.

I'm pretty sure that once you finish you're degree you get the choice of which to use... last two or best three.... which ever is better.

Sorry for correcting your post again, I don't mean to be a stickler on details.... I only bring it up because my last two were much stronger than my best 3 so I looked into it when I was applying... and I was 95% sure that they did the calculation that gave you the best gpa which makes sense because you shouldn't be punished for finishing your degree.

now a 3.9 can't cut it as an oop

lol

crazy

Question: Does it say this for all of you?

screenshot20091106at645.png

Particularly curious about the Current Program: Doctor of Medicine, and Admission Type: Previous Academic Work

Just seems like they're strange fields, hope I didn't mess up.

I tried, they don't pick up my calls lol... I'll call on Monday and figure it out. If they said "non-academic" than I'd be fine with it, since that's subjective, but unless they changed their cutoffs without telling us, I think somethings not right.

Hi Addy K, that's really strange eh? Yes, do give them a call on Monday and/or e-mail them. Hopefully they get back to you with something more concrete! Good luck!

BTW, I'm quite baffled, that's a great GPA!

now a 3.9 can't cut it as an oop

lol

crazy

Question: Does it say this for all of you?

screenshot20091106at645.png

Particularly curious about the Current Program: Doctor of Medicine, and Admission Type: Previous Academic Work

Just seems like they're strange fields, hope I didn't mess up.

Same here.

When they say full time does that mean full course loads or more than 3 (which universities would call full time). I had 4 courses per term 2 years ago and 5 per term in the following, but have not yet graduated. Will taking 4 per semester in one of my two years in consideration affect my application?

Hello everyone!

So, I have been asked by the UME to clarify a few things (unofficially of course)! I am a first year student at Dal Med and am here to help you all out. As you all know, this year Dalhousie is trying something new and is offering an early interview. Keep in mind - there is a SECOND interview schedule!

First, let me say that I can understand you are all stressed and hoping to start your ambitious careers in medicine. BUT, take a big breath and realize that the UME has a million things to deal with right now. They are not trying to ignore you, they are just frantically getting everything together to ensure a smooth MMI in New Brunswick.

If you have not received an email regarding the interview in New Brunswick this month, then unfortunately - you have not been selected for an interview. HOWEVER, this does not mean that your goal of pursuing medicine at Dalhousie is over for the year. The amount of students being interviewed in New Brunswick is a much smaller amount, so there are still many of you who will receive an interview invite for the second round of interviews in the upcoming months.

With particular reference to out-of-province applicants, Dalhousie received nearly 300 applications, many of which were actually ineligible. The minimum cut-offs are non-negotiable. Even if your entire application is glorious, but you received a 22 on the MCAT - you will not be interviewed. Please keep that in mind.

So, with all this being said - remember, if you didn't get an interview for this month, you STILL might get one for round two later this year.

Stay positive and remember that you are all wonderful applicants!

Cheers,

Ian

The dream lives on lol.

OOP #'s at nearly 300 sure beats the 377 (250 eligible) for the class of 2012 stats.

Thanks Ian, hopefully this cuts down on the number of phones calls coming into the office.

However, hopefully Addy K can still figure out what the deal was there.

Hello everyone!

So, I have been asked by the UME to clarify a few things (unofficially of course)! I am a first year student at Dal Med and am here to help you all out. As you all know, this year Dalhousie is trying something new and is offering an early interview. Keep in mind - there is a SECOND interview schedule!

First, let me say that I can understand you are all stressed and hoping to start your ambitious careers in medicine. BUT, take a big breath and realize that the UME has a million things to deal with right now. They are not trying to ignore you, they are just frantically getting everything together to ensure a smooth MMI in New Brunswick.

If you have not received an email regarding the interview in New Brunswick this month, then unfortunately - you have not been selected for an interview. HOWEVER, this does not mean that your goal of pursuing medicine at Dalhousie is over for the year. The amount of students being interviewed in New Brunswick is a much smaller amount, so there are still many of you who will receive an interview invite for the second round of interviews in the upcoming months.

With particular reference to out-of-province applicants, Dalhousie received nearly 300 applications, many of which were actually ineligible. The minimum cut-offs are non-negotiable. Even if your entire application is glorious, but you received a 22 on the MCAT - you will not be interviewed. Please keep that in mind.

So, with all this being said - remember, if you didn't get an interview for this month, you STILL might get one for round two later this year.

Stay positive and remember that you are all wonderful applicants!

Cheers,

Ian

Awwh! That's really nice of you :) Gracias!

When they say full time does that mean full course loads or more than 3 (which universities would call full time). I had 4 courses per term 2 years ago and 5 per term in the following, but have not yet graduated. Will taking 4 per semester in one of my two years in consideration affect my application?

That doesn't cut it for full-time. You have to take 30 credit hours (ie 10 half year or 5 full year) between Sept and April to qualify as full time. If you were rejected because of academics, this is likely the reason. I think this is quite standard for any med school in Canada.

That doesn't cut it for full-time. You have to take 30 credit hours (ie 10 half year or 5 full year) between Sept and April to qualify as full time. If you were rejected because of academics, this is likely the reason. I think this is quite standard for any med school in Canada.

I wasn't rejected since I didn't apply for early interview. I included in the extra information section an explanation for having taken 8 courses in the first of the two years. Is it an automatic rejection to have less than a full course load in one of the years in consideration?

I wasn't rejected since I didn't apply for early interview. I included in the extra information section an explanation for having taken 8 courses in the first of the two years. Is it an automatic rejection to have less than a full course load in one of the years in consideration?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I doubt it would automatically reject you, but I think they would look at your other year instead. For example, if your best 2 yrs were 1st and 3rd, but you only took 26 credit hours in third year, they'd count your 1st and 2nd. This is just my feeling of what they'd do though. I'm not part of the ADCOM, and I don't know the fine details of this part.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I doubt it would automatically reject you, but I think they would look at your other year instead. For example, if your best 2 yrs were 1st and 3rd, but you only took 26 credit hours in third year, they'd count your 1st and 2nd. This is just my feeling of what they'd do though. I'm not part of the ADCOM, and I don't know the fine details of this part.

Great, thanks for the input. It would suck to get rejected right away for it!

Directly from the website:

"Non maritime applicants must also achieve a minimum GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale in each of the last two consecutive years of full time study."

Sounds pretty clear to me. If either one of your last 2 consecutive years is not full-time, then you don't meet academic requirements.

Directly from the website:

"Non maritime applicants must also achieve a minimum GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale in each of the last two consecutive years of full time study."

Sounds pretty clear to me. If either one of your last 2 consecutive years is not full-time, then you don't meet academic requirements.

Hey Madz, do you know what Dal determines to be full-course loads? Many schools will claim 3, some 4, and others will state 5.

Archived