Premed 101 Forums

Lowest Grade

I'm afraid to post this question in the 'medical student' discussion area, because it seems reserved for better questions than this, but I'm very very curious about this:

Are there any medical students who had a low grade in organic chemistry during undergrad? If not, what was your lowest mark?

Okay, I think it's only the people who didn't do well in organic chem that have decided to post on this thread.

But Moo: you're a numbers wizard, so i'm sure your gpa rocked

crockett: weren't you one of the awesome guys that gave people hope that you don't have to have a 4.0 to get in?

rocky: wow, i don't know anything about ya, i'm interested to hear more though about somebody who can get in with an F and D+..

crockett: weren't you one of the awesome guys that gave people hope that you don't have to have a 4.0 to get in?

Yeah, I definitely was nowhere close to a 4.0 in my first year (or 2nd...or 3rd...haha). Just wanted to point out that one bad grade isn't going to bury you completely! (unless you had your heart set on mac or ottawa...you should be fine)

I had a bunch of b+'s(5 or so) and a couple b's? The other 36ish courses were all in the A's... I took a relatively easier degree and didn't do as much lab classes as some hardcore science degrees though so I think that contributes to it too... either that or I'm slightly intelligent... but I'm leaning toward to former, lol.

• 3 weeks later...
I had a D+ in organic chem II also. Bad marks happen. Never came up in interviews and got into Toronto (a marks-heavy school) by having good marks in the rest of the courses that year and in my 1st/3rd years.

Are you currently at U of T?

Did you explain the low grade on your Toronto application?

Are you currently at U of T?

Did you explain the low grade on your Toronto application?

Yes at U of T, 4th year

No didn't explain it. Never even came up. Was equal to 1.3 on the OMSAS GPA scale but I had strong marks in my other courses for the year, so the overall GPA for the year was not that horrible.

Yes at U of T, 4th year

No didn't explain it. Never even came up. Was equal to 1.3 on the OMSAS GPA scale but I had strong marks in my other courses for the year, so the overall GPA for the year was not that horrible.

Were you eligible for GPA weighting?

I'm assuming that helped quite a bit...

I am in the same boat, I am currently done my first year and 1 semester of 2nd year, with nothing less than an A (with a bunch of A+'s)

however, i took organic chem in the summer and got a C+ and had a few questions

a) will this course count towards my GPA since it was in the summer?

B) do you recommend i retake the course?

Thanks

I am in the same boat, I am currently done my first year and 1 semester of 2nd year, with nothing less than an A (with a bunch of A+'s)

Thanks

Most schools in ontario will not count that course - toronto, western, ottawa, in some cases Queens won't either (depends on whether is is best last 2 years or full cGPA).

I wouldn't retake it as repeat courses aren't counted and clearly you have other courses you can take that generate the As you both want and need :)

Thanks

Most med schools outside of Ontario also do not consider summer courses when calculating a GPA. Therefore, do not retake.

Archived