Premed 101 Forums

Pursuing a dream after corporate life

Just read the story myself...

I find it sort of strange that medical schools allow 50 year old applicants into the system. I mean, they are weary of people who show interest in leaving the country... is admitting a guy who has something like 10 years of service to offer the country in exchange for the hundreds of thousands of dollars it costs to train a physician... I mean his intentions are good, but he's human. He'll finish his residency at 56 years old.... How much can we expect a man to work past 56?

seems like a poor allocation of resources IMO.

Missing type in last post

I disagree that he will only work for 10 yrs. I have worked with many Drs that are in their 60 and 70's: they either love their work, have no hobbies or had marital/money problems etc. I think he will be a benefit to the profession and inspiration to other mature students.

is admitting a guy who has something like 10 years of service to offer the country in exchange for the hundreds of thousands of dollars it costs to train a physician... I mean his intentions are good, but he's human. He'll finish his residency at 56 years old.... How much can we expect a man to work past 56?

seems like a poor allocation of resources IMO.

Poor allocation of resources? He's wants to train in emerg. How long do you think the average ER doc works for before switching to something else? Seems like he's planned his life perfectly, if you ask me.

Besides, you are taking a very narrow view of the profession. Many doctors end up running hospitals, or medschools, or companies, or working in government or doing many things in addition to practicing medicine. A person who has proven their ability to organize may be able to apply this to medicine and help the overall health care system in a manner that is impossible for just a regular doctor.

Excellent story to read. I say "good for him" for standing up and turning his dream into a goal.

As for the wisdom of giving a med school place to an "old" person: each medical student does not = a guaranteed medical doctor to Canada for 40 years. Many doctors head south to the USA, while some switch out of medical practice and go into the management side (drug companies, hospital management etc). There are no guarantees for Canada to 'get its money's worth" so the adcoms treat all applicants the same - I like that.

There is a guy in our class who had a pretty sweet corporate job and is now in meds. Similar story!

I wonder what his NAQ was had he applied to UBC. He probably maxed out that "extraordinary category" they have.

Probably :) One of the coolest things about med schools is the amazing background of the class. If there is something that needs to get done, there is always seems to be someone in the class that is an expert at it. Seems that way at every school I am visited.

There is a guy in our class who had a pretty sweet corporate job and is now in meds. Similar story!

I wonder what his NAQ was had he applied to UBC. He probably maxed out that "extraordinary category" they have.

There was such a guy in UBC Med in my sister's class. He quit after first year and went back to his corporate job.

Archived