Premed 101 Forums

Official Admission Statistics

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
damn, GPA of 3.82 just only 6 years ago... and half the applicants... what a joke it has become

by the way, sorry to say but a wGPA of 3.93 will not get you in... it is pretty good, and will get you looked at, but won't get you in by any means

I think you mean 'That ALONE won't get you in'

10 years ago, without grade inflation (ie MAC HEALTH SCI!), that 3.82 would have been as hard to get as todays 3.92. It was no easier then that it is now. My cousin complained how it was so brutal and competitive.

I suppose every generation thinks they have it the hardest. But for the choicest university positions that result in high paying jobs, it is always very competitive. Grade compression (which is what really results from grade inflation) just makes it more annoying for all of us.

No, it won't get him in, period. Almost everyone applying to medical school has good grades. Schools use GPAs as a filter and that's all. Your performance at the interview is what gets you into medical school.

This is simply not true at U of T. It is at other schools in Ontario, but in terms of U of T, you dont know what you are talking about.

No, it won't get him in, period. Almost everyone applying to medical school has good grades. Schools use GPAs as a filter and that's all. Your performance at the interview is what gets you into medical school.

As HBP and hastin just pointed out... UofT weights the interview quite little in their grand scheme.

And as a study on rainy day admissions pointed out not too long ago there's not to much variance in the UofT interview grading scale. If you go into the interview with an excellent pre-interview score.... chances are an average interview will secure your spot.

At any other school in Ontario, the interview makes or breaks you. At UofT, not so much and we are here in the UofT thread.

it is worth 60% but i would think that everyone who are invited for an interview will most likely share a similar score preinterview-wise. so, in a way, interview might make or break you.

from stats posted around this forum and some personal statistics gathered from personal experience, GPA no longer guarantees anything too significant post-interview at u of t. it's a main factor in getting that interview invite out of 3k applicants, but to get picked out from 550 3.95s (slightly over-exaggerated), you need something more.

I think you mean 'That ALONE won't get you in'

Don't worry I'm VERY aware of that! What I meant is that in terms of required GPA's, I satisfy their requirements (and am above the average GPA of people admitted which I know doesn't guarantee anything but it makes me feel a bit better about my chances). Still have the MCAT, EC's, interview, etc to consider of course!

well several schools do use it as a post interview factor as well (Ottawa, Western, Toronto, NOSM, ....) so GPA still plays a role. Howeer most schools also do count the interviews to be worth a large fraction in the end :)

While the interview is weighed very low in terms of percentages, I've heard from past interviewers that theres a proverbial box that they can check which basically denies you entry no matter what your marks/ec/whatever else is. So while a good interview may not necessarily make up for bad preinterview score, a bad interview can sink your ship!

While the interview is weighed very low in terms of percentages, I've heard from past interviewers that theres a proverbial box that they can check which basically denies you entry no matter what your marks/ec/whatever else is. So while a good interview may not necessarily make up for bad preinterview score, a bad interview can sink your ship!
I think this is true in any school. No matter how high the GPA/MCAT is, if admissions sees something in your interview that they don't think is right for their school, they'll have no problem rejecting you. It's not like they have a hard time finding qualified applicants to fill their spots.

Is the interview also weighed this low for graduate applicants? I've heard the rumors regarding undergraduate candidates, but i wonder how this relates to evaluating grad candidates? Anyone know?

I think if you get an interview, your pre-interview score cant be bad enough to automaticaly eliminate you if you kill the interview - if that were the case, why would they interview you in the first place? It would be a waste of a spot no?

Well I have an OMSAS cpga of 3.79 and i still think i could some how get considered :P i have a high mcat and research and oodles of involvement. im hoping to be one of those few with the low gpas..things can happen..who knows maybe if my lowest grades get dropped that 3.79 is probably a fair bit higher. so stop making the guy feel bad about his marks. most probably i wont get an interview at UT but people with worse stats than mine got some last year so...chillax.

Archived