Premed 101 Forums

Applying to med school

You could apply in 2011, but it would be based on your undergrad marks and you wouldn't receive any of the benefits of having a completed graduate degree. A lot of schools also require a statement or form from your supervisor indicating that they know you're applying.

If you're doing a research based masters 2 years is the prescribed time-line, that doesn't mean it always ends up being adhered to. I know plenty of students who have taken 3 or 4 years.

You could apply in 2011, but it would be based on your undergrad marks and you wouldn't receive any of the benefits of having a completed graduate degree. A lot of schools also require a statement or form from your supervisor indicating that they know you're applying.

If you're doing a research based masters 2 years is the prescribed time-line, that doesn't mean it always ends up being adhered to. I know plenty of students who have taken 3 or 4 years.

that sounds right. Also Jan 2012 is not that far off Sept 2011 - you might be able to convince you supervisor you can finish a term earlier if you really push it. Not unheard of to finish a masters in that amount of time :)

that sounds right. Also Jan 2012 is not that far off Sept 2011 - you might be able to convince you supervisor you can finish a term earlier if you really push it. Not unheard of to finish a masters in that amount of time :)

So it is possible to finish a masters in 1 year?

S/he's saying it's possible to finish in 1.5 year.

But to answer your question, yes it is possible to finish in 1 year depending on the program, but it happens very rarely for research-based ones.

the one year is too tight, but the OP supervisor might be more likely to sign off on the valuable approval if there is a clear path way leading to completion prior to med school. That would be a start date of 20 months after the masters was started - which is doable particularly IF it is discussed now. The problem every one is trying to avoid is having to abandon the master prior to completion :)

So, long story short for grad applicants to avoid losing 1 year, their masters programs cannot be longer than 1.5 years? I guess that would take tehm through the summer prior to joining med school. Is this a valid assessment? And they would still be considered masters' applicants?

Thanks!

So, long story short for grad applicants to avoid losing 1 year, their masters programs cannot be longer than 1.5 years? I guess that would take tehm through the summer prior to joining med school. Is this a valid assessment? And they would still be considered masters' applicants?

Thanks!

well this person is a bit of a special case, the OP is starting the masters in Jan rather than Sept, which is why I am proposing to try and get it done one term faster than normal. Otherwise he/she will be done 8 months prior to the follow enterance date and kind of just sitting around etc. I am curious if was possible to be done early enough to get in exactly 20 month from when she started (or a bit earlier than that even with some of the schools having slighly eariler dates).

The general rule I believe is you have want to be done by the end of June 30the year you are hoping to get into medical school (thus start 2 months later in Sept). If you miss that time you risk things.

If you get a grad degree at the end you are graduate applicant regardless of how long it takes :)

the one year is too tight, but the OP supervisor might be more likely to sign off on the valuable approval if there is a clear path way leading to completion prior to med school. That would be a start date of 20 months after the masters was started - which is doable particularly IF it is discussed now. The problem every one is trying to avoid is having to abandon the master prior to completion :)

Good advice. Let your supervisor know your what you're thinking (a) so you won't surprise them later and (B) so that they can help make sure you finish in time if they think it's feasible.

Archived