Premed 101 Forums

:( Second time around...Please help

I have applied last year to almost all Canadian schools, 7 US schools, not a single interview (expected due to low VR). I got accepted to a Carib school (SGU), but I might reject it and try again... should I?

Ontario resident

From UofT!!!!!!!

Yr1: 3.38

Yr2: 3.51

Yr3: 3.97

Yr4: ~3.65 (pending)

----

cGPA: ~3.58 ----> notice upward trend? (final two years are OK...)

1st MCAT: 9/7/10/O = 26O (SH*T)

2nd MCAT: Rewriting? (Hoping to meet cutoffs).

EC's: Nothing special (Blood services, medical clinic front desk + shadowing, pharmacy assistant, hospital labs shadowing, disability helper/note taker)..No research.

LORs: Not negative, but not stellar. (all my Profs are socially inept)

Should I waste another year or what? Please tell me honestly if I have a chance at any school.

I have applied last year to almost all Canadian schools, 7 US schools, not a single interview (expected due to low VR). I got accepted to a Carib school (SGU), but I might reject it and try again... should I?

Ontario resident

From UofT!!!!!!!

Yr1: 3.38

Yr2: 3.51

Yr3: 3.97

Yr4: ~3.65 (pending)

----

cGPA: ~3.58 ----> notice upward trend? (final two years are OK...)

1st MCAT: 9/7/9/O = 26O (SH*T)

2nd MCAT: Rewriting? (Hoping to meet cutoffs).

EC's: Nothing special (Blood services, medical clinic front desk + shadowing, pharmacy assistant, hospital labs shadowing, disability helper/note taker)..No research.

LORs: Not negative, but not stellar. (all my Profs are socially inept)

Should I waste another year or what? Please tell me honestly if I have a chance at any school.

the "upward" trend seems to be dwindling in fourth year. will you have a high enough average for queens or western (realistically your only two schools)? if not, then your chances don't look good.

have you considered osteopathic medicine in the us?

here's the breakdown with regards to canada:

- no chance at mac, u of t, or ottawa

- if you rewrite the mcat and get > 10 10 10 R (i believe?), than you will get an interview at Queen's next year (unless the cut-offs change)

- if you were able to bring your gpa up to 3.7 (3.75 would be much safer) this year, and scored >9 11 10(i'd say 11B to be safe) Q, you should get an interview at western next year, but who knows - there might be another drastic cut-off change

- I believe some other schools (Dal?) look at best 2 years, but I don't know much about schools outside of Ontario

that said, if you think you can bring your gpa up to 3.7 (3.75 would be ideal) this year, and think you can hugely improve your mcat (10 11 11 R) upon rewrite, then maybe consider sticking around for another year - it's up to you... if you don't think you can bring your gpa up to Western standards, to be honest I wouldn't rewrite and stick around for a year just for a shot at Queens (100 spots, 550 interviewees... last year was 800 interviewees... so not great odds at that school), but whether or not it's worth it is to you and how gauge your chances on an mcat rewrite, interview skills, and whether or not you'd mind sticking around for a year

your chances aren't good in the US unless you rewrite the MCAT and do really well on it (with that GPA, would probably need a 35+ to get looked at), but I'm not an expert about US schools

like I said, maybe looking into osteopathic medicine in the US... the entrance GPA's are much lower, and they are essentially doctors... but I'm not sure about how it is for Canadians applying, you'd have to look into it

anyways, that's my take on your chances... acceptance or not, at least you're handsome lol

good luck

the "upward" trend seems to be dwindling in fourth year. will you have a high enough average for queens or western (realistically your only two schools)? if not, then your chances don't look good.

Along those lines, is your second year actually finished yet? I would be great if you could pull that up. Then you would have have to improve dramatically on the MCAT (possible :) any ideas what was holding you back on the first offering?). If you could do that then you could potentially get interviews at Western and queens.

That might be worth a year delay depending on things. Very personal choice!

have you considered osteopathic medicine in the us?

here's the breakdown with regards to canada:

- no chance at mac, u of t, or ottawa

- if you rewrite the mcat and get > 10 10 10 R (i believe?), than you will get an interview at Queen's next year (unless the cut-offs change)

- if you were able to bring your gpa up to 3.7 (3.75 would be much safer) this year, and scored >9 11 10(i'd say 11B to be safe) Q, you should get an interview at western next year, but who knows - there might be another drastic cut-off change

- I believe some other schools (Dal?) look at best 2 years, but I don't know much about schools outside of Ontario

that said, if you think you can bring your gpa up to 3.7 (3.75 would be ideal) this year, and think you can hugely improve your mcat (10 11 11 R) upon rewrite, then maybe consider sticking around for another year - it's up to you... if you don't think you can bring your gpa up to Western standards, to be honest I wouldn't rewrite and stick around for a year just for a shot at Queens (100 spots, 550 interviewees... last year was 800 interviewees... so not great odds at that school), but whether or not it's worth it is to you and how gauge your chances on an mcat rewrite, interview skills, and whether or not you'd mind sticking around for a year

your chances aren't good in the US unless you rewrite the MCAT and do really well on it (with that GPA, would probably need a 35+ to get looked at), but I'm not an expert about US schools

like I said, maybe looking into osteopathic medicine in the US... the entrance GPA's are much lower, and they are essentially doctors... but I'm not sure about how it is for Canadians applying, you'd have to look into it

anyways, that's my take on your chances... acceptance or not, at least you're handsome lol

good luck

Thanks to everyone

And Thanks a lot Matt. That basically breaks it down for me as to what options I have.

I don't think DO schools are accredited world wide (I like to keep my chances open as I am from all over the world!).

I would like to try out for ireland and see what happens, I heard it is a good option (expensive though) for getting decend residencies in US/Canada is that right? What about Aussie? I'd like to hear about any cases where people studied there and were able to come back, if any.

Otherwise I'd just go to SGU. I know how my luck usually goes, even if happen to do well on the MCAT my chances of getting in are still slim.

Good luck for all of you!

make sure you do your research about going out of Canada for medicine! While schools in Ireland/Australia, etc (and I guess throw in the Top4 Carribean schools) are good, the future for practicing in Canada is still fairly unknown. If you were planning on going the US route for residency and then coming back to Canada, that would be the easiest, but problem with that is with the increase in med schools in the states, more empty US residency spots would be filled by US med grads then foreign grads. so theoretically, it would be more competitive to get a residency in the US if you didn't graduate there then compared to before.

advice:

can - you definitely need to finish up this year strong to be considered for queens/western. perhaps do an extra year to further boost up that GPA of yours for Ottawa. you also need to do way better on the mcat to get an interview.

us - do much better on mcat (35ish), do five years and continue to do well (3.9s), might probably have a shot at a US school depending on your other things. 3.5's are around the lower end of GPA acceptances for US meds, but can sometimes be countered with a high mcat.

make sure you do your research about going out of Canada for medicine! While schools in Ireland/Australia, etc (and I guess throw in the Top4 Carribean schools) are good, the future for practicing in Canada is still fairly unknown. If you were planning on going the US route for residency and then coming back to Canada, that would be the easiest, but problem with that is with the increase in med schools in the states, more empty US residency spots would be filled by US med grads then foreign grads. so theoretically, it would be more competitive to get a residency in the US if you didn't graduate there then compared to before.

advice:

can - you definitely need to finish up this year strong to be considered for queens/western. perhaps do an extra year to further boost up that GPA of yours for Ottawa. you also need to do way better on the mcat to get an interview.

us - do much better on mcat (35ish), do five years and continue to do well (3.9s), might probably have a shot at a US school depending on your other things. 3.5's are around the lower end of GPA acceptances for US meds, but can sometimes be countered with a high mcat.

I can probably boost my final year GPA to a 3.70 still. With that I would have around a 3.63 GPA (NOT considering summer courses which brought my GPA down drastically). I know some Canadian schools dont look at the summer courses. What are my chances with this GPA in all of US/Canada? I will try my best to get a 30+ on the MCAT this time around. Lets assume I do (my only problem is VR), will I have chances at other universities than just queens/western? what about ottawa and UofT? I heard UofT drops the lowest year or something like that...But in my third year i did not take 3+ credits of 3rd year courses and above (i took 2.5 credits...), is that rule still going? Any way I could talk my way around this, like petition or something? What about calgary, doesn't also drop the lowest year? Dal takes the highest two years? There's gotta be something! My GPA is not that bad!

Can't a 3.6 cGPA and 30-33 MCAT get me into a US school?

A 3.6 cgpa and 30 MCAT (balanced) CAN get you into a US school. However, don't underestimate the importance of the personal statement and secondary essays. Make sure you have extra curricular activities that you can draw from in your essays and illustrate what you gained from your experiences. Med schools in Michigan seem to really like applicants that have clinical experience such as working at a nursing home, with the under-served, etc.

I can probably boost my final year GPA to a 3.70 still. With that I would have around a 3.63 GPA (NOT considering summer courses which brought my GPA down drastically). I know some Canadian schools dont look at the summer courses. What are my chances with this GPA in all of US/Canada? I will try my best to get a 30+ on the MCAT this time around. Lets assume I do (my only problem is VR), will I have chances at other universities than just queens/western? what about ottawa and UofT? I heard UofT drops the lowest year or something like that...But in my third year i did not take 3+ credits of 3rd year courses and above (i took 2.5 credits...), is that rule still going? Any way I could talk my way around this, like petition or something? What about calgary, doesn't also drop the lowest year? Dal takes the highest two years? There's gotta be something! My GPA is not that bad!

Can't a 3.6 cGPA and 30 MCAT get me into a US school?

Crap - your 3rd year then won't count for Western - you need 3.0/5.0 senior level courses in that year :( You can try to appeal, but you haven't stated any grounds yet that would make such an effort effective and they are pretty strict about it. You would have to hit the cut off this year (which right now is 3.70 but could move hirer next year) and do another UG year above cutoff to apply to western (obeying their special year rules). Queens however still remains a possibility with the right MCAT!

Your GPA IS not that bad - but med school entry requirements are pretty insane. You can have a solid A average with a GPA of 3.63 and get into grad school with scholarships with that, but the process is so competitive in meds it makes its own rules.

Toronto will drop some of your courses (1.0 credits can be dropped overall IF you were full time (5.0+ credits each year) to what seems to be a maximum of 4.0 credits). If that rule applies, what would happen with your GPA? Outside of the ottawa region the GPA cut off will be too high for you, and McMaster considers every course you ever took which sounds like it won't work for you. You haven't mentioned a rural status, which would be pretty much needed to apply to that school with your stats(?)

I don't think any of the usual out of ontario places are really open to you either at this point with their special in province rules. Doing well on the MCAT will create some US possibilities though! The GPA trend is good, may still need another year to cement things though.

Hmmmm, I don't think I am missing anything(?)

Crap - your 3rd year then won't count for Western - you need 3.0/5.0 senior level courses in that year :( You can try to appeal, but you haven't stated any grounds yet that would make such an effort effective and they are pretty strict about it. You would have to hit the cut off this year (which right now is 3.70 but could move hirer next year) and do another UG year above cutoff to apply to western (obeying their special year rules). Queens however still remains a possibility with the right MCAT!

Your GPA IS not that bad - but med school entry requirements are pretty insane. You can have a solid A average with a GPA of 3.63 and get into grad school with scholarships with that, but the process is so competitive in meds it makes its own rules.

Toronto will drop some of your courses (1.0 credits can be dropped overall IF you were full time (5.0+ credits each year) to what seems to be a maximum of 4.0 credits). If that rule applies, what would happen with your GPA? Outside of the ottawa region the GPA cut off will be too high for you, and McMaster considers every course you ever took which sounds like it won't work for you. You haven't mentioned a rural status, which would be pretty much needed to apply to that school with your stats(?)

I don't think any of the usual out of ontario places are really open to you either at this point with their special in province rules. Doing well on the MCAT will create some US possibilities though! The GPA trend is good, may still need another year to cement things though.

Hmmmm, I don't think I am missing anything(?)

Dropping my lowest credit from each year, and not counting summer courses, will bring me up to about 3.73 I think. Do they drop the lowest year too? Because that would mean about 3.8.

Does the MCAT have to be 35+ to be eligible for US meds??

Dropping my lowest credit from each year, and not counting summer courses, will bring me up to about 3.73 I think. Do they drop the lowest year too? Because that would mean about 3.8.

Does the MCAT have to be 35+ to be eligible for US meds??

They drop up to 4.0 courses scattered among all years, so it is flexible enough to drop almost all the courses from one year - whatever maximizes the end GPA.

No you don't need 35+ to qualify, it just helps of course :) Actually it would help quite a bit!

They drop up to 4.0 courses scattered among all years, so it is flexible enough to drop almost all the courses from one year - whatever maximizes the end GPA.

No you don't need 35+ to qualify, it just helps of course :) Actually it would help quite a bit!

Oh, so if that gives me a 3.8 wGPA would that be competitive for UofT? (specially that I am a graduate from there too). Or does my cGPA have to be 3.8?

There are several US schools with averages around 3.6/30, so If I have a 30-32 I would still be a good candidate wouldn't I? Do you know anyone who get in with these stats?

Oh, so if that gives me a 3.8 wGPA would that be competitive for UofT? (specially that I am a graduate from there too). Or does my cGPA have to be 3.8?

There are several US schools with averages around 3.6/30, so If I have a 30-32 I would still be a good candidate wouldn't I? Do you know anyone who get in with these stats?

cGPA is not what matters at Toronto for the GPA scale if the wGPA policy applies (as far as I know). I believe to be truly competitive as an UG student generally higher than 3.8 is required though, but with a holistic evaluation system it hard to speak in absolutes (It also means that graduate work might make U of T respond perhaps more favorably).

There is actually a US forum on the site - I would post there for greater likelihood people that know more can help with the US issue. I could comment further but ultimately the collective forum response would be more complete there :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anybody has posted this yet... but I was reading on Western's site that they require that you meet the GPA cut off in 2 of your years (which would only be considered if you have 5 full courses in those years). I think this year the cut off was 3.7, so then to get an interview one would have to have 3.7 in 2 of their years of UG and then they would have to meet the MCAT scores (see website for these). So, if you could bring your MCAT scores up you might have a chance at Western.

Archived