Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I go OT interview from mcmaster only. Was it the same email or different email for PT?

Also, do you mind telling your GPA?

Thanks

It was two e-mails that came within half an hour of each other. So I'm sorry to say it's likely you did not get PT if you applied for it. My GPA for last 20 credits was 3.78. One of my friends didn't get anything (so it could have been worse), so do you mind if I ask what your GPA was? She was a kin student so it was devastating for her....

Sadly, I was one of the people who got waitlisted by Mac's Interview... It seems that their cutoff this year for an interview for a 3.72..which seems to have jumped quite bit from last years mark of 3.68 I was just wondering for those who did get the interview, if there was a date by which you had to accept or decline the interview?

For someone like me who is so close to that cut off GPA, this really means the world right now.

"All confirmations must be received by April 14, 2011 at 12:00 pm. If you do not confirm, your interview will be given to the next person on the list"

Hang in there ultimate, The interview's on May. 1st so lot of people have trouble moving (if their lease is up like me) and attending the interview at the same time. I also know U of T still have exams on Apr. 29th...

It was two e-mails that came within half an hour of each other. So I'm sorry to say it's likely you did not get PT if you applied for it. My GPA for last 20 credits was 3.78. One of my friends didn't get anything (so it could have been worse), so do you mind if I ask what your GPA was? She was a kin student so it was devastating for her....

my sGPA 3.68 so yea and got the rejection letter this morning. this year cutoff is 3.72

Hey HarryFeng,

I am seriously suprised you got a rejection letter with a 3.68... considering that the cutoff was a 3.72... wouldnt that leave ppl with a 3.71, 3.7, and 3.69 in your way.. how many ppl could they possibly have with that gpa?

Does anyone know how many ppl they allow to be waitlisted?

I'm new to this forum.. but I applied to McMaster and Queen's for pt.. got my rejection from mac today.

This sucks..

You didn't apply to Western or UofT?

How are you ECs? I believe Queens weighs ECs more than any other school, so you still have a good shot if your ECs were solid.

medtech, if you don't mind me asking, is PT/OT your first choice or are you waiting to hear back from other programs as well?

Hey HarryFeng,

I am seriously suprised you got a rejection letter with a 3.68... considering that the cutoff was a 3.72... wouldnt that leave ppl with a 3.71, 3.7, and 3.69 in your way.. how many ppl could they possibly have with that gpa?

Does anyone know how many ppl they allow to be waitlisted?

Well McMaster invites 300 people to interview for 64 spots. If the cutoff was a 3.72, then there's 28 possible marks (3.72, 3.73, etc.) for 300 applicants, and so there should be significant overlap when it comes to marks.

Hey ultamite, bcmountainlove on the OT thread just said he's cancelling his OT/PT interview at mac cause he got accepted into U of A... so there's a spot that just opened up. I honestly think Waitlist for anything is the worst felling there is (talk about anxiety) so hopefully that'll cheer you up a bit.

Rasta, I'm actually waiting for U of C and NOSOM med. But I assure you I'm not taking these interviews lightly and taking them from other candidates. NOSOM has 400 interviews for 64 spots and I did pretty bad on U of C's written MMI station so it's likely I'll be doing PT/OT. It's a career I respect and would be happy to be a part of.

I don't mind the questions at all, PT/OT is not a back up for me, more like an alternative career choice.

hey Medtech, thanks for the update...

I am hoping a lot of people out west decline the interview, as they have already gotten offers for their PT program.

With that being said, does anyone know how they distinguish one person from another on the rankings board? Like if someone has a 3.71 GPA, and so does someone else, how exactly do they determine who gets the spot?

Rasta, I'm actually waiting for U of C and NOSOM med. But I assure you I'm not taking these interviews lightly and taking them from other candidates. NOSOM has 400 interviews for 64 spots and I did pretty bad on U of C's written MMI station so it's likely I'll be doing PT/OT. It's a career I respect and would be happy to be a part of.

I don't mind the questions at all, PT/OT is not a back up for me, more like an alternative career choice.

Hey, I didn't mean to imply that you're picking PT as a backup. I just thought that maybe you might have something else ahead of PT. I'm trying to get an idea of how many people out of 340 will end up declining PT offers. I know that UofT + McMaster + Western is about 200 seats (I omitted Queens because I think acceptance more subjective with the heavier weight on ECs). Hopefully people out West and East getting into their schools combined with everyone else getting into the first choice program will bring the total number of applicants down to 200 so everyone else can get into PT and everyone's happy :D

I thought that one of the strongest points in favour of having MMIs over traditional interviews was that one mistake can be overcome? So if you mess up on one section of the MMI, you can still make up for it on the other sections. I'm sure you still have a shot at UofC;)

BTW when do you hear back from the med schools? Hope you get in buddy.

hey Medtech, thanks for the update...

I am hoping a lot of people out west decline the interview, as they have already gotten offers for their PT program.

With that being said, does anyone know how they distinguish one person from another on the rankings board? Like if someone has a 3.71 GPA, and so does someone else, how exactly do they determine who gets the spot?

I think they'll just invite everyone with that GPA to the interview. For instance McMaster aims to invite around 300 people. If the 300th person has a 3.71 GPA, then they'll just invite the other 25 that have the same GPA too. I'm guessing that's how they do it.

I wonder what the GPA for western is going to be this year? Considering they took away the 50 hour requirement... I have a feeling its going to be in the 3.78 range this year

Considering it was 3.72 for 2009 and 3.71 for 2010, and the crazy jump in competitiveness I'm wondering too. I wouldn't be surprised if 3.8's needed for first round acceptance...

UWO is my first choice too since I go there now and I love the atmosphere... It's a shame that UWO has to wait until all the other school make their depictions eh? That way people who had UWO as their first choice don't need to conduct unnecessary interviews. I do love interviews though, it's the CAP that's got me worried...

Is there a difference between PT and OT programs in Canada? I know for dent, med and pharm it doesn't' really matter where you get your degree from... only in the US there's a big discrepancy between schools and their licensing pass rate

Sadly, I was one of the people who got waitlisted by Mac's Interview... It seems that their cutoff this year for an interview for a 3.72..which seems to have jumped quite bit from last years mark of 3.68 I was just wondering for those who did get the interview, if there was a date by which you had to accept or decline the interview?

For someone like me who is so close to that cut off GPA, this really means the world right now.

Hey did you receive an email saying you are on the waitlist?

Considering it was 3.72 for 2009 and 3.71 for 2010, and the crazy jump in competitiveness I'm wondering too. I wouldn't be surprised if 3.8's needed for first round acceptance...

UWO is my first choice too since I go there now and I love the atmosphere... It's a shame that UWO has to wait until all the other school make their depictions eh? That way people who had UWO as their first choice don't need to conduct unnecessary interviews. I do love interviews though, it's the CAP that's got me worried...

Is there a difference between PT and OT programs in Canada? I know for dent, med and pharm it doesn't' really matter where you get your degree from... only in the US there's a big discrepancy between schools and their licensing pass rate

I'm also a bit worried that the cutoff for Western is going to be ridiculously high this year.

I don't think that there's a difference between PT/OT programs across Canada. From what I know, the education is pretty much the same across all schools, and employers don't look down on one school over the other.

Do you have any tips for the MMI? How to prepare, etc?

@whatittakes

This is what i got in my email

This year the GPA cut off for interviews was approximately 3.72/4.0 for Physiotherapy .

We invite you to be on our standby list for interviews. We will contact you as interview positions come available based on your ranking.

3.8 you think for western..?

Nuts

Although I do think there will be a lot of wait-list movement because the requirements are similar for the 4 Ontario schools. So say if you're in the top 3-- by U of T's ranking, at the end of it all, won't you probably get one of the ~300 seats in Ontario? Especially considering there are out of province applicants in the top 300 who may prefer to study at home.

Archived