Premed 101 Forums

I really wouldn't underestimate the amount of work and intellectual demand PT requires! Cut-offs for UofT were 80% last year but that didn't necessarily mean you got in.

I'm in my first year so far and its not as easy as it sounds! And if anything, I think it really prepares you for life as a medical student/physician i.e. class hours, critical thinking, clinical experience, communication skills, etc.

PT is also a backup plan for many premeds so competition is high (but not as high as medical school).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone told me that last year's GPA requirement for PT was higher than that of med school. This might be wrong, but I believe PT is as competitive as meds.

I guess. There are only 180 or so seats for PT in ontario but there are 800 or so seats for meds. So if we divide the number of applicant over seats, one might conclude PT is as competitive as meds, sadly. But meds requires a higher gpa tho.

Someone told me that last year's GPA requirement for PT was higher than that of med school. This might be wrong, but I believe PT is as competitive as meds.

I guess. There are only 180 or so seats for PT in ontario but there are 800 or so seats for meds. So if we divide the number of applicant over seats, one might conclude PT is as competitive as meds, sadly. But meds requires a higher gpa tho.

I really dislike all the people who go into PT or OT and then switch out after one year when they get into med. Those people took away a spot from people who really want PT or OT as a career and do not to intend to do medicine.

I know it's a case of "everyone out for themselves" and for some students PT and OT are good "backs ups," but it still bugs me. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Really? That's good to hear. I've been worried about it all year b/c I've heard they really look at all your marks even though they say last 10 credits (my prof told me this...he's written tons of references for ORPAS). My references are pretty strong as far as I know. I'm not concerned about references...I'm concerned my GPA won't be high enough for them to even consider looking at my references. Guess I'll see!

Wow... Are you guys serious? I think a 3.7+ should be pretty good (of course with good references etc). But you guys with 3.8+ :confused: wow...

By the way, you only need 2 references for applications correct? What kind of extra curricular do you guys have?

Yes, only 2 references. As for ECs: hospital volunteering, sports, research

Wow... Are you guys serious? I think a 3.7+ should be pretty good (of course with good references etc). But you guys with 3.8+ :confused: wow...

By the way, you only need 2 references for applications correct? What kind of extra curricular do you guys have?

Two references and one can be a professional reference. Queen's is the only Ontario school that really considers ECs and experience (you have to write a personal submission for Queen's). Mine include volunteering in a physio clinic, TA for 2 semesters in anatomy lab for first year students, and worked in a prof's lab in my faculty.

Archived