Premed 101 Forums

Canada education system

Hi guys, sorry my clueless, but i have nobody else to ask help. My name is conrado, 17 years old, from brazil. I just finished high school(total of 11 years of study since elementary) and i would like to study medicine in Canada, but our study system is different since here when we finish hight school(the last 3 years of study) we just need to do exams to faculty. After get in, we have 6 years of study + residency training. How should i proceed to study in canada? I know at least i should do the TOEFL and MCAT test, not much more. A friend of mine said that is needed to study at Faculty of Science before applying for medicine, is it right? What is a PRE-MED program?

For now, just it. :)

thanks

Hi guys, sorry my clueless, but i have nobody else to ask help. My name is conrado, 17 years old, from brazil. I just finished high school(total of 11 years of study since elementary) and i would like to study medicine in Canada, but our study system is different since here when we finish hight school(the last 3 years of study) we just need to do exams to faculty. After get in, we have 6 years of study + residency training. How should i proceed to study in canada? I know at least i should do the TOEFL and MCAT test, not much more. A friend of mine said that is needed to study at Faculty of Science before applying for medicine, is it right? What is a PRE-MED program?

For now, just it. :)

thanks

You need a Bachelors degree before starting medicine. This typically can be in any field you want. It does not have to be a science. People in med school in North America have their first degree from biology, to chemistry, to music, to English, to math, to Political Science, to economics, engineering, whatever. There are no true pre-med programs but it's just a term that people use to say they want to go to med school. The only requirements are that you need some prerequisite courses which are generally 1 year of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry and physics. Some schools require English, others require calculus. Check with each individual school.

so i really need a bachelors degree, what should i do? i love human body, is there any bachelor degree related?what do you advise?and after finishing, i should have a good GPA and try the MCAT test, is it right? While in the faculty, should i spend time doing clinical volunteering? Will it help me to get in? How does it work?

Thanks

so i really need a bachelors degree, what should i do? i love human body, is there any bachelor degree related?what do you advise?and after finishing, i should have a good GPA and try the MCAT test, is it right? While in the faculty, should i spend time doing clinical volunteering? Will it help me to get in? How does it work?

Thanks

1) yes, you need a bachelor's degree, but you can apply to some medical schools at different stages of your bachelor's degree (ranging from 2-4th year). It is very challenging to get accepted early so you can pretty much count on having to finish the 4 year degree.

2) If you love human biology most Canadian universities have programs in this area. Some areas you might want to look into are biology, physiology, anatomy, immunology, biochemistry... It does not matter what area you study. You can study arts or music if you want to as long as you complete the basic science requirements (as a previous poster mentioned).

3) Having a good GPA is important for giving you a good shot at an interview, but it is not the only thing you need to worry about. Most people complete the MCAT at some point during their bachelor's degree (usually in the summer after 2nd or 3rd year). There are many books available to help study for the MCAT and I think most people spend a few months studying for it.

4) Clinical volunteering would be a good idea if this is what interests you. The main point is to get involved as much as you can! This can include work, volunteering in ANY organization, sports, arts, research.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, as someone else already mentioned, if you are not a canadian citizen or permanent resident when you apply you will be hugely disadvantaged. If I were you I would look at this aspect carefully before taking on this long journey!

All the best!:D

OMG thanks guys, you were the best help i ever had xD, even "travel" agecys, faculty FAQs, consulates were useless but you helped a lot :D

I will let you know if i have any further questions :P

If there is any other information that can be helpful feel free to add xD

Maybe sometime you gonna see me there ^^

thanks

Archived