Premed 101 Forums

No More Provisional Acceptance

Self-entitlement, self-entitlement and more self-entitlement. Can you have any less and perhaps a dash of compassion at all?

I think one of the biggest problems I will have in medicine is dealing with other self-entitled professionals; it is the biggest turnoff that I get from the profession.

This is one argument I don't get. As an individual with not a whole boatload of options come May 13th, how is someone who gets more interviews and more potential offers NOT a potentially better candidate. They worked hard for their 4 years of strong GPA. They worked hard on the ABS and finding strong references for these activities as well as their LORs. They prepared for interviews, scored well on the MCAT, and to get interviews from many schools likely fared better than the average medical applicant.

Why is that self-entitlement? Especially when it is in relations to their peers who did not receive the same interview opportunities. I have absolutely no problem acknowledging that I should have worked harder in my 2nd and 3rd years. If I had, my cGPA would have been much better and I would have most likely been offered more interviews at some of the schools where I more than exceeded the MCAT requirement. I don't really think that I deserve to have the system changed in my favour because someone potentially had more options to choose from on May 13th.

Self-entitlement is a load of junk in that sense.

As for difficult situations, we are all in that situation. I have a wife who has to relocate with me. She has to uproot from her family. I have to uproot depending on where I go. I have to give up a potentially really good job because I don't want to leave my employer hanging because I woudl have to lock in to a multi-year committment for what I am currently doing. I paid for rent all through University. I was living on my own all through University. I had to work multiple jobs during University to pay for rent and food. That's what happens when you apply to a professional program that is highly competitive. If you don't like the stress of not knowing, stick to a program that takes nearly everyone because life doesn't get any easier.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Self-entitlement, self-entitlement and more self-entitlement. Can you have any less and perhaps a dash of compassion at all?

I think one of the biggest problems I will have in medicine is dealing with other self-entitled professionals; it is the biggest turnoff that I get from the profession.

How is this a self-entitlement? The old system one group benefits, the new system another group benefits. Either way, one group benefits and one suffers. Since either way, one group benefits at the expense of the other, I think it's more fair for the group that is (on average) more qualified to be in medical school to benefit. In other words, the old system benefited people with at least one acceptance, who are in all likelihood better applicants than people with no acceptances but are on wait lists - which the new system favors.

For the record - I have no personal vested interest in which system it is. I'm stating that I believe the former system was more fair - not that it in any way benefits me. I've been accepted outside of Ontario and will be rejecting all my Ontario offers/wait-lists as soon I get them on May 13.

Either way, one group benefits and one suffers.

Oh those poor souls, suffering from an 'inferior' school! If one was going to suffer in x school, they shouldn't have applied in the first place.

One of the tenets of medicine is justice; it would be terrific if people started practicing it early on. The "I'm better than that guy" attitude should really has no place at this point - all the applicants all the way to the bottom of the waitlist are well qualified and shouldn't have to suffer in uncertainty so some people can have their cake and eat it too.

Oh those poor souls, suffering from an 'inferior' school! If one was going to suffer in x school, they shouldn't have applied in the first place.

One of the tenets of medicine is justice; it would be terrific if people started practicing it early on. The "I'm better than that guy" attitude should really has no place at this point - all the applicants all the way to the bottom of the waitlist are well qualified and shouldn't have to suffer in uncertainty so some people can have their cake and eat it too.

So, you're saying that spending 4 years at a school that doesn't match your learning style, isn't where your family is, or whatever other important personal reasons there is NOT a big deal, whereas waiting a month or two longer in uncertainty IS a big deal?

You seem to forget the new system doesn't make it any more likely for you to get in if you're on the wait list, the benefit is in when you know (which I'm not saying doesn't matter, but it's sure less important than where you will physically be spending the next 4 years).

You're right, one of the tenets of medicine is justice. Tell me how it is just to take away from those with an acceptance and a wait list to favor someone with 2 wait lists. Tell me why you think a system where it can be better to be rejected than accepted at a school for an individual is just.

In fact, my entire argument was that the old system was more just than the new one is. Your entire argument is predicated on the fact that the new system is better for certain people.

The attitude of "any medical school is good enough" isn't really a valid one - people have very important personal/professional reasons for wanting one school over another.

At the end of the day though, it is the May date that causes all the problems. The entire process should be moved up at least a month, starting from the actual OMSAS application. If it can be done in the US, where people are traveling from farther away and schools are sifting through many more applications, then it can be done here.

So, you're saying that spending 4 years at a school that doesn't match your learning style, isn't where your family is, or whatever other important personal reasons there is NOT a big deal, whereas waiting a month or two longer in uncertainty IS a big deal?

You seem to forget the new system doesn't make it any more likely for you to get in if you're on the wait list, the benefit is in when you know (which I'm not saying doesn't matter, but it's sure less important than where you will physically be spending the next 4 years).

You're right, one of the tenets of medicine is justice. Tell me how it is just to take away from those with an acceptance and a wait list to favor someone with 2 wait lists. Tell me why you think a system where it can be better to be rejected than accepted at a school for an individual is just.

In fact, my entire argument was that the old system was more just than the new one is. Your entire argument is predicated on the fact that the new system is better for certain people.

The attitude of "any medical school is good enough" isn't really a valid one - people have very important personal/professional reasons for wanting one school over another.

How?

Anyone would take an acceptance and a waitlist over 2 waitlists. If you get the former, there is no justice in demanding more at the expense of the latter group.

How?

Anyone would take an acceptance and a waitlist over 2 waitlists. If you get the former, there is no justice in demanding more at the expense of the latter group.

I disagree. I would rather take all (hopefully high ranking wait-lists) than one acceptance at my least preferred school, given the circumstances. And don't give me that bull about not applying to schools I didn't want to go to; I would attend all the schools I applied to if given no other option. The point is that the process of acceptance seemingly changed mid-season.

I disagree. I would rather take all (hopefully high ranking wait-lists) than one acceptance at my least preferred school, given the circumstances. And don't give me that bull about not applying to schools I didn't want to go to; I would attend all the schools I applied to if given no other option. The point is that the process of acceptance seemingly changed mid-season.

Tell that to someone who has been stuck on the waitlist all summer and never got in.

How?

It will hurt those who have relatively, but not exactly high, spots on the wait-list. Especially those who only received one invite. If people are choosing that school quickly, rather than some other preference they have, then the wait-listees won't be moving up as high.

Yes, but you would want HIGH wait-list positions. I would prefer one acceptance (a definite "in") at my lowest preference than a bunch of wait-lists. Personal opinion, of course.

Tell that to someone who has been stuck on the waitlist all summer and never got in.

I can imagine the agony.

I think the problem is that we can all be adults and live through it if med schools were able to ensure that people higher up on the their waitlist got first dibs at their dream school. The problem is that with this new system (and also the old one to a similar extent), some applicants might get in because they were more foolhardy/didnt have another choice and therefore would be able to play chicken with waitlists for longer. We can always accept it if a more deserving candidate (as determined by med schools) gets in before ourselves. What is difficult is if they get in simply because they had no other choices to tempt themselves with

Hear hear.

Last summer was quite possibly the most aggravating summer ever, being stuck in limbo like that.

I sympathize, but this new system won't change that - early waitlist movement will happen slightly earlier, while late waitlist movement will continue to happen at the same time. Y'all need to stick to issues that are actually relevant to the new system. Late waitlist movement will never be eliminated.

I sympathize, but this new system won't change that - early waitlist movement will happen slightly earlier, while late waitlist movement will continue to happen at the same time. Y'all need to stick to issues that are actually relevant to the new system. Late waitlist movement will never be eliminated.

And the responses were in regards to your statement that you would rather be waitlisted at all schools than accepted at one. :rolleyes:

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone here mentioned that this dropping provisional acceptance thing was mentioned on the U of T blog. Can someone post the link? I can't seem to find it. The only time I heard this was at the Ottawa interview.

Edit: nvm I found it. I didn't realize this thread was from last year lol.

No, at least that's not how it worked last year. If you accepted somewhere within Ontario (so any school connected through OMSAS), you were automatically taken off any other waitlists in the province. Which is why it sucks for people who got waitlisted at their top choice but accepted somewhere else. would you really turn down an acceptance in hopes that you're chosen off the waitlist later? not likely

Archived