Premed 101 Forums

No More Provisional Acceptance

How can they get another offer WITHIN the 2 week period after May 13? Think about it.

Well, what if a student accepts very quickly at another school? Then I suppose calls could be made to waitlist students (who might have another offer already)....

Then again, I would guess most accepted students will sit on that success for the full two weeks.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can they get another offer WITHIN the 2 week period after May 13? Think about it.

If someone gets multiple offers and cancels 2 or 3, someone else will get another offer from those declines (of course, it'll be within the first couple of days or so, but it's still within that time frame). Think about it.

+1. Sad but true.

Yes, if they're like me...I'd jump on the first offer regardless, but there is the other option.

Which schools are offering on the 13th? NOSM still states it's offering on the 15th and OMSAS says that the 13th is the first date for offers. I can't find the date on some of the other Web sites.

Ottawa said the 13th... and from the presentation it would seems all ontario schools meet and agree on these things so the OMSAS system is uniform. I would be really surprised, if all school don't release offers on the same day.

It would make more sense--perhaps some of the schools just have not updated their sites. Or they don't care. Lol.

I wonder if the schools will decide to send out more initial acceptances than normal (i.e. class size + a highly likely portion of normal waitlist movement [like 20-30 at bigger schools]) in order to secure more acceptances from their top choice of candidates. You would think they would take some measures to counter the effects this could have on their chances of having their top candidates matriculate into their school... or maybe they'd just rather go on summer vacation sooner :P

A school will not offer more initial acceptances than they have spots for. There is no way, because then they'd risk having to "take back" offers if everyone accepted. no way jose.

also - i am just re-confirming the topic of this thread. I was at a presentation in Ottawa where Chantal Renaud confirmed that there is ONLY firm acceptances this year.

That being said, its only for ontario schools. So, if you accept in Alberta, they aren't going to take your name off the waitlist at on Ontario school. They don't have access to know if you've accepted outside of Ontario.

A school will not offer more initial acceptances than they have spots for. There is no way, because then they'd risk having to "take back" offers if everyone accepted. no way jose.

also - i am just re-confirming the topic of this thread. I was at a presentation in Ottawa where Chantal Renaud confirmed that there is ONLY firm acceptances this year.

That being said, its only for ontario schools. So, if you accept in Alberta, they aren't going to take your name off the waitlist at on Ontario school. They don't have access to know if you've accepted outside of Ontario.

you are very wrong - all schools do it. Simple statistics can tell them how many they can accept safely without having this problem. Worst comes to worst, they will have an extra person in their class; class size isn't as rigid at that point in the game as it might seem now.

you are very wrong - all schools do it. Simple statistics can tell them how many they can accept safely without having this problem. Worst comes to worst, they will have an extra person in their class; class size isn't as rigid at that point in the game as it might seem now.

Some schools (not all) do make more offers of admissions than they have positions in the first round (Queen's for example, as of 2007 anyway, did not).

However, I disagree with you on your last point. Class size is very important and a school cannot simply add extra seats because they had more initial acceptances than they imagined.

It is very important for all schools to fill up their entering classes to capacity, no more and no less.

I am very confused by all this. Maybe my brain is too fried from trying to memorize all the structures for the TCA cycle metabolites or maybe I'm just slow lol but can someone explain what this means?? Using very small words please :P

Before you could decide say on May 15th to accept an offer from school X but also add a condition to it - that if later you are accepted at school Y (get off their waitlist) you will automatically accept the acceptance at Y, and get removed from school X's enrollement.

This process would slow things done considerably as waitlists wouldn't move as fast, and schools had to coordinate a bit.

Not so much on the new system - now it appears if you accept school X, then that is it - you are going to X and your are off of all other ontario waitlists.

Hope that helps!

Before you could decide say on May 15th to accept an offer from school X but also add a condition to it - that if later you are accepted at school Y (get off their waitlist) you will automatically accept the acceptance at Y, and get removed from school X's enrollement.

This process would slow things done considerably as waitlists wouldn't move as fast, and schools had to coordinate a bit.

Not so much on the new system - now it appears if you accept school X, then that is it - you are going to X and your are off of all other ontario waitlists.

Hope that helps!

IMO, this is how it should have been all along.

Works well for candidates (especially waitlistees) and works great for schools.

This will move wait-lists for people with potentially multiple offers, but it could also hurt people who are waitlisted at a single school.

If for example I get an offer from UofT but I really want Western and get waitlisted there, my original method would be to hold off on accepting UofT in favor of Western.

But now, someone who wants UofT but is waitlisted won't move up the spot that I otherwise would have abandoned if a space at Western opened up for me.

I certainly don't see a huge problem with the system however.

This will move wait-lists for people with potentially multiple offers, but it could also hurt people who are waitlisted at a single school.

If for example I get an offer from UofT but I really want Western and get waitlisted there, my original method would be to hold off on accepting UofT in favor of Western.

But now, someone who wants UofT but is waitlisted won't move up the spot that I otherwise would have abandoned if a space at Western opened up for me.

I certainly don't see a huge problem with the system however.

There will always be issues with the system at the micro (i.e. individual applicant) level.

However, the point is that at the collective level (i.e. provincial), this system would be more efficient for both applicants and schools and would hasten the process for many people (i.e. waitlistees).

This is why, in my mind, it is a step in the right direction (gotta look at the bigger picture!).

Hope that helps!

Thanks! So if you get school X but want school Y, for which your waitlisted for, you can wait until the deadline for acceptance for school X but then once that has passed you have to either choose school X or take your chances and wait for school Y. This is my understanding of it.

Sounds like a fair system to me. Just one question: how long do you have from when you get your acceptance letter to when you must accept/reject it? Is it something like two weeks (so you probably won't have time to get off the waitlist for school Y and must accept X) or longer (giving you a chance to wait it out for school Y)?

Sorry if I come off a little dumb, I'm so focused on school, volunteering, MCAT, etc that I haven't really thought much about all this kind of logistics stuff!

You get two weeks.

The thing is, in the past... no waitlist movement occurred at any school until that initial 2 week period was up.

So unless they start the waitlist offers quicker, if you get accepted to school X this year, you'll be forced to take it. Unless of course, you're willing to reject school X just to stay on another waitlist which would be a very risky strategy.

You get two weeks.

The thing is, in the past... no waitlist movement occurred at any school until that initial 2 week period was up.

So unless they start the waitlist offers quicker, if you get accepted to school X this year, you'll be forced to take it. Unless of course, you're willing to reject school X just to stay on another waitlist which would be a very risky strategy.

This is assuming one offer + waitlist offers. Some people could receive a number of offers--causing some movement quicker.

You get two weeks.

I hope nobody considers doing this.

I can't even imagine the tragedy after taking the risk and realizing they're not going to medical school in September.

This is assuming one offer + waitlist offers. Some people could receive a number of offers--causing some movement quicker.

I think supafield is saying that even if people accept immediately (open up spots in other schools), those schools do not start giving waitlist offers until after the initial 2 weeks.

Of course, this could change this year.

I think supafield is saying that even if people accept immediately (open up spots in other schools), those schools do not start giving waitlist offers until after the initial 2 weeks.

Of course, this could change this year.

Was this the previous practice (a two-wk wait)? Or the apparent incoming practice?

Fun stuff.

Last year and years before that.... not a single waitlist offer was made until after the initial 2 week decision window.

After they started making waitlist offers, it was then gradual and happen every few days depending on the school.

No mention of how it would go this year.

Last year and years before that.... not a single waitlist offer was made until after the initial 2 week decision window.

After they started making waitlist offers, it was then gradual and happen every few days depending on the school.

No mention of how it would go this year.

Thank you. Poor waitlisted ppl....gotta drag it out. Lol.

Archived