Premed 101 Forums

OFFICIAL countdown to May 14th

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are they just not going to say anything then make x number of offers? either i'm taking this process too seriously, or it's become a joke.

Maybe it will be a wonderful surprise! :)

But more likely they will accept the base amount (140ish) and if the seat number is larger, they'll accept a bunch off the waitlist.

Maybe it will be a wonderful surprise! :)

But more likely they will accept the base amount (140ish) and if the seat number is larger, they'll accept a bunch off the waitlist.

what makes you say that?

It is possible. A massive waitlist would suck big time though, especially since classes start so early for U of C.

They're sure looking disorganized right now. 5 days till acceptances are out, and they're still saying on their website that they don't know how many seats they'll have.

I am very disappointed at both schools for not being more upfront about this whole seat issue. I would have expected by now that they would have addressed the issue. They must know what they are going to do May 14th (ex. hand out 140 acceptances and have a big waitlist),and its really sad that they are keeping everything a big secret.

They are the Apple of med schools, but in a bad way!!!

P.S. I'm calling on Thursday and they better give me a response by then lol

I am very disappointed at both schools for not being more upfront about this whole seat issue. I would have expected by now that they would have addressed the issue. They must know what they are going to do May 14th (ex. hand out 140 acceptances and have a big waitlist),and its really sad that they are keeping everything a big secret.

It is incredibly unfortunate! I have to agree with much of what you've said. But looking at the bright side, im sure all of us are learning skills in coping with uncertainty, whether we wanted to or not (i personally could have done without the practice haha)!

I've gotto think they likely won't be answering them Thurs or Fri.

This. They should be transparent. Even if there are only options and no decisions yet, if they just communicated honestly, i think things would have worked out much better. They likely think it would hurt their negotiation position with the govt but there are ways in which it could actually help

Im kinda surprised that the med students on here haven't commented for a while. They might have heard something through the grapevine. Though official updates from the universities would certainly be better.

Sorry, we haven't heard anything through the grapevine.

Just a hunch. I'm still trying to keep my optimism and I'm hoping for no seat cuts at all :)

if only 140 seats go out, i wouldn't put a lot of stock in any more being added. If they couldn't get this sorted out by such an important deadline, I don't see any incentive for them to work even harder post May 14th. When people play games, someone has to lose.

A couple years ago they didn't find out about a seat increase until July. So the Gov't doesn't care about May 14th...they do things according to their own schedule. So anything can happen.

Well that musta been a nice surprise!

Unfortunately though, it's different this time. In the previous case, things happened as expected on May 14th right? The seats that were projected were still the same on offer day.

But I get your point..........still hope afterwards. I'm just not seeing much reason for it the way things have been handled up to this point.

I just hope this somehow magically is finalized this week. I rather not keep waiting.

I'll keep my patience and I hope others will too. I would rather wait patiently as they try to negotiate things through the summer than to have them give up just to finalize things before May 14th. It would be nice to know if there was anything I can do to help, but I can see how a whole bunch of panic-stricken premeds trying to do anything and everything to increase their chances of getting in can have a negative effect. Sometimes too much help is anti-productive... I'll keep my fingers crossed for no seat cuts :)

Hopefully I won't have to wait patiently all summer long though, I would love to be accepted right off the bat :) (and so would everyone else on here)! Less than a week!! Tick-tock, Tick-tock.

I'll keep my patience and I hope others will too. I would rather wait patiently as they try to negotiate things through the summer than to have them give up just to finalize things before May 14th. It would be nice to know if there was anything I can do to help, but I can see how a whole bunch of panic-stricken premeds trying to do anything and everything to increase their chances of getting in can have a negative effect. Sometimes too much help is anti-productive... I'll keep my fingers crossed for no seat cuts :)

Hopefully I won't have to wait patiently all summer long though, I would love to be accepted right off the bat :) (and so would everyone else on here)! Less than a week!! Tick-tock, Tick-tock.

LOL - you say you would rather wait......but then say not all summer - LOL nice try! "Yeah I'm cool with waiting.....say 5-8 days".

But I'm with you.....whatever it takes

:) Like everyone on here, I would prefer not to wait and be accepted right off the bat. But, if not given that option, I'll wait patiently on the waitlist as they try to work things out. I waited all summer last year on the waitlist and it was horrrible. But, if I have a glimmer of hope that they might add more seats, it will make the wait less horrible. :)

I'll take waiting over a flat out rejection any day! :D

:) Like everyone on here, I would prefer not to wait and be accepted right off the bat. But, if not given that option, I'll wait patiently on the waitlist as they try to work things out. I waited all summer last year on the waitlist and it was horrrible. But, if I have a glimmer of hope that they might add more seats, it will make the wait less horrible. :)

I'll take waiting over a flat out rejection any day! :D

Whatever happens, happens. But I'm all for a little bit of hope and a spoonful of optimism.

Good luck everyone!

Archived