Premed 101 Forums

OFFICIAL countdown to May 14th

Is it just me, or does everyone else find it kinda crappy that we have to wait till May 14th to find out if we get in? I meannnnn like seriously they know who they want. In fact, they knew who they wanted the day after the interviews. They get the interview score and then it gets put into a computer that computes everything according to weighting assigned to the interview and everything else....and a list is generated.

Sure it takes time to verify peoples CV and stuff butttttttt argh waiting SO long creates so much hype and suspense for that one day..May 14.

Its great if you get in that day...the suspense builds up to something amazing for u. But if you get rejected...it just makes it so much worse! All that suspense building up to that day just makes you feel like **** when you get rejected... haha i speak from experience. I hope that doesn't happen to me again..

orrrrr maybe I should just assume I didn't get in and not hope hahaha

seriously. whoever came up with may15/14 ...is there a history/story behind this? I know may15 is important for ppl in the US to get off waitlist.....i don't see how it fits the canadian med school system

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
seriously. whoever came up with may15/14 ...is there a history/story behind this? I know may15 is important for ppl in the US to get off waitlist.....i don't see how it fits the canadian med school system

I think it is a well devised plan, although a serious pain in the ass for us. They come out just late enough that you can't slack in your last semester by hearing that you got in, because let's face it if I knew I was in I wouldn't be stressing so hard about how I blew my finals. It also allows them the maximum possible time between submissions and acceptances, not that they should need it... but U of C seems to be holding onto every last second to make up their mind about seats.

I think it is a well devised plan, although a serious pain in the ass for us. They come out just late enough that you can't slack in your last semester by hearing that you got in, because let's face it if I knew I was in I wouldn't be stressing so hard about how I blew my finals. It also allows them the maximum possible time between submissions and acceptances, not that they should need it... but U of C seems to be holding onto every last second to make up their mind about seats.

for grad students who can extend their studies are forced to wrap up...not knowing where they will be next year

Is it just me, or does everyone else find it kinda crappy that we have to wait till May 14th to find out if we get in?

I agree with all of you. This waiting is awful and it certainly doesn't help our plans if we're trying to decide what to do with school. But, one good thing about this wait is at least that UofC sends out their acceptances around the same time as most other schools... giving people a free choice, should they be accepted to more than one. Others accept you early on and require you to pay deposit fees... (which of course I would gladly pay)... but at least we're not waiting till July (like my friend who applied to dental school!)

I think the reasoning behind it was so that everyone knows where they got in at once, so you didn't have a bunch of people accepting, then switching, and switching again, you just choose the one school off the bat and they don't have to worry about filling their class in september since there's 4 months to do that.

I think the reasoning behind it was so that everyone knows where they got in at once, so you didn't have a bunch of people accepting, then switching, and switching again, you just choose the one school off the bat and they don't have to worry about filling their class in september since there's 4 months to do that.

now that is a solid reason.

now that is a solid reason.

I asked Adele about this when she came to visit our school - that was the reason she gave. I think U of T does rolling interviews? So, they take extra time... blame Toronto... lol.

P.S. We're so close to the single digits!!!

I asked Adele about this when she came to visit our school - that was the reason she gave. I think U of T does rolling interviews? So, they take extra time... blame Toronto... lol.

But why not just tell us, and not let us respond till the 14th? Darned U of T. And they even get their news a day ahead of us!

But why not just tell us, and not let us respond till the 14th? Darned U of T. And they even get their news a day ahead of us!

That's kind of what they do in the U.S.

As someone who isn't accepted there yet, I can say that system is incredibly stressful for those who are waitlisted.

either way this is a moot point this year seeing as how they don't even know how many students they are accepting yet. If they don't tell us within a day or two, I suspect we will not know until the 14th. I had hoped we would know by now as people generally share good news, and keep the bad news to themselves until they absolutely have to tell (yes I'm a pessimist......)

isnt it obvious that they picked May 14 to commemorate Edward Jenner injecting cowpox into an 8 year old boy. jeeez...

From good ol' wiki:

MAY 14 1939 – Lina Medina becomes the world's youngest confirmed mother in medical history at the age of five.

Kids at the age of five! Somehow 16 year olds having kids just does not seem as bad anymore!

Good luck to everyone on May 14!

Archived