Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

Nope, still lots of time left obviously. You have good stats, why are you rewriting? To qualify for Ontario schools?

Send in your primary app + transcript asap.

Yeah, Im hoping to improve my writing score and possibly verbal to have a chance at Queens and/or Western. I also realize that theres a very good possibility that I may not be able to get into Canada and thus would like to apply to States as well. I was just worried that I would be wasting my time and money to apply to States if it was too late in the cycle.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I had a question about secondaries. I have my final reference coming in next week, now is it better to send in my secondary application now or wait until the reference is in and then send the seconday? or does it make a difference?

So I had a question about secondaries. I have my final reference coming in next week, now is it better to send in my secondary application now or wait until the reference is in and then send the seconday? or does it make a difference?

Send secondary immediately. It'll take them time to process it. I've already submitted 3 references. By this weekend I'm submiting a dozen more. Been working on so many essays rght now, my brain is going to explode.

I hope you mean secondaries here! a dozen reference letters+3 already seems a bit excessive?

I've submitted four so far, need to submit four more by the end of the week. I was secretly happy when VCU said they review files before they send out secondaries, I much rather not write essays if I'm not gonna have a chance anyways!

Law how many schools did you apply to?

Haha, I mean a dozen secondaries. :)

I applied to all the high end schools (well, almost all - shot in the dark) and a bunch of mid-to-low tier in cities I'd want to live in. Overall, I have probably about 35 schools or so. Sent out my secondaries so far for AECOM, UVM, and Mayo (well they requested LORs, not exactly difficult to do assign those). I would LOVE for Mayo to consider me, I'm encouraged because they screen before asking for LORs. Now I am just waiting for my supervisor to send my reference, he said he'd do it yesterday but it is still not in!!

PS - I have 6 reference letters because I'm in a grad program. 2 science, 1 non-science, and 3 from supervisor/MSc program advisors.

Hmm? UVM you mean university of Virginia right? I'm just filling in the secondary, it has three essays! AECOM just wanted LORS and a picture I got that done too. It's odd though, are you sure it's "UVM" that just want's LORs? Not getting it confused with another school? :P

EDIT: you meant vermont! got it now!

UVM as in University of Vermont. They only take US permanent residents this year though! I was referring to Mayo that wants just LORs. UVM had a brief questionaire and so did AECOM.

University of Virginia actually has 3 questions to answer (350 words each). :)

yes.. spent all day today writing those three! I hate that diversity questions...its so easy to fall in the cliche' for that!

That's what my weekend will be spent doing. I am going to use a merger of my answer to U of Michigan & Dartmouth to try to answer the diversity question. Gosh, so much to do. This weekend I hope I can get most of this stuff done.

Law, are you suggesting we send in the secondaries without all of the LORs in?

Won't this just be delayed until all you're assigned letters come in?

I am suggesting that. Certain schools will start review until LORs are in. Most of them won't, but I think it's better to have it done then not to. For example, I sent in the Mayo LOR request immediately. It took about 4 days to process once I submitted. You can save yourself a few days by submitting it now, so that as soon as the letter is available, your file will be good to go. A lot of the secondaries ask who your writers are going to be, so if they have to wait, then they will wait.

A word of caution though - I noticed Dartmouth says, as soon as 2 letters are received they will begin working on your file. So don't assign letters to them until all the letters you want to send are in.

PS - My supervisor just called me and said he'd upload my letter in the next 20 mins or so!

I am suggesting that. Certain schools will start review until LORs are in. Most of them won't, but I think it's better to have it done then not to. For example, I sent in the Mayo LOR request immediately. It took about 4 days to process once I submitted. You can save yourself a few days by submitting it now, so that as soon as the letter is available, your file will be good to go. A lot of the secondaries ask who your writers are going to be, so if they have to wait, then they will wait.

A word of caution though - I noticed Dartmouth says, as soon as 2 letters are received they will begin working on your file. So don't assign letters to them until all the letters you want to send are in.

PS - My supervisor just called me and said he'd upload my letter in the next 20 mins or so!

It's now 2 hrs later! Did he upload it?!?

ughhh, what's the q about?

The admissions committee requests that you write an essay that provides us with some insight into why you would like to join VCU School of Medicine.The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

The admissions committee requests that you write an essay that provides us with some insight into why you would like to join VCU School of Medicine.The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

LOL, limited length and 600 words... add that to the 500 words for why Yale (yes I'm a dreamer) and the two 600 words for Ohio State... bah....

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! so wisconsin sent me an email that one of my undergrad references is not acceptable cuz it does not talk about the undergraduate work or that I was in his class!!! I am in deep troubleeeeeeeeeeee now! I had assigned this person as one of my three undergrads for all the three secondaries I filled! It's too late to get a new undergrad reference, I'm gonnna falll behindddddddddddddddd!! nooooooooooooooooooo!

wisconsin person was nice though, told me to tell the referee to email them an addendum verifying that he knew me from his courses! but I think I am in deep s**t with all my other schools! should I call these other schools and ask what to do?! oh god oh god oh godddddddddddddd!

Most schools say MINIMUM of 3 letters. If you can get someone elses to do one ASAP you may still have a chance. I'd definitely e-mail all the schools though.

so I calle dup UVM and SLU and they're both fine with the letter, phewww! my heart was beating like crazzzy the past hour thank to wisconsin!

I think I should contact the rest of the schools I submit for on an indivdual basis rather than asking for a new reference altogether. it's faster this way,no?

Okay that's good to hear. If you can get another reference though, I would definitely do that though to save you the worry in the future. If you know another prof, ask them. Have you sent off the letters to all schools yet, or are they not yet assigned.

Finally got Boston University's secondary yesterday. I'm going to send them my prof's letter without departmental head signature, but if my prof does ever get it and upload that second letter lol, then I will send that one too.

Also, UCLA sent an update saying they're conducting preliminary reviews in February. Anybody else apply here? Does the e-mail mean we don't assign letters to them until they ask us to?

Just read Boston U's page for LOR info and it says:

"If you are enrolled in, or have completed, a formal, degree-granting program of graduate study, please provide a letter from the director of the program. If you are engaged in research, either as a part of a degree program or in any other substantive way, a letter from your research supervisor or the director of the research program would be appreciated."

Why would they want a letter from the director of the program? They have no idea who in the world any of us are! lol... did anybody not submit this letter and have trouble? I'm getting 3 letters from research supervisors/advisors, isn't that good enough?

I think they just changed this because earlier it said letter from supervisor cosigned by the head of the department. I am probably going to just send them this letter and that's it.

I have a bit of a naive question. Does it make a difference who writes your reference letter? I mean in the sense of Professor vs. Dean? Would a letter written by the Dean hold more weight than one by the Professor? I feel like I've read somewhere before that it might make a difference to US schools.

I have a bit of a naive question. Does it make a difference who writes your reference letter? I mean in the sense of Professor vs. Dean? Would a letter written by the Dean hold more weight than one by the Professor? I feel like I've read somewhere before that it might make a difference to US schools.

A strong recommendation from the dean will probably viewed more favourably than a strong letter from a professor. It depends though, I think overall, the content of the letter is the most important thing (given that the person writing it has strong qualifications).

Woo, submitted Dartmouth! Jefferson is also ready to go, but for some reason it isn't letting me submit. I e-mailed their adcom. Boston ready to go, but I just assigned letters and until they update, I can't submit. U of Michigan ready to go to, kinda, I'm still debating whether my answers are good enough.

Goals for tomorrow: SUNY downstate, Rosalind Franklin, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Virginia (U of V), and Chicago if I have time... gahhhh.

Archived