Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took a 3rd year biochemistry lab course which was worth half a credit but last the entire year. Does this count as a 4 credit hours because there was labs? Lectures were only once every few weeks.

I got recorded as 3 credit hours, but I think most schools realize Canadian schools do things differently.

Hey guys I just had a question. I was browsing the Studentdoc forums and many applicants had research and shadowing a doctor experience and some said they were really important. So I was wondering if majority of you have done both or any of them?

Hey guys I just had a question. I was browsing the Studentdoc forums and many applicants had research and shadowing a doctor experience and some said they were really important. So I was wondering if majority of you have done both or any of them?

US schools love clinical exposure, so if you can shadow... it would be amazing. It isn't always necessary though, althouh each school looks at applications differently.

I always feel weird when they ask for pictures. I think its the privacy mentality we all hold up here in Canada - also, I don't think a person's appearance should have any bearing on admissions (even if its subconcious). But I suppose a picture (literally) puts a face to the application :rolleyes:

I just got a call from this med student who's uploading my Boston U letter (w/chair of my dept signature) saying that the chair wrote (in pen) Agreed and signed just beneath it lol.. I thought that was kind of weird but I told him it's okay to upload it... does anyone else find that weird??

Hi, I'm kind of a newbie here. I'm planning to apply to a few American medical school and am in the process of completing my primary application. Can someone tell me when I should have all my reference letters in by? like, do the schools look at your application only when your letters arrive before they offer an interview? Also Ive noticed that a lot of the schools say that they take international students (Canadian) but the student would have to be exceptional. I have a 9, 12, 13 q (v/p/b) and 3.95 CGPA and was hoping to get into some schools with an average MCAT of 30 (10 in each section). Do you guys think I have a chance since I don't have a 10 in verbal?

thanks!

I will be taking pre-req courses this year from universities other than my home uni (where i did my undergrad) - lol srry for re-telling this story but this is just for those who are seeing my posts now. Do i have to create a transcript request form for these universities and does amcas need transcripts from them eventhough i clearly have no grades from them yet?

Hi, I'm kind of a newbie here. I'm planning to apply to a few American medical school and am in the process of completing my primary application. Can someone tell me when I should have all my reference letters in by? like, do the schools look at your application only when your letters arrive before they offer an interview? Also Ive noticed that a lot of the schools say that they take international students (Canadian) but the student would have to be exceptional. I have a 9, 12, 13 q (v/p/b) and 3.95 CGPA and was hoping to get into some schools with an average MCAT of 30 (10 in each section). Do you guys think I have a chance since I don't have a 10 in verbal?

thanks!

Hey, you should get the MSAR book - there are a lot of times they will accept students with a 9 in verbal in the states because your overall MCAT is high and your cGPA is very high. You are definitely competitive and should definitely apply to american med schools with your mcat range etc. You should check out the other posts on this website, which are known to accept canadians. And go through MSAR to apply to school with a high canadian acceptance rate.

good luck!

uh... the letter is just one word? :P

No, no this is the Boston U letter that requires the cosignature of the chair of the department. Basically, my supervisor wrote the letter and signed it then he asked the chair of our dept to sign. They added his info to the bottom of the letter, and gave it to him for his signature and apparently instead of just signing he wrote "agreed" and signed... lol

No, no this is the Boston U letter that requires the cosignature of the chair of the department. Basically, my supervisor wrote the letter and signed it then he asked the chair of our dept to sign. They added his info to the bottom of the letter, and gave it to him for his signature and apparently instead of just signing he wrote "agreed" and signed... lol

"QFT" or "+1" would've been funnier haha :P

hey guys, I've been reading into SDN and have been getting mixed opinions regarding if jefferson averages your multiple mcats or just uses your most recent score.

I got my secondary a while ago and just want to make sure before I spend the money if it's actually worth it.

Is anyone else having problems openning the pdf document that comes with Georgetown's secondary? the 2011 guide to applicants? This document really does not want to open on my computer and it keeps crashing everything everytime I try to download it. If you have it can you please pm me so I can give you my email? merci!

RE: MSU, I think we were considered at the same level as the OOS US applicants. If not I just wasted the secondary fees.

RE: Georgetown: it is the same document as on their web. Try this

http://som.georgetown.edu/docs/2011%20Guide%20to%20Application%20FINAL.pdf

and this

http://som.georgetown.edu/docs/2011%20Guide%20to%20Application%20Amendments%202010-06-21.pdf

for the small addendum

I feel sorta crazy...so I received an email from Einstein stating that they've received my AMCAS app and want me to fill out the secondary application.

However the email contains a link only to their admissions page and the secondary app page there has no further link...am I missing something? How did you guys access the AECOM secondary app??

I feel sorta crazy...so I received an email from Einstein stating that they've received my AMCAS app and want me to fill out the secondary application.

However the email contains a link only to their admissions page and the secondary app page there has no further link...am I missing something? How did you guys access the AECOM secondary app??

https://www.einstein.yu.edu/admissions/application/login.asp

and click Register to Apply.

Got 3 secondaries in one day. I feel a little burned out and still have at least 10 more to do for the US.

Hey Law, I'll be doing NYU today too - except, I haven't written the essay yet. What is the main strength of the school?

Personally, I'm absolutely in love with the NYU curriculum and living in NYC... AMAZING haha. I would KILL for a chance here!!

A few days ago Boston U emailed me saying my app was on hold until they received my supervisor's reference. It's been in for 3 days now and they haven't removed the hold on my application... should I email them or would this piss them off? They sent me the e-mail on July 13th and he uploaded it on the 14th haha. Maybe I should just wait.

Archived