Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

I've been writing mine for a few weeks lol... I just worked on it a little each day and sent it to old professors, friends, family, relatives for editing. Its just about finished and polished up now. It really helps to send it around and have other people edit it and provide feedback.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many days did you guys spend writing your ps?

I just want to get an estimate on minimum number of hours I should be spending. I think its pretty individual-specific but still...

I just started writing today

I've been writing mine for a few weeks lol... I just worked on it a little each day and sent it to old professors, friends, family, relatives for editing. Its just about finished and polished up now. It really helps to send it around and have other people edit it and provide feedback.

My PS is an edit of my U of T personal statement from 2 years ago. Obviously I have new experiences and I wanted to make it sound better than before. Took me about 10 days to finish it up and edit it. It went through at least a dozen drafts. Showed it to about 10 people or so for editing and comments. I don't think I was ever really happy with it, but eventually, you are nitpicking hardcore that it won't really make too much of a difference to the overall quality of it.

Edit: BTW, the version I had submitted 2 cycles ago took me about 3 weeks to write.

FINALLY my transcripts were received by AMCAS! I submitted just over a week ago and was waiting on those to get there.

Now question, once my application is verified using the transcript, will my application then be sent off to schools? Or will AMCAS wait til it has received all of my LORs before sending ??

FINALLY my transcripts were received by AMCAS! I submitted just over a week ago and was waiting on those to get there.

Now question, once my application is verified using the transcript, will my application then be sent off to schools? Or will AMCAS wait til it has received all of my LORs before sending ??

Your application has to be verified before they send it off. When your application says "is now complete" or something along those lines, it will then be forwarded.

I've been reading SDN , and have heard from ffriends who applied for dentistry in the states, that it is pretty common for applicants to phone up the admissions office and express their utmost sincere interest in attending that particular school. From what I gather, this goes a long way in being granted and interview and further in the final results. Is this true? If so, when do you call? who do you call?

IMO, this is sort of funny, in regards to applicant selection. I could potentiallly call all the schools I'm applying to and beg and plead on the phone, no? :P

Yeah, but don't annoy them too much!

Ugh looks like my supervisor can't send my reference this week. I'm gonna fall behind because of him. Hope he gets some time over the weekend.

Does anyone know, once you assign letters of evaluation to a school, are you able to add more later on? Or is it one time assign and that is it?

You can add more later. However, you can't remove them once you've assigned.

I have a question regarding the Work/Activities section in AMCAS application. Do we only enter volunteering works, research experiences, and extracurricular activities or should we also include paid works? I am thinking it is better not to include part-time jobs such as working as a cashier at KFC? Thanks.

I have a question regarding the Work/Activities section in AMCAS application. Do we only enter volunteering works, research experiences, and extracurricular activities or should we also include paid works? I am thinking it is better not to include part-time jobs such as working as a cashier at KFC? Thanks.

Enter paid works as well! They show responsibility, commitment, maturity... etc. You have to be able to present all your activities in a good manner.

Lucky you! I only have one received so far, waiting for another four. :rolleyes:

and today I was filling in the Wisconsin secondary and i hadn't realized before they need a letter from the dean of the grad department..eek! time for a quick letter request...shouldn't be too complicated just needs to say that they know i'm applying

I'm down to my last letter. My supervisor's letter is ready, he just needs to upload it!! I really hope he gets it done by tomorrow.

Hi guys,

Alright so i am taking 3 pre-req courses for american med schools in this upcoming school year. So since I can not make changes on the AMCAS application about coursework, how am I going to let these med schools know that I am going to take these courses in the future since there is no where I can put that info on the AMCAS application.

Do I have to contact the schools that I am applying to and let them know that I am going to complete the pre-reqs in the 2010-11 school year?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Alright so i am taking 3 pre-req courses for american med schools in this upcoming school year. So since I can not make changes on the AMCAS application about coursework, how am I going to let these med schools know that I am going to take these courses in the future since there is no where I can put that info on the AMCAS application.

Do I have to contact the schools that I am applying to and let them know that I am going to complete the pre-reqs in the 2010-11 school year?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

You actually are supposed to list them in the app as future courses. Once you enter the course code, name, and credit hours, beneath it there are little boxes you can tick off. One says future/upcoming course or something like that. That way the schools have an idea you are going to complete the pre-reqs.

I made a thread asking this question earlier but I got no response so I will try my luck here. I was wondering if its too late to start applying for American schools right now. I will probably be able to submit my primaries sometime next week or the week after. I know the earlier the better but I do have competitive stats (3.89 cGPA, 13/10/12 O mcat but rewriting for 3rd time tomorrow). Is it still worth it to apply this late? Thank you for your input and help.

I made a thread asking this question earlier but I got no response so I will try my luck here. I was wondering if its too late to start applying for American schools right now. I will probably be able to submit my primaries sometime next week or the week after. I know the earlier the better but I do have competitive stats (3.89 cGPA, 13/10/12 O mcat but rewriting for 3rd time tomorrow). Is it still worth it to apply this late? Thank you for your input and help.

Nope, still lots of time left obviously. You have good stats, why are you rewriting? To qualify for Ontario schools?

Send in your primary app + transcript asap.

Archived