Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most schools send out secondaries before references are received by AMCAS. Some schools even send out secondaries before your primary is verified...so you might get some soon Law lol.

Woo. How exciting! Does anyone know how I can find out the questions for some of these secondaries, will start working on them over the weekend if I can. :P I'm giving it my all this time around, I better get in!!

Woo. How exciting! Does anyone know how I can find out the questions for some of these secondaries, will start working on them over the weekend if I can. :P I'm giving it my all this time around, I better get in!!

If you go to SDN, there is a subforum for School Specific Discussions, if you look at 2009-2010, you'll find last years prompts for secondary essays. They tend to stay the same year to year for most schools.

Good luck writing!

Do references have to be in before secondaries are sent out?

Nope. Secondaries are sent pretty quickly, as mentioned. Obviously you won't be complete until all items are sent in (secondary, fee, and LORs). Also, I second the suggestion to check out the 'School Specific Discussions' forum on SDN. Should give you a pretty good timeline for each school, and when secondaries/interviews/acceptances go out (although this can obviously change from year to year).

Did anyone apply to Boston U? I'm reading their LOR requirements from last year on SDN, and it says:

"Students who are enrolled in graduate programs are asked to submit at least one letter from their thesis advisor, counter-signed by the Chair of the Department in which they are concentrating."

I find it weird that I have to get the chair of the department to cosign. Can I send one letter that only has my supervisor on it and one that has both, him and the chair (specifically for Boston U)?

Did anyone apply to Boston U? I'm reading their LOR requirements from last year on SDN, and it says:

"Students who are enrolled in graduate programs are asked to submit at least one letter from their thesis advisor, counter-signed by the Chair of the Department in which they are concentrating."

I find it weird that I have to get the chair of the department to cosign. Can I send one letter that only has my supervisor on it and one that has both, him and the chair (specifically for Boston U)?

Yes, since you have up to 10 slots to fill with reference letters in the AMCAS system, theoretically, you could just have one special letter assigned to Boston U which has both signatures on it. Although I see no harm in having your department chair sign and having that letter sent to all schools, rather than only Boston U.

Regarding some of the LORs that schools want...

Did you guys know your bio/chem/physics profs if you asked them for a letter?

Am i the only person who didn't know their profs in a class of 500?

I've maintained such great relationships with thesis professors and supervisors...but not my regular profs...

I need help...and I'm probably going to scratch Boston off the list because of that stupid co-chair thing.

Regarding some of the LORs that schools want...

Did you guys know your bio/chem/physics profs if you asked them for a letter?

Am i the only person who didn't know their profs in a class of 500?

I've maintained such great relationships with thesis professors and supervisors...but not my regular profs...

I need help...and I'm probably going to scratch Boston off the list because of that stupid co-chair thing.

I know a couple of my profs from UG really well (from my big classes). I don't know any non-science profs well though, and for schools that want non-science faculty letters, I'll have to hope to God one of the profs is willing to write me one.

I find it weird for Boston you need that cosignature, but I'm not going to scratch them because I really like their school!

What do you guys think about an Anatomy or Physiology prof? You think that will satisfy their science needs in terms of the LOR?

I don't think the particular class really matters that much. I'm going to use an organic chem prof and a prof who taught me different biochem courses over 3 years.

I applied to BU this last cycle as a U of T IMS grad student and had my supervisor submit a letter, but it wasn't co-signed by anyone. I got an interview, so I imagine it was fine. If they have any doubts, they'll email you to let you know.

I applied to BU this last cycle as a U of T IMS grad student and had my supervisor submit a letter, but it wasn't co-signed by anyone. I got an interview, so I imagine it was fine. If they have any doubts, they'll email you to let you know.

Perfect. I'll do the same then.

Does anyone have tips for what to tell reviewers to address in the reference letter? OMSAS has that checklist sheet that gives the reviewers topics to think about, but AMCAS doesn't have this. Any tips?

I also forgot to mention that some schools will ask you for proof (usually in the form of a letter from a grad coordinator or supervisor) that you're in the final year of your MSc and will be finished before classes start.

To fulfill this requirement you can either:

A) Have your supervisor explicitly mention it in the letter (i.e. Student X will finish his MSc degree by ____); or

B) Fax the school a copy of your recently completed committee forms (from your last meeting), which are signed by your supervisor and committee, and should indicate the expected completion date of your degree.

I used option B) only for schools that did not accept option A) alone.

I also forgot to mention that some schools will ask you for proof (usually in the form of a letter from a grad coordinator or supervisor) that you're in the final year of your MSc and will be finished before classes start.

To fulfill this requirement you can either:

A) Have your supervisor explicitly mention it in the letter (i.e. Student X will finish his MSc degree by ____); or

B) Fax the school a copy of your recently completed committee forms (from your last meeting), which are signed by your supervisor and committee, and should indicate the expected completion date of your degree.

I used option B) only for schools that did not accept option A) alone.

Thanks PW for the information. Will they ask for this immediately, or do I have time to get this stuff done?

Thanks PW for the information. Will they ask for this immediately, or do I have time to get this stuff done?

They usually have this indicated either in the secondary or on the website (i.e. "For graduate students, we require documentation from their home department indicating their expected date of completion" or something to that effect). I chose to ignore it and submit my materials as they were. As I said, my supervisor indicated my completion date in his letter, so I can only assume that it sufficed for most schools. Only a few schools followed up with me saying that they required proof from the department (they did this after secondaries, fees and LORs had been submitted). I emailed those schools individually and asked whether my committee documentation would suffice, as it was signed by my supervisor AND my committee. They all agreed to that. I definitely did not contact the IMS for anything regarding med applications.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you guys need anymore info.

On AMCAS system it says:

Transmission of applicant data to the medical schools will not begin until June 25, 2010.

Does this mean that I shall aim to get my primary verified before that date? Roughly how long would that take if I plan to submit on the 21st?

On AMCAS system it says:

Does this mean that I shall aim to get my primary verified before that date?

Absolutely. There was a similar message last year. Medical schools will begin receiving AMCAS-verified data after that date. You obviously also won't begin receiving secondaries until after this date (AFAIK from last year).

Edit: Didn't see your edit. Timeline is hard to gauge. I think it can be as fast as 1-2 weeks if you submit early. There is another thread here started by Law which shows dates submitted and how long it took for verification.

Absolutely. There was a similar message last year. Medical schools will begin receiving AMCAS-verified data after that date. You obviously also won't begin receiving secondaries until after this date (AFAIK from last year).

Edit: Didn't see your edit. Timeline is hard to gauge. I think it can be as fast as 1-2 weeks if you submit early. There is another thread here started by Law which shows dates submitted and how long it took for verification.

Hmm it does seem like it would take 1-2 weeks. I guess I should aim to have it done within the next few days, too bad I got the MCAT next Thursday. Sigh.. all this is happening way too fast for me.

Although that's for this cycle - so info is still being collected. As of now, based on the thread that exists on SDN, they're still entering people from June 4/5th. My friend who submitted last year (THX) said he submitted on June 10th last year and was verified on June 25th. I submitted June 8 and I'm still awaiting verification.

They usually have this indicated either in the secondary or on the website (i.e. "For graduate students, we require documentation from their home department indicating their expected date of completion" or something to that effect). I chose to ignore it and submit my materials as they were. As I said, my supervisor indicated my completion date in his letter, so I can only assume that it sufficed for most schools. Only a few schools followed up with me saying that they required proof from the department (they did this after secondaries, fees and LORs had been submitted). I emailed those schools individually and asked whether my committee documentation would suffice, as it was signed by my supervisor AND my committee. They all agreed to that. I definitely did not contact the IMS for anything regarding med applications.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you guys need anymore info.

Thanks PW - really useful info. Since I should be having another PAC meeting next month, I can definitely ensure I draft a letter indicating when I will finish for everyone to sign.

Hi there:

Did anyone apply to Penn State without a course in behavioral sciences (pschology, sociology etc)? Are they really strict about it? When I called the admission lady, she was not very helpful and said I should apply and the let the adcom decide on it?

BTW: I have no room for such a course in upcoming year!

Thanks

Hi there:

Did anyone apply to Penn State without a course in behavioral sciences (pschology, sociology etc)? Are they really strict about it? When I called the admission lady, she was not very helpful and said I should apply and the let the adcom decide on it?

BTW: I have no room for such a course in upcoming year!

Thanks

You can apply, then get interviewed/accepted and then take the course the following summer if you want.

Archived