Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

Ugh unfortunately I probably won't be done my applications till late August or early September because I'm planning on asking my references for letters in mid-July since the Canadian schools' applications don't open up until then and also one of my references won't be able to give a good one until at least August/September.

Do I still have decent chances?

Ask them early and do it asap. You're screwing yourself if you wait till September.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ask them early and do it asap. You're screwing yourself if you wait till September.

Hmm also if I send my transcript in now it won't have my registered courses for next year (which includes 2 courses I need as prereqs for some Unis). Should I still send it in?

Hmm also if I send my transcript in now it won't have my registered courses for next year (which includes 2 courses I need as prereqs for some Unis). Should I still send it in?

Well, your transcript does not have to show upcoming classes. It says in the manual that you enter upcoming classes in and check off "future classes" or something.

+1, future classes will not be checked during the verification process as there's no way for them to get your mark for that class cause it didn't happen yet.

during the verification process, only courses that are completed and graded will be included in your GPA calculation.

Just mark your prereq courses as "Future/current".

I'm assuming we have to wait for OTs before we can request them to send, right? I'm from UWO and while I know prelim grades can be accessed, I'm not sure if official transcripts are out yet, anyone know?

Thanks. :]

What does OT mean?

If you can see your grades on Student Center - Academic Summary...then that means they should be available on your official transcript.

So...I want to apply to Dartmouth. They do, however, require one semester of calculus...the other schools I want to apply to do NOT require calc as Stats is enough for them.

Now, I really don't have any intention of taking calc, but only if I get an interview (and theoretically) an acceptance from Dartmouth, will I take it.

The question is then, should I apply anyways and put it in my future courses?

what you would premeders do?

So...I want to apply to Dartmouth. They do, however, require one semester of calculus...the other schools I want to apply to do NOT require calc as Stats is enough for them.

Now, I really don't have any intention of taking calc, but only if I get an interview (and theoretically) an acceptance from Dartmouth, will I take it.

It says in the manual, future courses are not binding and so, put it down and you don't have to take it if you don't have to. ;) Gluck.

That's what I'm doing right now. Accepted to Dartmouth, doing calculus.

Ooo, nice! Congrats man. :) As crappy as calculus is (and wtf, why the heck you need it to be a doctor is beyond me) - I'd gladly do it for Dartmouth. :D

Thanks.

Yep, I wonder the exact same thing everyday while I sit in class..how are these derivatives ever going to help me..=(

I think OT means official transcript, but I'm not sure what tennisgirl is referring to.

So once your 'unofficial' grades are out, then official transcripts can be printed/sent? I guess this is also indicated by the results of the intent to register adjudication process, right? I guess I always thought grades had to become "official" before official transcripts were available, but i guess not.... oops... :(

lol... thanks guys!

So once your 'unofficial' grades are out, then official transcripts can be printed/sent? I guess this is also indicated by the results of the intent to register adjudication process, right? I guess I always thought grades had to become "official" before official transcripts were available, but i guess not.... oops... :(

lol... thanks guys!

Just send them out now, if problems arise later, you can always send it again. Try to get verified ASAP.

lol... thanks guys!

If you're from UWO....grades had been already adjudicated last month no?

Anyways, like what Law said...send out your transcript asap because it takes a while to process, both on the UWO and AMCAS side.

How did people deal with this? Any help is appreciated:

Let's say you have a number of presentations/conferences attended or whatever and you want to lump them under one heading. What do you with the "date of presentation"?

I'm not sure which date I should put in?

Let's say you have a number of presentations/conferences attended or whatever and you want to lump them under one heading. What do you with the "date of presentation"?

Leave one major presentation as the title and then have the date for that major presentation. Then just lump all smaller things under it and also have a date in the description as well for each of the smaller things.

I just titled it "Posters, Conferences & Presentations" and listed them all. I picked the date for the most recent, and then in the description of each one cited them properly with dates.

PS, if I'm preparing to submit another manuscript right now, can I write under research experiences or something... 'preparing to submit'.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (likely on SDN) that adcoms don't really put a lot of weight on papers that are being prepared or submitted but unpublished. I'm sure it won't hurt your applications but I don't think it will help your application either. However, once that paper does get published, you can write an update letter to the schools (even before you get invited for an interview) and they can update your files that way.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (likely on SDN) that adcoms don't really put a lot of weight on papers that are being prepared or submitted but unpublished. I'm sure it won't hurt your applications but I don't think it will help your application either. However, once that paper does get published, you can write an update letter to the schools (even before you get invited for an interview) and they can update your files that way.

We'll see, I'm sure each school is pretty different and I know that it can't hurt. So I'll just include and we'll see.

I am over by 22 characters in my final draft of my personal statement. Grrr. Submitting tonight!

Archived