Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I wouldn't do that, but maybe let's see what other forum members think?

Reason I'm thinking this is because if they're reviewing it very quickly, they may not notice it, where as if I list it in the publication section alone, it'll definitely be noticed. I think I'm going to end up listing it under publications and make sure that it's clearly stated that it's only accepted for review right now.

Anybody else have input?

Reason I'm thinking this is because if they're reviewing it very quickly, they may not notice it, where as if I list it in the publication section alone, it'll definitely be noticed. I think I'm going to end up listing it under publications and make sure that it's clearly stated that it's only accepted for review right now.

Anybody else have input?

A chicken isn't a chicken until it hatches from the egg.

If it gets published, then submit an update letter to schools.

A chicken isn't a chicken until it hatches from the egg.

If it gets published, then submit an update letter to schools.

Well, I'm going to put it down under publication, list the submission #/manuscript ID and write that it's under review. Since there's no firm guidelines about this, I think this will make it look better than just to list it as a run of the mill research experience. It's all about presentation, and I don't think this is quite the time to be modest. ;):P

My university sent in the transcript on 05/26/2010 and my AMCAS app still shows that they haven't received it. Do you know the wait time?

I sent mine in about 2 weeks ago and it was received about a week later for all my schools.

I sent mine in about 2 weeks ago and it was received about a week later for all my schools.

Thanks Law!

Also, I had another question. If I plan to take an extra course at Athabasca and I've already submitted my AMCAS application, how can I notify AMCAs about this other school? I'm not taking a prereq there, just an elective.

Thanks Law!

Also, I had another question. If I plan to take an extra course at Athabasca and I've already submitted my AMCAS application, how can I notify AMCAs about this other school? I'm not taking a prereq there, just an elective.

You can just notify each school individually later on that you took an extra course, update them via email.

Hey guys,

I was wondering something regarding the primary essay.

I've applied to UofT before, so I have a pretty decent letter of intent for that, should I be using a similar letter? or even the same one?

What did you guys put in yours?

Hey guys,

I was wondering something regarding the primary essay.

I've applied to UofT before, so I have a pretty decent letter of intent for that, should I be using a similar letter? or even the same one?

What did you guys put in yours?

I personally had the essentially the same thing, but with a bit more added in for the U of T one because it allowed for more characters.

The prompt is fairly similar for personal statements to be interchanged I believe...

That's what I'm doing now, first draft of sketch is done. Sending to friends to review it. Working on my essay now. Goal is to submit by Tuesday.

Edit: Feels so good to finally be back in the cycle again! It was kinda crappy having to wait a year to apply again. :P

That's what I'm doing now, first draft of sketch is done. Sending to friends to review it. Working on my essay now. Goal is to submit by Tuesday.

Edit: Feels so good to finally be back in the cycle again! It was kinda crappy having to wait a year to apply again. :P

Good luck applying this cycle! I'm sure alot of members here can provide you with alot of feedback re: any interviews you get!

I'm also considering re-using my U of T essay (perhaps with some modifications as it has been a year) but I didn't get an interview at U of T this year.. which makes me mildly nervous about that, hehe.

Can anyone suggest some good essay writing tips for the States? Are they looking for something in particular?

Would anyone be willing to give feedback on an essay as well?

This thread has definitely been a lifesaver while applying to American schools... it'd be rather overwhelming otherwise!

Good luck applying this cycle! I'm sure alot of members here can provide you with alot of feedback re: any interviews you get!

Thanks so much. I'm working on my personal statement right now and need 2000 more characters!! haha.

how did you guys get your transcripts? Did you use those forms from OMSAS?

should I just fax them into my school's registrar?

I faxed my transcript request form to my school's registrar and they mailed it out. Do it asap cause it'll take a while and AMCAS takes a while to enter them into the system.

I faxed my transcript request form to my school's registrar and they mailed it out. Do it asap cause it'll take a while and AMCAS takes a while to enter them into the system.

I just wanted to confirm that AMCAS only verifies your grades after your submit your application, right?

I just wanted to confirm that AMCAS only verifies your grades after your submit your application, right?

Correct. Before your submission it might say something like "your transcripts are received".

Nothing will actually be done until you press submit.

how did you guys get your transcripts? Did you use those forms from OMSAS?

should I just fax them into my school's registrar?

Faxed my transcript requests with a cover letter saying to include the signed form with the transcript.

Faxed my transcript requests with a cover letter saying to include the signed form with the transcript.

I was also on the phone with them at the same time - to make sure they received the fax, to pay with my credit card and to make sure they knew what to do with it. Can never be too safe ;)

Ugh unfortunately I probably won't be done my applications till late August or early September because I'm planning on asking my references for letters in mid-July since the Canadian schools' applications don't open up until then and also one of my references won't be able to give a good one until at least August/September.

Do I still have decent chances?

Archived