Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

Ahh, one of my profs isn't getting back to me on whether he can do the reference or not! I just sent him another e-mail yesterday, but still no response. He's been a reference for me for the last 2 cycles I applied (2007-2008, 2008-2009), so I'm sure he doesn't mind... but it's unusual he hasn't responded!

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He might be on vacation, away on business, sick, etc.

He's definitely one of my best references. There are only 2 undergrad profs who know me very well, so I'm hoping he replies soon... especially since med schools get these applications on June 25. Trying to keep things moving ASAP.

Can anyone confirm whether we would still be able to assign letters to med schools post the initial submission?

I know we can add new LORS post-submission, but can we also assign/reassign pre-submission LORS?

I am asking because I have five LORS listed now, but I'm a bit hesitant to assign them to my schools right now, because I'm still waiting to hear from two other profs (possible refrees). I don't want to delay submitting my app because of this.

So can I submit now and assign the LORS later?

You can add referees, assign referees to particular schools after submitting. You probably cannot change the credentials of a previously added referee. You can designate a previously added referee as "not going to submit a letter" if you find that is the case. Do not delay submitting on this account.

May be someone more experienced will come in and help, but I did not think it is a good idea to be in a hurry to assign letters to schools as yet. This is because the specific instructions regarding LORs come with the secondaries.

I may be wrong, but school do not need LORs to decide if an applicant is going to get a secondary.

You can add referees, assign referees to particular schools after submitting. You probably cannot change the credentials of a previously added referee. You can designate a previously added referee as "not going to submit a letter" if you find that is the case. Do not delay submitting on this account.

May be someone more experienced will come in and help, but I did not think it is a good idea to be in a hurry to assign letters to schools as yet. This is because the specific instructions regarding LORs come with the secondaries.

I may be wrong, but school do not need LORs to decide if an applicant is going to get a secondary.

Yes very true. Submit ASAP. Deal with assigning referees afterwards. You can still add them after you submit.

Hey, does anyone know how AMCAS/med school treat MCAT that's written after you submitted the primary apps which is not specified on the MCAT section of the application. I'm in a sticky situation right now. I just wrote my MCAT yesterday and honestly, I didn't feel comfortable with how it went. I am planning to take MCAT again in three weeks but I don't know how it will be viewed by med schools if I don't specify it on the application (i.e. I have my score from yesterday released to them but I don't specify the one I am going to take on July 8th until I find out my score). And also, in general, how is taking MCAT multiple times viewed in US? Thanks.

About that, from what I read it seemed that the universities will hold the app until they receive a score to become "complete". I don't know if that means if your apps will get looked at but put on hold since you already have a MCAT score or that it won't be assessed at all.

Since you can make post-submission changes to add your MCAT, I'm not sure if you'll be penalized if you *don't*. It might come up during interviews since they will review your file and see all your MCAT attempts.

It's been a week since my transcript were supposed to have gone out from my university transcript center. Should I start to be worried if it doesn't show up on AMCAS by the end of today?

My essay and sketches are mostly ready, just waiting for the damn transcript to arrive to submit:mad:

Gah, I sent a reference letter request to a prof who's written me two med school LORs (2 fridays ago and then again last thursday) and I have not heard a reply back. I'm not sure if I should still try one final time or not. He's an amazing prof and I know he wouldn't mind helping me, but he's probably really busy. He hasn't ever had problems replying before. This is so frustrating he's the last person I need to accept to write my reference!

It's been a week since my transcript were supposed to have gone out from my university transcript center. Should I start to be worried if it doesn't show up on AMCAS by the end of today?

My essay and sketches are mostly ready, just waiting for the damn transcript to arrive to submit:mad:

Yeah, I don't think your transcript has to be in for you to submit. Honestly, submitting puts you in line and they'll review it faster once the transcript gets in.

Hi

I am new to the whole US application process and am still a bit unsure about whether to apply this cycle so I am hoping for some suggestions from you guyz.

I just finished my undergrad studies in May and am still not sure on whether I will be taking the next year off or whether I will be doing a two year MSc masters. If I do apply this summer and then decide to take on the masters in September, what would happen to my application in that scenario.

Even if I did get an interview, would they disqualify me if I they realize I have just started a masters.

I am very confused and any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Woo my prof e-mailed me back today. Looks like I've got 6 references in order now. 3 from undergrad (2 sci + 1 non-sci) and 3 from my MSc.

Hey Law,

In regards to Science LOR, does it have to be from BCPM prof or can it be from any profs within the faculty of Science?

Hey Law,

In regards to Science LOR, does it have to be from BCPM prof or can it be from any profs within the faculty of Science?

Each school's policies are slightly different. On Boston U's page they specifically stated at least 2 profs from B, C, or P... I e-mailed them and they told me my biochem and orgo profs would suffice. I think try to get them from profs in BCP or related fields for the science requirement is good enough.

Hi

I am new to the whole US application process and am still a bit unsure about whether to apply this cycle so I am hoping for some suggestions from you guyz.

I just finished my undergrad studies in May and am still not sure on whether I will be taking the next year off or whether I will be doing a two year MSc masters. If I do apply this summer and then decide to take on the masters in September, what would happen to my application in that scenario.

Even if I did get an interview, would they disqualify me if I they realize I have just started a masters.

I am very confused and any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Some schools require in your supervisor's letter for him or her to state that you are expecting to defend your thesis by a certain date. If you don't think you'll be done, I don't know if it's a good idea applying - but to be honest, each school has different policies, so you should investigate each one that you are applying to.

Some schools require in your supervisor's letter for him or her to state that you are expecting to defend your thesis by a certain date. If you don't think you'll be done, I don't know if it's a good idea applying - but to be honest, each school has different policies, so you should investigate each one that you are applying to.

Thanks!! I guess I'll start off with asking my prof if that will be okay!

How early is early for reference letters? Is first week of July early? Med schools receive the primaries on June 25th. I told my referees to try to get them in by June 30th. So far I have only 1 reference (/6) that has been sent out. I think most will be in by the 30th, but some may take a bit longer. I'm trying to get these apps out ASAP to give me the best possible chance! If I manage to have my references in by the end of the first week of July, do you think that's still early enough? I just want my application to be complete quick! So many secondaries... ahhhh.

weee, my transcript final arrived. I'm going to proof read my sketch and submit tonight. Hey Law, did you add your referees after the primary? Will it generate letter IDs right away for you?

I added my referees after primaries. It will generate letter IDs right away. Just make sure after you enter the referees to click "submit" again and then click "ok" to all the warnings, otherwise it won't save your entries.

I have a question about Interfolio delivery to AMCAS:

I suspect some of my letter writers didn't include the AMCAS Letter Request Form in their package (but they did include the correct IDs on the letter itself). Did past applicants add the Letter Request Form to the delivery? If so, did you do a separate delivery for each letter to show which Letter Request Form matched up with each letter?

Thanks!

Law: I'm waiting on LOEs too. One of mine also came in today. Let's hope for the best and send friendly reminders :)

I have a question about Interfolio delivery to AMCAS:

I suspect some of my letter writers didn't include the AMCAS Letter Request Form in their package (but they did include the correct IDs on the letter itself). Did past applicants add the Letter Request Form to the delivery? If so, did you do a separate delivery for each letter to show which Letter Request Form matched up with each letter?

Thanks!

Law: I'm waiting on LOEs too. One of mine also came in today. Let's hope for the best and send friendly reminders :)

One of my profs had said "AMCAS will tell me when to send them"... and when I e-mailed him back I said, you can send it as of now and gave him letter ID and AAMC ID... I hope he's not waiting for another notice from AMCAS lol.

Archived