Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

That's pretty weird. I got an email from EVMS to fill in the secondary last week. I have 0 shadowing experience. :o My stats are mediocre at best

Well, I'm jealous! As I mentioned before, I was a little surprised at this rejection and then to be told I dont have enough shadowing experience? I mean, COME ON! haha oh well, what can ya do? I wish you luck though! :)

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I'm jealous! As I mentioned before, I was a little surprised at this rejection and then to be told I dont have enough shadowing experience? I mean, COME ON! haha oh well, what can ya do? I wish you luck though! :)

It might be luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a reviewer who relates to you, sometimes you don't... just hang in there and keep applying everyone! :)

Gl to you as well. If its any consolation, you probably have already completed more secondaries so far than I have gotten. ;)

So AECOM was taking forever to mark my application complete (more than 2 weeks since submitting) so I called them today. Absolute sweetheart on the phone, she completed my application while I waited on the phone!

Meanwhile, MSU and SUNY Upstate, dont allow callers to even speak to a real person! The machine just tells me to look online for my application status...grrr.

Regardless, I'm off to Mexico tomorrow and I'm going to forget (or try to) about Med apps for a full week!:D

that;s nice...they weren't as kind to me! and I've submitted for three weeks now!

just completed NYMC...I looooooove easy secondaries!

Ugh, I got NYMC today too but their crap about it being basic science professors as references has me angry again. I emailed them to clarify my situation. I'm only going to submit my secondary there if they are willing to accept my letters as is.

On a brighter note, also now complete at RFU!

Great! now we just need to get to that interview pool!

I have a question...so USC want's a meaningful leadership or life experience that led to decision to pursue med school. Firstly, I think it's very outdated and naive to assume that everyone had that one experience that was the turning point, that everyone went for surgery one day and thought oh cool, I wanna do that too! I don't have a particular experience, everything sort of played out to that final decision, so it was more like many many events and experiences rather than just one. Do you think I should explain this? or just come up with one creative even/experience for that question?

I would probably do a ranking type answer for that question. maybe go through your life experiences and rank the top 3 that helped in shaping your decision towards medicine. if the events/experiences build upon each other, that would really help in writing a concise and flowing essay. this is sorta how i wrote my personal statement actually.

should we revive the accepted rejected thread and make a new interview invite thread? I noticed from SDN some schools have begun sending out rejections and interviews already. BU in particular seems to have rejected quite a few already.

Yeah, I don't see why not. I find those threads super helpful. And it'll probably get people who don't usually post in this thread to at least let us know their status if they find out. Since its your idea, you can start the thread! :)

I think Law should make it...he's applied to the most schools, will likely be getting the most interview, and will thus have more results to display...:P

(I'm just too lazy to make formal threads :))

lol, I'm sure they'll be swooning over the 5 VR I got 2 years ago. :eek::P

Anywho, I made the accepted/rejected/waitlisted thread a while back and just made an interview invite thread. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

*starts playing electrodance music*

either that... or we'll start eye of the tiger..

International Applicants

International Applications

Applications are accepted only from US citizens and permanent residents as long as the undergraduate, premedical course work has been done in the United States or Canada and the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) has been or will be taken. If the undergraduate, premedical course work has been done outside the US or Canada the applicant must recieve a degree from an institution in the United States or Canada and meet other requirements.

That is what was on their website?! http://www.wfubmc.edu/School/MD-Program/International-Applicants.htm

I got wayne's secondary yesterday as well, $84,500 a year seems a little much for me, not sure if I'm going to send it in.

I think that number may a bit exaggerated. For instance, on budget page, it states $87/month for phone. I think that's a bit high...

But, the tuition fee is $60k, which is a lot. Maybe thats why they are very friendly to Canadians.. :rolleyes:

I am starting to believe my application is cursed! First it was with BU taking a month to send me the secondary saying it kept bouncing back from my email (where as my email seems to be working fine for everywhere else!) and now it's SUNY upstate! I called to check why I'm still marked as incomplete and apparently my primary AMCAS application is not int heir data base anymore! Really strange, since I've been verified to get the secondary, they have my LORs but the primary is gone!!! I'm gonna call up eveyother school to check if they have my primary now! I hate amcas:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That's ridiculous!!

I'm still marked as incomplete at SUNY upsate too... I should call them too.

EDIT: Checked online says incomplete. Called them and she told me I actually am complete.

I have to write and submit my UCSD essay today or else I won't have time to do it. Gah. (Note: For those wondering, you can only apply to UCSD if you are a US perm. resident)

They basically want an autobiography up to before you enter college... THIS IS HARDDDD!!! 4800 characters to do it in.

they called me back and they've found it..lol. I just don't get how you would lose the primary you know. don't they have constant access to amcas info?

I just have to finish wayne and kentucky (been dragging this one on forever!). Has anyone here received the albany secondary?

I received albany's a long time ago but haven't done it.

Current secondaries in my queue lol:

-Albany

-VCU

-U Virginia

-Wayne

-Emory

-Keck

-northwestern

-ohio state

-rush

-UC irvine

-UCSD

-harvard (not rolling admissions, and i don't have a chance here lol, but had to try ya know... no essays!)

Others that I probably won't do:

-chicago pritzker

-pittsburgh

-yale

-johns hopkins

-mount sinai

Edit: Just checked, Albany was received on July 21 for me.

I am willing to bet kentucky is far more torturous that UCSD's! Describe an experience that has made you feel grateful? write a whole new essay- somehow different than your primary- on why you want to do medicine and what you've done to prepare? how do you learn in your unscheduled time? I'm gonna say I surf premed 101 for this last one.:P

that's basically UCSD's... thank God I don't have to do anything else but describe some experiences in uni after this... I'm going crazy. I have such a complicated story lol. Moved around a lot throughout my life and I even lived in San Diego, so I'm trying to tie my city roots with the essay... but ahh this is crazy!

I just finished an early draft for this essay. I have to conclude it more strongly though... unfortunately, I'm at the character limit already!!

I've been working on this for nearly 4 hours. I'm gonna go to the gym and come back AND KILL this essay.

YEEEEEEE!!!! I got an interviewwwwwwww! Sept 30th, GWU!!!! yeyyyyyyy! super uber exciteeeed!!!!

Awesome!!! Congrats! From doing the secondary, I became pretty impressed with GWU.

Did you get choice of interview date? If so, how did you pick?

Well they just send the date in a long email and ask you to confirm. There's something about a possibility of rescheduling if you can't make it on their particular date.

Ah I see! That makes it easy :)

I just got an invite from VCU and there are dates available from Sept-March. Too much choice. I suppose with rolling admissions something before mid Oct would be best.

Archived