Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

Congrats Dice! I finished my autobiography. Now I'm working on 5 "most important experiences"... have finished 4 of them. I have to do one more, then do one more round of heavy editing. I want to send this out tonight! UCSD is definitely one of my top choices, but it's practically impossible as an OOS. I'm just glad I survived screening since only 30% of people get past it!

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I got an email this morning from the associate dean of Rush medical college in Chicago saying that they are "very excited' about the prospect of me joining their medical school class and that my AMCAS application highlights my "academic achievement and commitment to health care" and to basically SUBMIT YOUR SECONDARY lol.... that was kinda flattering to get an e-mail like that. haha. I hope that's a good sign.

When you add a LOE, and the person is a prof from your university, do you click the option "yes" to "Is this letter from a school?"? I know this seems like a stupid question but I am not sure whether it means from the school itself.

I clicked yes to that. When you click it, it will then bring up a list of the schools you attended and you pick the school it is coming from.

I clicked yes for this.

I clicked yes to that. When you click it, it will then bring up a list of the schools you attended and you pick the school it is coming from.

Thanks! For Boston U, they require at least two LOE from "from a professor who has taught you in Biology, Chemistry or Physics". I majored in pharmacology and I was wondering if a professor from that department would suffice (e.g. Biology?) or do you guys think I would need someone specifically from the biology/chem/physics department?

Thanks! For Boston U, they require at least two LOE from "from a professor who has taught you in Biology, Chemistry or Physics". I majored in pharmacology and I was wondering if a professor from that department would suffice (e.g. Biology?) or do you guys think I would need someone specifically from the biology/chem/physics department?

They're somewhat flexibile. My advice is to call them or email them to verify. I was in biochem and they said a biochem prof is fine. Pharmacology isn't considered BCPM according to AMCAS criteria... but maybe Boston will allow it. Check with them.

They're somewhat flexibile. My advice is to call them or email them to verify. I was in biochem and they said a biochem prof is fine. Pharmacology isn't considered BCPM according to AMCAS criteria... but maybe Boston will allow it. Check with them.

I just called them and they told me it was fine as long as I explained in the secondary :) .

I just got an interview!! WOOOOOTTT!

Congrats, Law!!

On an unrelated note, I got a secondary from Stony Brook...but then I realized I couldn't find any info about their Canadian policy. I got this email back from them:

"Canadian applicants are considered out-of-state applicants. They do not have to have spent a year at an American university.

Our students are required to be permanent residents or have a green card. If you choose to apply without it it will be up to the Committee on Admissions to decide how they wish to deal with it. If you do not have a green card you will not be eligible for financial aid, and will have to furnish proof of your ability to pay for medical school."

I clearly am not a permanent resident nor do I have a green card. "How they wish to deal with it" sounds so scary lol. So do you guys think I should forget about this one?

Congrats, Law!!

On an unrelated note, I got a secondary from Stony Brook...but then I realized I couldn't find any info about their Canadian policy. I got this email back from them:

"Canadian applicants are considered out-of-state applicants. They do not have to have spent a year at an American university.

Our students are required to be permanent residents or have a green card. If you choose to apply without it it will be up to the Committee on Admissions to decide how they wish to deal with it. If you do not have a green card you will not be eligible for financial aid, and will have to furnish proof of your ability to pay for medical school."

I clearly am not a permanent resident nor do I have a green card. "How they wish to deal with it" sounds so scary lol. So do you guys think I should forget about this one?

Can you include a statement maybe strongly indicating your interest in the school and how you plan to study there (i.e. plans to get a student visa, pay for school, etc?)... how badly do you want this school? If it's too much of a hassle, I might just leave it. ;)

Just got Penn State's secondary, heads up, for those of you who applied here!

Is it worth writing anything down for this question? I have already stated everything more or less in other parts of the application.

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 50 words)

Is it worth writing anything down for this question? I have already stated everything more or less in other parts of the application.

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 50 words)

It's up to you. I've sometimes not included optional essays, sometimes included them. For me, I'm debating including something but within 50 words, it's hard to explain. I might not put anything down.

Is there anything truly significant to you, that you can write about? If you're satisfied with your application as it is, then you can definitely leave it. Of course, this could be an opportunity to highlight a unique aspect of yourself - so think about it for a bit before you send it out! :)

Anyone else feeling an application overload, or is it just me? Doing applications for Canadian Medical Schools, American Medical and Osteopathic Schools, just feels like it never ends. Maybe I'm the only one crazy enough applying to all 3? After being rejected post-interview at UofT/Ottawa last year, I really don't want to take any risks, especially because I was confident I'd get in this past year.

I'm feeling the overload because I'm being murdered with research. They keep getting me involved in research that's not part of my project and it's so stressful doing all these med applications while doing that all day. I'm so exhausted. On the bright side, I have an excuse to go to NYC now! haha.

I'm feeling the overload because I'm being murdered with research. They keep getting me involved in research that's not part of my project and it's so stressful doing all these med applications while doing that all day. I'm so exhausted. On the bright side, I have an excuse to go to NYC now! haha.

Be thankful, you never really know which project will pay off big. For my masters, after one and a half year, they told me to transfer into a phd or "get out" :mad::mad: :mad: I would have love to stay for few more months :(

Be thankful, you never really know which project will pay off big. For my masters, after one and a half year, they told me to transfer into a phd or "get out" :mad: I would have love to stay for few more months :(

I am thankful to the maximum. I have 2 papers that I sent off and just got comments back for them, one of them have some minor work to do to resubmit but looks really encouraging! And the second needs a bit more work, but I think it'll be done in 2 more weeks. And then I have 2 other papers I'm working on at the same time that I'm trying to send out. I am honestly going crazy, but I can't complain because... I love this work. It's just stressing me out a bit because I'm involved in practically every project my research group is doing and have secondaries up the wazoo... anyway, it's definitely a great experience though. I get to do some INSANELY cool clinical stuff. :D

I just called Albany to ask why I haven't gotten a secondary and she said it's because they're not accepting internationals anymore! I can't find this info anywhere on their website, and I thought we'd just count as OOS anyways. Did anyone know this? Besides Law, has anyone else gotten secondaries from Albany?

Do you accept non-citizen applicants?

No. However, we do accept applications from US permanent residents.

From the Albany FAQ.

Thats quite disheartening.. Can anyone confirm if this statement was there last year or if its a new addition that bars Canadians as well? I know some schools (ex. Michigan) say that they don't accept internationals but consider Canadians OOS.

Archived