Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

Do you accept non-citizen applicants?

No. However, we do accept applications from US permanent residents.

From the Albany FAQ.

Thats quite disheartening.. Can anyone confirm if this statement was there last year or if its a new addition that bars Canadians as well? I know some schools (ex. Michigan) say that they don't accept internationals but consider Canadians OOS.

Just checked my MSAR 2011-2012 and it says that Albany doesn't accept international applicants.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back from vacation...almost hurts to get back to applications. So..I haven't received a secondary invite from Wayne yet. They sent me the primary screening email on 07/26. Is this a bad thing?? Oh the neurotic tendencies!

Oh, and a lovely rejection from Indiana waiting for me in my inbox once I got back. On to the next one!

Entity, that's a challenging question. I believe if you're not a Canadian citizen you'll be considered an "international student." This might give you more trouble. Check with the schools individally is your best bet.

Anybody else have more info?

I'm almost done Keck, so far I've completed (but not yet submitted) RUSH, Penn State, RFU, and now almost Keck. I'd say that's a fairly productive weekend. I will try to do Wayne next weekend, or later tonight if I can.

Jedi, sorry to hear about Indiana! I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, maybe they're slow to get to the applications. My US permanent residence is in Michigan, so that might be why I got one so quickly...

I'm almost done Keck, so far I've completed (but not yet submitted) RUSH, Penn State, RFU, and now almost Keck. I'd say that's a fairly productive weekend. I will try to do Wayne next weekend, or later tonight if I can.

Jedi, sorry to hear about Indiana! I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, maybe they're slow to get to the applications. My US permanent residence is in Michigan, so that might be why I got one so quickly...

Law, did you give UConn a go?

It was always one of the programs over there that I found pretty attractive.

Same with Vermont and Dartmouth.

Just got this status update:

The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March.

What do you guys thinks? Sounds more like a no to me than a maybe :( Dice your status was "highly interested" when you got your update, no?

I dont like being maybe'd, much rather they said nothing, until an outright rejection or interview invite:p I hope they dont make me wait until March! I had to wait on the Queen;s waitlist this past cycle and it was torture everyday!

Hey, if you creep the SDN forum for VCU (which I'm sure you have), the update you got is actually pretty good. It's the second best status one can get as far as "hold status" goes (there appears to be 5 different "holds" one can receive). And there's been people on the forum who got interviews shortly after having received that status! so hang in there!

Jedi you read my mind!lol.... I was on SDN just right now :P...yeah, but there seems to be an argument whether it's the second best, or just the middle stat...lol..

It pains me to creep the VCU thread on SDN (recall that VCU is the only school that absolutely REFUSES to accept my letters as science - the upside is that I have FINALLY got my biology TA to write me a letter so hopefully I'll have the VCU issue resolved in a couple of weeks). But after following the thread, you know in advance what your "hold status" means and that it can quickly change into an interview invite!

Also, I have Emory's secondary sitting in my inbox but I can't decide if its worth it to apply due to my meager 30Q MCAT score. What do you guys think? Is it too below the 33/34 MCAT average they have?

Also, I have Emory's secondary sitting in my inbox but I can't decide if its worth it to apply due to my meager 30Q MCAT score. What do you guys think? Is it too below the 33/34 MCAT average they have?

Emory is a great school. Personally, I'd go for it. You never know right? And w/ the US the 2nd time (regardless of whether you applied to any particular school) you are a 're-applicant' either way. So I would go for any school you are interested in that has your MCAT scores at least within their 10th percentile (consult MSAR) if you can afford it.

Emory is a great school. Personally, I'd go for it. You never know right? And w/ the US the 2nd time (regardless of whether you applied to any particular school) you are a 're-applicant' either way. So I would go for any school you are interested in that has your MCAT scores at least within their 10th percentile (consult MSAR) if you can afford it.

Hey Law/mlbn, you guys have copies of the MSAR right? Please, pretty Please tell me if 30Q is around the 10th percentile range of accepted at Emory? I seriously wish I had bought the book before I started applying, but I feel that buying it now would be a waste lol

Now I'm thinking I should buy the MSAR anyways and look into other schools I might not have considered before...its still pretty early in the cycle right? Could I add more schools at this point? Would it be worth it to buy the MSAR? Also...I know you can buy it on AAMC's website, but can I get it in stores anywhere? Chapters doesn't seem to have the 2011 edition online..

Isn't it 30?

According to the 2010-2011 book, it's 31. The shaded area in there represents 10th - 90th percentile.

31=10th

39=90th

Now I'm thinking I should buy the MSAR anyways and look into other schools I might not have considered before...its still pretty early in the cycle right? Could I add more schools at this point? Would it be worth it to buy the MSAR? Also...I know you can buy it on AAMC's website, but can I get it in stores anywhere? Chapters doesn't seem to have the 2011 edition online..

The only other place you can try to get it I think is ebay/craigslist.... or maybe university bookstore?

Archived