Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

Hey guys. I need you guy's help on this one. I just got my MCAT score back yesterday and it wasn't as high as I had hoped for 30Q (9 11 10). My sGPA is 3.92 and my cGPA is 3.95. I have excellent extra-curriculars (i.e. 2 years as army reservist, 2 years of research, exec at couple clubs, intramural sports, oversees volunteering, language instructor etc) and pretty good LOE. My primary's already been verified and I finished most of my secondary essays already so I am ready to complete my application. The question is should I even bother applying considering my low MCAT? Should I retake it at and get it complete by the end of September? If I submit my apps now, I feel like I still have that time advantage but if I retake it, I'll be done pretty late. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys. I need you guy's help on this one. I just got my MCAT score back yesterday and it wasn't as high as I had hoped for 30Q (9 11 10). My sGPA is 3.92 and my cGPA is 3.95. I have excellent extra-curriculars (i.e. 2 years as army reservist, 2 years of research, exec at couple clubs, intramural sports, oversees volunteering, language instructor etc) and pretty good LOE. My primary's already been verified and I finished most of my secondary essays already so I am ready to complete my application. The question is should I even bother applying considering my low MCAT? Should I retake it at and get it complete by the end of September? If I submit my apps now, I feel like I still have that time advantage but if I retake it, I'll be done pretty late. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hey there,

That's a tough one. If you submit your primary right now, it'll still take a while for you to get verified and while it's not late in the cycle, it's not quite early either. You definitely have a shot at some schools with a 30, what's your gpa like? Perhaps someone more experienced with US admissions can advise better. Since your secondaries are mostly done, I think you still have a shot. Are your LOE's in already? If not, get on those ASAP it'll take a while to get them all in and this will delay your application more.

Is US your preferred destination or a back up? That score is fine for Canada and many schools in the US.

Is US your preferred destination or a back up? That score is fine for Canada and many schools in the US.

It would be my back up. From what I've read though thus far, you need at least 32 in mcat to be competitive even at most canadian friendly school like wayne and st louis, which troubles me.

It would be my back up. From what I've read though thus far, you need at least 32 in mcat to be competitive even at most canadian friendly school like wayne and st louis, which troubles me.

Not too sure about the MCAT range myself, but from what I gather, they look at applicants holistically so a lower MCAT should be offset by your strengths in other areas(GPA, EC, LOE).

Not too sure about the MCAT range myself, but from what I gather, they look at applicants holistically so a lower MCAT should be offset by your strengths in other areas(GPA, EC, LOE).

++. I have no idea how this cycle will work out (for me) but I can definitely say that having lower than 32 will not break you as I managed an interview invite at Kentucky despite dropping from 33 to 31 on a rewrite...although it will undoubtedly make the process more difficult.

Of course, hitting lower than a 32 on the MCAT will probably put you out of range at top schools...but then again even the 40T`s are not guaranteed anything at Harvard, Yale, JHU etc. (although I would gladly become one of them if I could LOL :) )

So I submitted my secondary and MSU acknowledged receiving it on July 16th. The status just says that once they have my letters and MCAT scores from AMCAS i will be "forwarded for preliminary viewing". But its been almost a month and I haven't been forwarded yet! I tried calling but all i get is a machine...I dont understand what the hold up is. Anyone else dealing with issues from MSU?

my MSU status is still the same, and I submitted on July 12th. I called last week and they said my application was fine and they are still processing.

On an unrelated note, just booked my DC hotel off of priceline. First time bidding and all, got a decent deal, $100 cheaper than what it says on the hotel's website. not really happy with the location though...oh well, hopefully I'll learn better bidding by the end of the interview season:P

Do you use the website betterbidding.com?

that can take a lot of the guesswork out of the whole process.

nope, email.

SDN seems to be bi-polar about this issue.

It seems alot of people get interviews from this so called 'small pool', but others do not. Some get interviews without getting pooled also.

Seems pretty random.

If you dont mind me asking, how long ago did you get the "going through primary screening" email? I'm sitting around waiting to hear from RFU as well and I got the primary screening email 8/3. It feels like a pretty quick turnaround at this school.

In the third episode of schools misplacing mlbn's documents (BU forgetting to send me the secondary, SUNY upstate losing my AMCAS primary) , I found today that AECOM thought I had never sent them my passport scan where as I'd sent it over two weeks ago! Funny thing is that I had emailed twice to follow up on whether it had been received or not, and they never replied to that either. Thank god they're responsive on the phone!

They seem to review applications fairly quickly once submitted though. Their admissions office was so friendly, I loved calling them. Are they marking you as complete now?

Would I be correct in assuming that for the purposes of the MSAR, "international" = "Canadians" unless otherwise noted?

Also, this 10th-90th percentile stuff is awesome. Would you guys put more stock in following the overall MCAT score or the individual subscores? My low BS score is KILLING me! Stupid Organic Chemistry....

Would I be correct in assuming that for the purposes of the MSAR, "international" = "Canadians" unless otherwise noted?

Also, this 10th-90th percentile stuff is awesome. Would you guys put more stock in following the overall MCAT score or the individual subscores? My low BS score is KILLING me! Stupid Organic Chemistry....

Hmm, I don't think so. Some schools consider CDNs as OOS applicants, others as international... I don't think msar ever says what the case is.

Re: score, I think both are kinda important.

Archived