Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

Grrrr..Stupid Science LOR stipulation...I mean really, for those of us NOT in the science faculty, how are we supposed to get outstanding letters of recommendation from profs who taught us four years ago in a first year class of 600+ students??

It's really not fair. That's my rant.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Grrrr..Stupid Science LOR stipulation...I mean really, for those of us NOT in the science faculty, how are we supposed to get outstanding letters of recommendation from profs who taught us four years ago in a first year class of 600+ students??

This should make you feel better! :P

I agree. Which school is this for? I sent in [insert science here]-engineering letters and am hoping for the best.

Engineering is practical science! Mine are all science-engineering...I haven't even taken pure science courses. The only school I was worried about was Jefferson cuz they wanted a bio,chem,phycs, and something else. I called and had them check my letters and they were fine. I've also received the application complete letter from a few schools so I assume they were fine with them...they must realize, engineering is superior science!

Haha, they better consider engineering science... you guys do stuff that the rest of us can't even pretend to understand. ;)

They want a scanned copy of the passport as part of their secondary. But I thought this was only for Canadian applicants...maybe they didn't realize you were dual?

Haha, I called them to clarify. Their adcom is so insanely helpful!! And the NYC accent makes me kinda giddy. Anyway, she said not to worry about it and that she requested it because she saw a Canadian mailing address. Anyway, I just got an email saying I'm complete and ready for review... more waiting!

I agree. Which school is this for? I sent in [insert science here]-engineering letters and am hoping for the best.

Hey, well almost every school demands letters from science professors but currently I'm struggling with VCU. They require 2 sci letters. I've managed to convince them that my health science professor counts as science (especially since she supervised my thesis). But i really dont have another sci prof...but they've finally allowed me to get a sci TA letter instead so im currently working on that.

Hey, well almost every school demands letters from science professors but currently I'm struggling with VCU. They require 2 sci letters. I've managed to convince them that my health science professor counts as science (especially since she supervised my thesis). But i really dont have another sci prof...but they've finally allowed me to get a sci TA letter instead so im currently working on that.

That sucks. See if you get one from a science TA, if the prof can countersign the letter. It will make your letter stronger.

For the non-sci letter I talked to a prof who kinda knew me, but he admitted he wasn't the bests person to ask... but I told him I had no choice. Non-sci letter from faculty is just that, a non-sci letter from faculty!

I just got caught working on med school apps during lab time, but honestly, i'm waiting for an incubation to finish... I just said to one of my supervisors, I have to send these out tomorrow! I have everything under control so she said, "fine fine" lol.

Nice. I hope it works out! Oddly, VCU counted my intended non-sci letter as sci, and one of my intended sci letters as non-sci...so I guess it's ok.

Has anyone's status been changed to complete for SUNY Upstate? Mine says incomplete and I'm pretty sure everything is in, I was wondering if its the same for the rest of you?

Mine also says incomplete, I emailed them yesterday asking if I need to do anything further. I'll post their reply on here once I get it.

That's strange! Isn't EVMS on the low tier side? I think back in 2009 there average GPA was 3.6 and average mcat around 31. maybe things have changed?

I'm sure you'll hear better news elsewhere. :) How many have you applied to?

So apparently the US med schools are far kinder than Canadian ones in that once they reject you, they are more than willing to tell you why! I emailed asking, just in general, if they could tell me if I had a specific weak part to my application which failed to gain me a secondary, and lo and behold I got a reply. Although my overall gpa and mcat was fine, my science gpa was too low and apparently one shadowing experience is not enough. so for any of you getting rejections (hopefully not too many!), ask them why and they just might answer.

So apparently the US med schools are far kinder than Canadian ones in that once they reject you, they are more than willing to tell you why! I emailed asking, just in general, if they could tell me if I had a specific weak part to my application which failed to gain me a secondary, and lo and behold I got a reply. Although my overall gpa and mcat was fine, my science gpa was too low and apparently one shadowing experience is not enough. so for any of you getting rejections (hopefully not too many!), ask them why and they just might answer.

US Admissions = 1000x better than Canadian.

Jedi, you dont have to answer this if you dont want to but im wondering what your science gpa is (also ur mcat)? Im going into third year trying to decide if i should take lots of science course to bump up my sgpa.

PM me if thats better for you.

Thanks

Where's my Wayne State secondary? Come onnnnn! They showed me love last year, Im hopin for the same this year. And goddamn having to mail in applications, I hate RFU for that. My tracking number tells me my package has arrived "in the destination country" but no email from RFU yet.

Where's my Wayne State secondary? Come onnnnn! They showed me love last year, Im hopin for the same this year. And goddamn having to mail in applications, I hate RFU for that. My tracking number tells me my package has arrived "in the destination country" but no email from RFU yet.

I'm sure it's on its way! :)

I just submitted CASE's secondary.

I have 10 secondaries still waiting for me. A few I've done early drafts for, but still need to finish up.

i hope it is because they are looking at internationals a bit later...

being rejected pre secondary from wayne just seems horrible.

No Wayne posted that they weren't really going to send out secondaries before July 26th (read that somewhere if memory serves me correctly), so technically its still really early for Wayne!

I emailed asking, just in general, if they could tell me if I had a specific weak part to my application which failed to gain me a secondary, and lo and behold I got a reply. Although my overall gpa and mcat was fine, my science gpa was too low and apparently one shadowing experience is not enough.

This is kind of troubling. I have no shadowing experience. But, I have volunteered in the hospital for a while.

Did you lack clinical volunteering or do they specifically want shadowing experience??

This is kind of troubling. I have no shadowing experience. But, I have volunteered in the hospital for a while.

Did you lack clinical volunteering or do they specifically want shadowing experience??

No, I have a few clinical volunteering experiences: Canadian Cancer Society at a Cancer Clinic for over a year, actually assissting residents in long-term care facility with their physiotherapy regiments, etc. But my email response actually said "not enough shadowing" and their advice was for me to "shadow more physicians". I don't mean to get you down, its just what they said. Maybe I should have mentioned somewhere that I've informally shadowed my dad all my life and he's a physician..oh well. Mind you, this is only one school.

No, I have a few clinical volunteering experiences: Canadian Cancer Society at a Cancer Clinic for over a year, actually assissting residents in long-term care facility with their physiotherapy regiments, etc. But my email response actually said "not enough shadowing" and their advice was for me to "shadow more physicians". I don't mean to get you down, its just what they said. Maybe I should have mentioned somewhere that I've informally shadowed my dad all my life and he's a physician..oh well. Mind you, this is only one school.

That's pretty weird. I got an email from EVMS to fill in the secondary last week. I have 0 shadowing experience. :o My stats are mediocre at best

Archived