Premed 101 Forums

applying to Mac 'only'- wise??

Finally,I will be applying this cycle to Mac only. Everything that Mac offers is exactly what I want. As a mature applicant with a PhD (Biomedical Sciences, 2006), UcGPA 3.4, few published abstracts and manuscripts..... is it wise to just bank on only one school- MAC. I dont really have any volunteer hours, I have a family, and a job and it will be really difficult for me to volunteer just for the show. I will definitely do it if its an absolute requirement. I will be doing job shadowing of course. Any advise/ comments on the success of such an application. Thanks.

Leo

I will be applying this cycle to Mac only. Everything that Mac offers is exactly what I want. As a mature applicant with a PhD (Biomedical Sciences, 2006), UcGPA 3.5, few published abstracts and manuscripts..... is it wise to just bank on only one school- MAC. I dont really have any volunteer hours, I have a family, and a job and it will be really difficult for me to volunteer just for the show. I will definitely do it if its an absolute requirement. I will be doing job shadowing of course. Any advise/ comments on the success of such an application. Thanks.

Leo

I would say it's not wise. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, UNLESS you have no choice but to stay in Hamilton for the rest of your life (e.g. you will not relocate if you get into another med school).

McMaster also looks at the VR portion of the MCAT. Apply for U of T too, it's fairly close to Hamilton.

Unfortunately, Mac tends to rely heavily on UG cGPA in their decisions to grant interviews. Assuming that they don't change the evaluation breakdown from last year, if you have a very strong VR score (12+) and a strong written ABS, you'd have a chance at getting an interview, especially since your PhD would enhance your pre-interview score.

As others are saying, apply as broadly as your situation will let you. I was in a situation when I applied last year of being unable to relocate from Toronto, and so I applied only to U of T and Mac. It worked out for me - I was accepted to Mac - but you clearly increase your chance of being accepted if you apply more broadly.

Good luck - getting into med isn't easy, but it's worth the difficulties if you are sure it's what you want to do with your life.

It can be done! I only applied to Mac and got in. But I would never ever recommend it. As above, you increase your chances if you apply broadly.

I applied thinking i would never get in and just use this year as a "practice" with next year being the year I apply everywhere.

It can be done! I only applied to Mac and got in. But I would never ever recommend it. As above, you increase your chances if you apply broadly.

I applied thinking i would never get in and just use this year as a "practice" with next year being the year I apply everywhere.

That's awesome! :)

Mac doesn't need prereqs, and only VR which is why I'm concentrating on Mac only... plus the 3 years. Location is not a problem. I don't know cracking the whole MCAT in 2 months with a full time job. How possible is it?

Have you done any diagnostic tests? Although Mac only takes one section of the MCAT, it happens to be the section most applicants struggle with. Though there are people that are exceptional at verbal, this is not the norm. Don't apply only to Mac because you think writing one section of the MCAT is better. Chances are that this section will be weighed more heavily and it is a hard section.

Your cgpa is also quite low for Mac. If you look at their 2012 graduates, the incoming cgpa average was 3.89. There are other Ontario schools that require a lower cgpa (i.e. Ottawa, also no MCAT) and schools that only look at two best years (UWO, Queens). With regard to gpa, Mac is certainly the least forgiving and yours is quite low.

Hi, Sweet success. Congratulations!!

Could you please tell me your brief bio- like the cGPA, VR,..etc.

Thanks.

cGPA- 3.81

VR- 10

I'm finishing up my masters now so the extra point wasn't added on at the time of application. My ABS questions felt really good (I guess they actually were because my GPA and VR aren't stand out). I felt my interview went alright (had an immediate feeling of "waitlisted")..was really relaxed and made some jokes which I guessed they liked!

I don't know how MAC looks at the rest of my application but I had the whole 48 items filled out (that doesnt matter but having 7 years since high school, stuff adds up!). My references were strong too.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions

• 2 months later...
cGPA- 3.81

VR- 10

I'm finishing up my masters now so the extra point wasn't added on at the time of application. My ABS questions felt really good (I guess they actually were because my GPA and VR aren't stand out). I felt my interview went alright (had an immediate feeling of "waitlisted")..was really relaxed and made some jokes which I guessed they liked!

I don't know how MAC looks at the rest of my application but I had the whole 48 items filled out (that doesnt matter but having 7 years since high school, stuff adds up!). My references were strong too.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions

Hi, could you share ur abs responses with me if that's allowed and ok with you. Thanks.

Archived