Premed 101 Forums

Two questions!

Noisette

Hi everyone!

I am currently finishing my first year at CEGEP and my plan for next year will be to try to apply to Mcgill in physical therapy, but I heard that Mcgill reject every collegians who did summer courses in medecine. I wonder if this criteria is applied to all faculties. :eek: because I will certainly have to do two summer courses in summer...

My second question is about (as you can notice without a doubt) my difficulties in english. I really have issues in english especially with the oral and the writing skill...I want to have your opinion whether it is a good idea or not to consider applying to Mcgill?

Thanks a lot for your help! ;)

Hi everyone!

I am currently finishing my first year at CEGEP and my plan for next year will be to try to apply to Mcgill in physical therapy, but I heard that Mcgill reject every collegians who did summer courses in medecine. I wonder if this criteria is applied to all faculties. :eek: because I will certainly have to do two summer courses in summer...

My second question is about (as you can notice without a doubt) my difficulties in english. I really have issues in english especially with the oral and the writing skill...I want to have your opinion whether it is a good idea or not to consider applying to Mcgill?

Thanks a lot for your help! ;)

Hi Noisette,

I believe the "CEGEP in 4 sessions" criterion only applies for MEDP application and is not a prerequisite for others programs offered at McGill.

On the other hand, a lot of students follow summer courses during the CEGEP years, as I said and I don't think McGill (or any other university) would turn away all the summer students from Cegep (except for Medp).

I might be wrong and I recommend you contact the faculty of Sciences (Physical Therapy program belongs to this faculty).They'll be pleased to give you the answer you're looking for.

For your other interrogation, all I can say is : forget about the language issues !

My first language is French (Well I think you've got that point already ;) ) and my written/spoken abilities are not that good. However, I can read easily and my oral comprehension is ok.

When I've got my offer from McGill in MEDP, I have realised that I'd have diffculties at the beginning of the semester. But I'll learn English fast because it will be all around me !

My classmates/friends/teachers... will all speak English. Plus, the books will be written in English and the courses will be given in Shakepeare's language.

You'll hear,read and speak English each day. You'll be bilingual in 2 semesters-1 year !

En plus, on peut faire les "essays" en français, ce qui peut être très pratique pour les francophones comme moi qui font beaucoup d'erreurs de grammaire en anglais :)

You should not see your lack of English skills as a problem but as a challenge !

Good luck in the admission process

Si tu as des questions, n'hésites pas à me contacter

The DEC in 4 semesters requirement is ONLY for med-p.

There is no such requirement for physical therapy.

By the way, the physio class is generally about 50% francophone, and even those who start off with very poor english skills end up doing just fine and becoming billingual in the process.

Thank you very much to both of you! :D

That really help me! :D

By the way, do you know how I can improve my english quickly?

Any schools/places etc.?

I am already trying to read books and watch TV show in english but if you have other advices, it would be really helpful!

Thank you very much to both of you! :D

That really help me! :D

By the way, do you know how I can improve my english quickly?

Any schools/places etc.?

I am already trying to read books and watch TV show in english but if you have other advices, it would be really helpful!

Explore is a great opportunity to learn English and to travel.

http://www.myexplore.ca/

All universities in Québec give English courses, you could try it !

I was about to forget 254-6011 might be a solution too ! :cool:

Thanks everyone for your help! I have one last question about McGill's admission. On their website, it is said that not only the average R-score will be considerated but also the overall R-score of the prerequisise courses ( in this case, chemistry, biology, physics and math). Does that mean that even if I got a overall r-score of 32 but only 27 in my sciences courses, I might be rejected in physiotherapy ( they need 30,5 in overall and 30 for the sciences courses)??? Will they really rejected someone for that?

Thanks! And excuse my English =[

Archived