Premed 101 Forums

Nursing as a 2nd UG degree

jdr44

Hi all,

I need your opinions again.

At this point, I am a recent graduate student from UBC (Human Kinetics) who dreams of becoming a pediatrician one day!

At this point my GPA is not high enough and I am SERIOUSLY considering taking a UG degree in Nursing at UBC.

I would love to hear your feedback. The good, the bad and the ugly.

I need help on making this decision and I am unaware on how to.

Thanks again for your wonderful advice on this post and ones before :)

You have a couple options:

1) Apply overseas to various locations. Have you written the MCAT?

2) Do another degree. Nursing is a great option. I completed my

undergraduate degree in nursing and it a great opportunity to get a base

knowledge in medicine. It's also a great back-up plan because you can still

work in pediatrics while applying to medicine.

I'm currently in the same boat as you, although I achieved non-competitive grades through my nursing degree. I am currently doing my second degree with the hopes of being accepted to medicine in 2012.

Hey, so I did pretty much exactly what you're talking about. I originally got a science degree with just ok marks, nothing exceptional. I ended up going back and getting my nursing degree with great marks, worked for a year doing rural ER, and will be going to med school in the fall :)

Nursing was an amazing degree, it was a lot of fun and I met some incredible people. I also found it was a lot easier to do well in, probably because I was much more interested in the subject matter and found most of the material actually relevant, as opposed to some of the science courses I took in my first undergrad. I loved working as a nurse, got to see and do some really cool stuff. And now that I'm going to med school I feel like I'll be really well prepared.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Good luck!

hey, nice to hear this :) , where did you study for your first undergrad and then for nursing? I am currently in 4th year of BSc at York U and thinking of switching to 2nd entry nursing instead of doing the final year because I cannot apply to medical schools with my gpa from first & second year(i had very unfortunate circumstances..basically I shouldnt have gone to school in those years). Since I am performing very well now, I know I can achive my lifelong dream of med school.

Hey, so I did pretty much exactly what you're talking about.....

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My clinical collegues & I were jsut discussing this the other day, as most of us want to apply to med school. We talked about whether or not nursing degrees are a good way to go for a second degree.

Our consensus was (and I concur, as nsg is my 2nd degree), if you're aiming for meds, and your sole purpose of taking nursing as a 2nd degree is to boost your gpa, stay away from nursing, for the very reason which was pointed out by others. There are so many courses that have subjective marking, and many profs who say 'I don't give out A+ or very few As,' so it's tough to get the marks you really do likely deserve.

On the plus side, we all decided that regardless of the hell that nursing school has put us through, we felt that, even if we didn't get into meds, well, we're all definitely doing out MScN & Nurse Practitioners...which is an option available to us...since we've obviously completed the requirements for entry.

You may be better off doing Bio if you're only looking for GPA & aren't actually EVER interested in nursing as a career.

My clinical collegues & I were jsut discussing this the other day, as most of us want to apply to med school. We talked about whether or not nursing degrees are a good way to go for a second degree.

Our consensus was (and I concur, as nsg is my 2nd degree), if you're aiming for meds, and your sole purpose of taking nursing as a 2nd degree is to boost your gpa, stay away from nursing, for the very reason which was pointed out by others. There are so many courses that have subjective marking, and many profs who say 'I don't give out A+ or very few As,' so it's tough to get the marks you really do likely deserve.

On the plus side, we all decided that regardless of the hell that nursing school has put us through, we felt that, even if we didn't get into meds, well, we're all definitely doing out MScN & Nurse Practitioners...which is an option available to us...since we've obviously completed the requirements for entry.

You may be better off doing Bio if you're only looking for GPA & aren't actually EVER interested in nursing as a career.

but if you look at some of the stats of the RNs getting into NP program ie UofT NP, you'll notice that they have over 3.8 gpa, which is good enough to get into some of the med schools.

Archived