Premed 101 Forums

First elective ever - advice?

Knightmd

Hey guys,

I'm an IMG, and I'm about to do a 2-week "student" elective. Since IMG spots are extremely limited, I really want to leave the best impression possible. Thing is, I haven't done any electives before, and I don't really know what to expect (I've done many observerships though). So some advice would be appreciated:

1) What would be expected from me? (Will I need to fill out patient notes, interview/examine patients, carry a beeper, scrub in...etc?)

2) Who should I hang out with? Is it the chief resident? The juniors (since that's what I'll be doing if I match)? The staff members at clinics/OR?

3) How do I leave a good impression?

4) Do's and Don't?

Thanks....

1) What would be expected from me? (Will I need to fill out patient notes, interview/examine patients, carry a beeper, scrub in...etc?)

Will vary depending on what you are doing the elective in. In almost all cases you will see patients and take histories/do physical exams, come up with an issue list and a plan. You will then discuss this with more senior members of the team (residents, fellows, staff) and decide how to move forward.

2) Who should I hang out with? Is it the chief resident? The juniors (since that's what I'll be doing if I match)? The staff members at clinics/OR?

Again, it will vary with the rotation. It is a good idea to get in time with the senior staff if possible, but often you will be following a resident/fellow more closely.

3) How do I leave a good impression?

See below

4) Do's and Don't?

Do's- Work hard, show interest, read around cases, etc

Don'ts- Act like you know everything, be disrespectful, be late, etc

Archived