Premed 101 Forums

2011 Interview Discussion

There's this document floating around (and if you search premed101 you'll find it) that shows all the cut-offs for recent years from all the schools. It looked like an official document, so I'm assuming they released it to someone...

Does anyone know where this document is? I've never seen it and would like a look at it.

Is the writing sample cutoff pretty consistently at an R? I'm at 11/11/12/Q and have a Masters degree, so I'm just hoping to make the MCAT cut

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know where this document is? I've never seen it and would like a look at it.

Is the writing sample cutoff pretty consistently at an R? I'm at 11/11/12/Q and have a Masters degree, so I'm just hoping to make the MCAT cut

Okay sorry, I made a mistake. I found the doc. and it just tells you admission statistics for each school (geographically, and matriculants to applicants and stuff like that). Nothing with cut-offs on that though. Sorry for the wrong info.

MGB - the writing sample was a Q two years ago. So it isn't always R. Depends on the people applying this year. But your chances at Western look good, with that MCAT.

haha.... I certainly remember the anxiety/obsessing over details you can't control....

If the person on the phone didn't know about the premed deduction party, I assure you other people in the school do based on conversations I've had with some of the med students.

The last time Queen's officially released cutoffs was 2006.... the old, no longer accurate link, is here: http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate/prospective_students/the_cutoffs. I had that bookmarked way back in the day when I started to think about applying.

Cutoffs bias the applicant pool, especially since the MCAT became so widely available. If Queen's has a high section people just keep on writing the thing until the hopefully get what they need. People stop applying based on last year's statistics, and the pool becomes more limited. Queen's and Western used to mirror each other in application numbers (few more 3rd years apply to Queen's) and all of a sudden Queen's numbers go to above 3000 while Western's remained at 2000 or below. Their cutoffs were very similar too, and since removing the cutoffs from their website, the two schools have deviated from each other and got more unique pools respectively.

Hiding the cutoffs gives them way more flexibility. Thankfully PM101 exists for the anxious to congregate and circumvent their secrecy. If you search well enough, every year's cutoffs have been figured out reasonably well with a little uncertainty here and there.

Deep breaths everyone and good luck.

This thread is nowhere near the anxiety that the UBC thread went through.

To recap briefly:

They said they'd release interviews b/t Nov 17-23. Then 2 weeks prior to that they said "no, no, we'll now release them between Nov 15-23". We all expected them to come out fairly close to the 15th (Monday). They then proceeded to release rolling rejections from Monday-Wednesday, have no news Thursday at all, and release all invites on the Friday. It got quite a few people up in arms.

Regarding Queen's:

I thought they are on a "rolling notification" from Mid Dec until Mid/End Jan? That means it's highly unlikely for us ALL to hear so early, no? Perhaps somebody can fill me in so I have an idea what to expect since I'm applying here as well.

This thread is nowhere near the anxiety that the UBC thread went through.

To recap briefly:

They said they'd release interviews b/t Nov 17-23. Then 2 weeks prior to that they said "no, no, we'll now release them between Nov 15-23". We all expected them to come out fairly close to the 15th (Monday). They then proceeded to release rolling rejections from Monday-Wednesday, have no news Thursday at all, and release all invites on the Friday. It got quite a few people up in arms.

Regarding Queen's:

I thought they are on a "rolling notification" from Mid Dec until Mid/End Jan? That means it's highly unlikely for us ALL to hear so early, no? Perhaps somebody can fill me in so I have an idea what to expect since I'm applying here as well.

Yes, Queen's sends out interview invites on a rolling basis up until Mid/End Jan. Only a few people will hear before the break. The rest will start coming out starting on the 3rd I'm guessing.

Last year they interviewed 530 people for 101 spots. (2-3 deferring students, so technically 98 spots).

Given that 2-3 defer every year, you can pretty much negate the deferring factor.

I'm hoping for a Q, but I'm not holding my breath. I think they prefer 9/R over 10/Q, but will go 10/R if there are too many.

Guest Juicy.Fruit

I am hoping things start working out for me...

Many changes this year:

Mac's casper, UBC's new AQ, McGill OOP gpa hard cut-off, Queens' mmi...

-->Queens should change it back down to Q... and they can play around with the numbers all they want. crossing my fingers.

Q for Queens right? ;)

Given that 2-3 defer every year, you can pretty much negate the deferring factor.

I'm hoping for a Q, but I'm not holding my breath. I think they prefer 9/R over 10/Q, but will go 10/R if there are too many.

++. I also think 9/R is more likely than 10/Q if they indeed even lower anything. Q -> R cuts off more applicants than 9 -> 10 in verbal cutoff.

Since they used 10/R successfully last year I figure the only way verbal drops is if GPA rises at least a bit (or maybe a 10 -> 11 in BS would get rid of more people seeing as many schools do put heavier emphasis on the bio score).

Most likely is 10/R staying imho.

I am hoping things start working out for me...

Many changes this year:

Mac's casper, UBC's new AQ, McGill OOP gpa hard cut-off, Queens' mmi...

-->Queens should change it back down to Q... and they can play around with the numbers all they want. crossing my fingers.

Q for Queens right? ;)

One would think so, but last year they opted to lower EVERYTHING (GPA/BS/PS) and raise WS.

Western was worse... lower GPA/BS/PS/WS but raise VR lol.

Guest Juicy.Fruit

nothing has been consistent this year compared to last year, right? so they should keep it up and change R -> Q.

mind as well keep up the pattern: RQR_.. fill in the blank = this year

Archived