Premed 101 Forums

2011 Interview Discussion

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can someone summarize the MCAT cutoffs for Queen's from the past three years? I know the writing sample cut-off was an R from last year, but what about the two years before that?

Entering Class of 2008: R

Entering Class of 2009: Q

Entering Class of 2010: R

-- Verbal seemed to be 10 (I could be wrong)

-- Physical Sciences was 9 for sure

-- Biological Sciences could have been a 10 or 11, I'm note sure

- Lupe

Entering Class of 2008: R

Entering Class of 2009: Q

Entering Class of 2010: R

-- Verbal seemed to be 10 (I could be wrong)

-- Physical Sciences was 9 for sure

-- Biological Sciences could have been a 10 or 11, I'm note sure

- Lupe

Thanks Lupe! Crossing my fingers and toes for a Q cut-off!!

Interview selection is entirely gpa and mcat based? And post interview what is the weighting breakdown? entirely interview, mixed, something more fancy-pants? What about reference letters?

I'm curious because while Queen's isn't my #1 (although my father studied medicine there), I have a 39T (14 bio, 11 VR, 14 phys) and a pretty high gpa... My reference letters may not have been the best, and my ECs aren't /insane/... but I get the sensation that I should get an interview if it is gpa and mcat based?

Interview selection is entirely gpa and mcat based? And post interview what is the weighting breakdown? entirely interview, mixed, something more fancy-pants? What about reference letters?

I'm curious because while Queen's isn't my #1 (although my father studied medicine there), I have a 39T (14 bio, 11 VR, 14 phys) and a pretty high gpa... My reference letters may not have been the best, and my ECs aren't /insane/... but I get the sensation that I should get an interview if it is gpa and mcat based?

Acceptance/Rejection post-interview is based 100% on your interview score (iirc). From your mcat score and your high gpa, you should get an interview. *thumbs up for you*

I do hope the system changes. Not that a holistic approach would give me a better chance at getting in, but Queen's must really limit themselves with these tough mcat cutoffs. Especially with the computer test administration and the popularity of mcat prep courses, people can rewrite easily, and study with prep courses until they make the cutoff. Not that second chances to write the test should be banned, but this system seems to favor those who can sacrifice the time and especially money to help get stellar scores, and this hinders applicants who need to work multiple summer jobs and part-time through the school year to get by. Essentially, I'm arguing that the costly (yet effective) prep courses are really hurting the mcat's validity. No, this is not backed up by any research whatsoever, just personal experience, take it for what it's worth!

Of course, the Queen's system is a tried and true method, and the current Queen's med students seem like absolutely amazing people, but I think the system may be outdated.

For the record, I did take an mcat prep course. Although idealistically, I believe these costly prep courses create unfair advantages...I'm not going to pass up an opportunity that would significantly boost my chances at med school! Now I just need to figure out how to fix my broken bank ;)

Any thoughts?

I don't think that's really the case. I took a prep course and did poorly. When I studied alone I did well. I just don't favour strict cutoffs because I don't think it's a good way to pick people. A more holistic approach is way better and justifies the hard work that people put into preparing for this career. If we work so hard, isn't it only fair for review processes to consider our achievements?

Well it's not like the mcat course hindered your score, you aren't banned from studying alone...kaplan/princeton have significant success with boosting marks compared with other rewrites who didn't take a course. The course enables most people to do very well.

But we are ultimately arguing for the same thing - I'm looking at negatives of the current situation, you're looking at the positives of moving forward. I absolutely agree with you there...it's so disappointing now that maybe only 1 or 2 of my extracurricular activities may come up in the MMI, when I've spent years building up these experiences. At least in the panel interview format, extracirrics could be mentioned and you could tell a story about yourself to the same people, shape who you are, but now with MMI that's stifled. Although the MMI has obvious merits, this may be a step backwards in terms of appreciating the applicant as a whole?

Some speculation on my part:

Most schools that use the MMI look at more than just an applicant's GPA and MCAT.

I think Manitoba is the only one that only looks at GPA and MCAT, and has an MMI format.

Do you guys think Queens will stick with GPA and MCAT cutoffs or do you think they might change? And if you think they'll change, do you think it will start this cycle or the next cycle?

Personally, I'm not sure if they are going to change. But if for some reason they did decide to change, I imagine it would start next cycle.

Thoughts?

- Lupe

Most schools that use the MMI look at more than just an applicant's GPA and MCAT.

I think Manitoba is the only one that only looks at GPA and MCAT, and has an MMI format.

Do you guys think Queens will stick with GPA and MCAT cutoffs or do you think they might change? And if you think they'll change, do you think it will start this cycle or the next cycle?

Personally, I'm not sure if they are going to change. But if for some reason they did decide to change, I imagine it would start next cycle.

Thoughts?

- Lupe

As I mentioned somewhere before, I have heard they have a new dean at Queen's. Changes to their admissions process even for this year would not surprise me. The trad -> MMI switch is big and does increase capacity to interview more people. Although Queen's did interview quite a few already in the past few years. I do think the cutoffs may be affected this year. No idea by how much but I wouldn't be surprised to see some part of the cutoffs drop if Queen's is indeed being more holistic this year.

The cutoffs could also change completely if the new dean decides that is the best way to go (although probably unlikely since what they have seems to work for them).

Just my 2 cents.

Man, so many trials going on this year's application cycle...

Mcmaster's CASPer and Queen's trying MMI

++. And UBC changing their AQ system + throwing out the essay component. McGill removing the MCAT. It's been a roller coaster ride in terms of change across Canadian medical school w/ regards to admissions.

Thoughts?

- Lupe

U of S only looked at my raw stats when I applied there 2 years ago and they were MMI. Have they changed?

Archived