Premed 101 Forums

2011 Interview Discussion

Who else is clinging to hope that the admissions office is considering sending out invites at 10pm?

Lol even if they were still working, they wouldn't be able to send out emails now lest we catch on that they have no personal lives outside of undergraduate MD admissions :) And reputation IS everything to these people...

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha, well of course I was kidding but yes, I'm a med school app virgin and in 3rd year, how about you?

Nice way to put it :). Second time around (and thankfully the last), got nipped last year at Queen's since I have a 9/R combo. Applied very narrowly last year so US + Canada apps for me this year.

Good luck to you in the midst of your undegrad!

AH no. I couldn't resist so I called the admissions office, they said "there's a good chance that interview decisions won't be released until after Christmas this year".

The other day my mom commented that this thing Queen's does is akin to the way a cat plays with a mouse before killing it.

Well of course everybody deals with it differently, I am too excited for an opportunity to interview for my top-choice med school, so I check pm periodically to stop the interview decision from distracting the rest of my life. Obviously I'd love to play it cool but, come on, a lot of us have been working towards this for many, many, years. Can't help but get a little anxious.

And YES proton!

Food for thought:

Queens said they are going to send out interview offers on a rolling basis. If they were just using strict cut-offs there would be no point in having a rolling application process. . .

Is this another indication of Queens possibly having moved to a holistic process?

Feedback.

- Lupe

Food for thought:

Queens said they are going to send out interview offers on a rolling basis. If they were just using strict cut-offs there would be no point in having a rolling application process. . .

Is this another indication of Queens possibly having moved to a holistic process?

Feedback.

- Lupe

Probably not, they did a rolling process last year, and there were strict cut-offs.

Yea, I’m also finding Queen’s selection process a little strange as well. They say that they use hard cutoffs but use a rolling system to notify applicants which doesn’t make sense if they’re using cutoffs. Why not send them all at once? Could it be that maybe they’re organizing interview weekends at the same time as notifications are sent? I wish they were a little more transparent like Western is.

Yea, I’m also finding Queen’s selection process a little strange as well. They say that they use hard cutoffs but use a rolling system to notify applicants which doesn’t make sense if they’re using cutoffs. Why not send them all at once? Could it be that maybe they’re organizing interview weekends at the same time as notifications are sent? I wish they were a little more transparent like Western is.

Vast number of applicants.... I think they just enter people into their respective mailing lists as they go and send them out when they have a good enough batch.

There is a large data entry component I'm sure. It's not like Queen's can say these are our cutoffs OMSAS.... send e-mails. They do it all themselves, and have to look at each application to make sure the applicant has the minimal pre-requisite courses (maybe not if your taking them in the current year), and find the grad student applications, who they consider below the GPA cutoff on a case by case basis. Seemingly simple stuff can take a long time.

Also, 2 years ago, they had a server error trying to send out all emails at once on a Friday. Most of the rejections went through but nothing else which lead got tonnes of calls and e-mails on the Monday morning to the effect of where is my e-mail... did I make the cutoffs?

Spreading it out gives them time in case of error.

Archived