Premed 101 Forums

2011 Interview Discussion

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah, but ottawa ranks your GPA afterwards no?

I really hope Queen's sticks to throwing out the GPA and MCAT scores.

Post-interview, you're ranked on your interview score and then ranked by your GPA at UofO. But acceptance still strongly depends on your interview score. But I was talking about pre-interview. Who knows what Queen's will do post-interview this year.

I'm not saying I'm not okay with it! I just think it's not very classy. They charged interviewees for drinks at their student party last year , and I didn't mind that cuz that's fundraising for the student society. But charging interviewees for lunch...lol. I think it's really funny! After rejecting us, then inviting us, you'd think we'd get a free lunch...lol

+1 lol. Free lunch is usually standard for interviewees.

The lunches should be free... they are supposed to be hosting a weekend for people to get to know the school. I don't think it makes a very good impression to make people pay for their lunch. Drink tickets I understand, but food? really?

On another note, the bursary application is due March 31st? So we have to apply before we even know if we got in?!? Very weird!

On another note, the bursary application is due March 31st? So we have to apply before we even know if we got in?!? Very weird!

Yeah I dont understand this either. This doesnt make sense whats the point of processing an application that may not be needed. It seems like more work on their part.

yeah i agree .. the first thought tht occurred to me is omg i better write this down somewhere or else i'll forget to bring my "indoor" shoes? :S well i'll be wearing my indoor shoes outdoors when i got o my other interviews but yehhh .. i guess we can keep it in tht room as well ? bc i wnt be havin a bag tht can fit a pair of shoes ... speaking of which - what do ppl normally carry w them to their interview? a copy of their application? :S anything else ??

yeah i agree .. the first thought tht occurred to me is omg i better write this down somewhere or else i'll forget to bring my "indoor" shoes? :S well i'll be wearing my indoor shoes outdoors when i got o my other interviews but yehhh .. i guess we can keep it in tht room as well ? bc i wnt be havin a bag tht can fit a pair of shoes ... speaking of which - what do ppl normally carry w them to their interview? a copy of their application? :S anything else ??

I know it sounds silly, but it's a rule that all the med students and staff have to abide by when we go into the CEC (building where the interviews take place). If we don't bring indoor shoes, we have to wear these blue shoe protectors over our shoes/boots when we see patients.

And no, you would never need a copy of your application or anything. Just bring ID.

I'm not sure if it's answered in the forum, but has anyone figured out (ie. heard from med students or admin office) if there will also be a panel interview in addition to the MMI, or is it strictly MMI?

As an aside, would it be weird if I carried a bottle of water with me during the interview? I know there's probably a rest station, but taking a quick sip before each station would really help me think more clearly and calm my nerves.

I'm not sure if it's answered in the forum, but has anyone figured out (ie. heard from med students or admin office) if there will also be a panel interview in addition to the MMI, or is it strictly MMI?

As an aside, would it be weird if I carried a bottle of water with me during the interview? I know there's probably a rest station, but taking a quick sip before each station would really help me think more clearly and calm my nerves.

mmi, you probably cant bring water into the room but there will def. be fluid available during your 2min break (speaking from my own mmi experience)

I believe it is MMI only.

• 3 weeks later...

^ You probably know this by now, but there is a panel interview at the end.

Also, I'd like to point out that the 2014 class video (recently finished!!) is just phenomenal. If you plan on sticking around for the information session, walking tour etc., you're in for a real treat. If you're not, you are massively missing out and should reconsider. The video is amazing and really highlights one of the best parts of Queen's med -- the closeness of your peers, the amazing class dynamics and unrivaled class spirit!

does anyone have any logical speculation with regards to the panel being open file or not?

I really can't decide if it makes sense that it will be, especially since this is an MMI (which is implemented to reduce the costs and time needed for a traditional interview).

On the other hand, open file makes more sense.

Has queen's been open file in the past?

The last few years have been a closed file interview but that certainly doesn't mean it'll be the same this year.

And the video is definitely not something to be missed! Highlights all the reasons I love Queen's so much and definitely showcases some of the creativity and talent in the class.

Archived