Premed 101 Forums

2011 Interview Discussion

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh okay, I didn't realize they would lower the GPA and MCAT cut-offs as well because I thought that this was their answer for interviewing too many candidates

Well, I would imagine that's how it would be used, but it could also be used to eliminate a few of their interview candidates.

To be honest, under the current system there are some people who don't have a hope in hell in the interview. I know someone who got an interview at Queen's last year who would be utterly hopeless in an interview (no extracurriculars aside from an hour a week at a hospital gift shop, and very little interpersonal skills). It's almost mean of Queen's in the first place to give someone with very weak extracurriculars an interview since they're almost certainly not going to accept them.

I really don't see this potential change as a bad thing no matter how you slice it.

Well it depends how they go through with it, but it could be bad for those of us with a high GPA and MCAT that like the idea of a "guaranteed" interview. I think my extracurriculars are okay (I put in about 10 hours a week, I do a variety of ecs), but it's nothing jaw-dropping and so I wouldn't be shocked if I wasn't offered an interview at Ottawa or U of T, since their evaluation process seems pretty random at times.

Lol i'm scared for tomorrow

Will they or will they not start giving out interveiew invites?

Anyone thiking tomorrow could be it?

I think they only return to office Jan 4th, in any case I don't expect to see them issuing any notice of interviews probably till mid Jan.

Students were the ones responsible for evaluating the ABS, and their evaluations weren't due in until yesterday. I'd say it'll be next week at the earliest before notifications are sent out.

So they are using the ABS this cycle?

Yes. ABS and reference letters were scored and will be factored in.

This is very encouraging news indeed! I'm not the least bit surprised though since Richard Reznick was appointed Dean at Queen's Health sci over the summer. He was instrumental to UofT's process in the past. He is also a huge proponent of research in medicine which I think bodes well for all the grad applicants this year!

Do you think they will still be as strict with the GPA/MCAT cutoffs if they're taking ABS and reference letters into account?

Hi!

First post from me, just joined a few minutes ago but I've been following this thread for awhile..

My friend was one of the student reviewers of this cycle's applicants and from what he has told me, they are only reviewing applicants that have already made the GPA/MCAT cutoffs..so chances of them being more lenient are slim since the apps that they got assigned to review have already made through the cutoffs.

He thinks this is to further reduce the number of interviews given their history of having too many applicants to interview, ie. ~800.

that's my two cents and it's mostly speculation.

how many students were reviewing files? and how many files did each person review? if we knew that, we would know how many people are in the running and therefore conclude if they had already established firm cutoffs.

I believe my friend got 20 files to review, and about 50 students were reviewing in total (the last i heard)...

so approximately 1000 applications is my guess.

but, like its been discussed extensively in the past pages, Im not sure if they would be using the students' reviews in their selection process, or just seeing what the outcome might be from the students' reviews and implementing it officially next year, for example...given that this is the first time that they have done such a thing. Because, what if they find huge variations in each students' collective reports? with some students being more lenient on applicants than others? Maybe they would need to review this carefully before deciding it if its a go..

Also..i forgot to mention.. i think for each application, a student reviews it along with a faculty member...so this might alleviate any bias or skewed results...but these are just thoughts running through my head.

Archived