Premed 101 Forums

2011 Interview Discussion

Because mcat is a set value compared to a range of gpas. Plus, I can easily imagine an applicant pool where more people are getting 3.9+ than getting r on the ws.

Not quite what I was getting at - the range/set values doesn't really make much of a difference. And true, it's possible more people get 3.9+ than R's, but then why not make the cutoff in the 3.9+ range. Hm, I'm sure that comment won't make me popular on this forum...but that cutoff would eliminate me, too!

I'm just disappointed that once you make the queen's cutoff, there isn't a reward for a great gpa. Yeah, we've already discussed how mcat is more standardized, and I agree, but who else is annoyed that the mcat is a more significant barrier than gpa to getting in, despite the relatively huge effort you put into your entire gpa record over an mcat exam.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... but who else is annoyed that the mcat is a more significant barrier than gpa to getting in, despite the relatively huge effort you put into your entire gpa record over an mcat exam.

There are urban legends of premeds studying for the mcat for years, decades even. I've even heard of those getting audio osmosis right in the womb *shudder*.

I'm just disappointed that once you make the queen's cutoff, there isn't a reward for a great gpa. Yeah, we've already discussed how mcat is more standardized, and I agree, but who else is annoyed that the mcat is a more significant barrier than gpa to getting in, despite the relatively huge effort you put into your entire gpa record over an mcat exam.

I guess the high MCAT cutoff is a way for people who've perhaps picked the wrong program or sacrificed study time for something else to "atone" and redeem themselves.

If every school in Canada was like that, we'd all be angry I think. But Queen's IS just one school :P

And I think that is good that different schools can attract different kinds of applicants by varying their entry standards. Not everyone is the same, right?

I guess the high MCAT cutoff is a way for people who've perhaps picked the wrong program or sacrificed study time for something else to "atone" and redeem themselves.

If every school in Canada was like that, we'd all be angry I think. But Queen's IS just one school :P

And I think that is good that different schools can attract different kinds of applicants by varying their entry standards. Not everyone is the same, right?

I think for non-trads, especially, this is a great point. Because of my background, I'll never get into UofT, for example. Even with weighting I will still have some Fs included, from way back in 1998.

But Queen's! This is probably the school I have the best shot at, at least for next year. I think this is amazing, especially in light of my, ahem, "life experience" (that just means I'm old).

A 3.6 or 3.7 GPA is still pretty decent, in the scheme of things.

Not quite what I was getting at - the range/set values doesn't really make much of a difference. And true, it's possible more people get 3.9+ than R's, but then why not make the cutoff in the 3.9+ range. Hm, I'm sure that comment won't make me popular on this forum...but that cutoff would eliminate me, too!

Queen's has traditionally had lower GPA cut-offs and higher MCAT ones. Very similar to Western's lower GPA and high verbal reasoning. Looking at the overall picture I think that it balances out because school's like Ottawa and UfT put more of an emphasis on marks pre-interview.

Queen's does it the way it does because of two reasons. Firstly, as everyone mentioned it needs a way to cut-down the applicants. Secondly, I think it accommodates for the people doing harder undergraduate programs and non-traditional applicants.

I don't think that Queen's has the perfect method, but it gives a chance to people that wouldn't have interviewed at Ottawa for example. People could complain that Ottawa has way too high GPA standards and doesn't look at the MCAT. So it's good that all schools provide an opportunity in different ways.

That being said, personally I think UfT's holistic approach is the closest it comes to looking at the entire application.

-CD

Has anyone ever asked admissions WHY they don't officially release cutoffs, even though they are clearly going by hard cutoffs??

The best answer to that question I can think of is from what they answered on their website under the FAQs.

"What is the required marks for the GPA and MCAT?"

"The MCAT and GPA cuts fluctuate each year depending on the overall marks of our pool of applicants. Therefore, we cannot predict what the cuts will be from year to year."

Maybe that is why they don't release it as they cannot predict the next year, and hence maybe don't want to give people hope if they are on the borderline and then having to answer questions after they reject pre-interview.

Just my two cents but no really knows...

Has anyone ever asked admissions WHY they don't officially release cutoffs, even though they are clearly going by hard cutoffs??

I had asked them and was told it was because the applicant pool changes every year (and thus the cutoffs). They do not want potential applicants to be swayed by past cutoffs and not end up applying.

OK- so I kind of made a boo-boo the other day. I called them to ask questions, and I told them that I was slightly below cut-offs. She asked me how I knew what the cutoffs were- I said there are groups of people discussing who has what, and who gets offers, etc, and if there are enough people it becomes pretty easy to figure out. It sounded like it was news to her.

To tell you the truth, I think it's about $$. I don't usually say that, but it's possible. They don't really have to put a lot of effort in (not when compared to places scoring ABS). They don't want to discourage people with a strong MCAT and a 3.5 GPA, or a 13/13/13Q and a 4.0 from applying.

I had asked them and was told it was because the applicant pool changes every year (and thus the cutoffs). They do not want potential applicants to be swayed by past cutoffs and not end up applying.

To tell you the truth, I think it's about $$. I don't usually say that, but it's possible. They don't really have to put a lot of effort in (not when compared to places scoring ABS). They don't want to discourage people with a strong MCAT and a 3.5 GPA, or a 13/13/13Q and a 4.0 from applying.

Even if the applicant pool changes every year, the cutoffs remain fairly static throughout the years. Potential applicants usually apply anyways, because they already know that cutoffs change every year.... and every year premed101 deduces the cutoffs without too much effort. What's the point in not releasing cutoffs? I guess they enjoy being all mysterious and s**t.

...yeah I'm fairly anxious. Borderline GPA... :confused:

Even if the applicant pool changes every year, the cutoffs remain fairly static throughout the years. Potential applicants usually apply anyways, because they already know that cutoffs change every year.... and every year premed101 deduces the cutoffs without too much effort. What's the point in not releasing cutoffs? I guess they enjoy being all mysterious and s**t.

...yeah I'm fairly anxious. Borderline GPA... :confused:

There's this document floating around (and if you search premed101 you'll find it) that shows all the cut-offs for recent years from all the schools. It looked like an official document, so I'm assuming they released it to someone...

There's this document floating around (and if you search premed101 you'll find it) that shows all the cut-offs for recent years from all the schools. It looked like an official document, so I'm assuming they released it to someone...

Probably the work of someone on the forums? Queen's hasn't officially released anything...

...and this thread has gone over 8,000 views. :D

Archived