Premed 101 Forums

2011 Interview Discussion

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some people could be getting 3 interviews in the last week of January... Queens, Toronto, Ottawa.

Crazy.

Ultimate epic. I'd be ecstatic with just one, the middle one please :).

Although Queen's (with the small size of the program) and a potential holistic approach would be pretty darn good too.

Ah daydreams, continuously crushed in this crazy application process.

I almost pee'd when I saw the heading. LOL.

This was the beginning of the e-mail sent, so you can only imagine: (I'm not reposting it in its entirety because it's an advertisement for interview prep at Queen's - if you are interested in the ad, let me know and I can PM it to you)

Dear Queen’s Science Student,

Have you recently been invited for a

Medical School interview?

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Now What? Are you Unsure where to Begin? Puzzled by Interview Techniques and Questions?

This was the beginning of the e-mail sent, so you can only imagine: (I'm not reposting it in its entirety because it's an advertisement for interview prep at Queen's - if you are interested in the ad, let me know and I can PM it to you)

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Now What? Are you Unsure where to Begin? Puzzled by Interview Techniques and Questions?

My first thought was "No, not yet! And whose fault is that?"

CONGRATULATIONS!!

oh man...that's brutal...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Cruel.

10char

Is very unethical for queen of university to provoke angry student wanting compassion in Canadian medicine. no standards (and lies) set so how do i trust this school for good education if they are not able to meet own promised date. i predict many student accepted will go to other schools and condemn imperialism in canada

i have message for you queen

<<怎么就吸我的阴茎>>

google may per translation... not a good outcome for me

HAHA

pedobear is that you?

FYI....I had emailed regarding whether the MCAT cutoffs will be hard/absolute this cycle and the answer is that the cutoffs will be absolute and must be met. So as they (appear to) transition to a more holistic review process, hard cutoffs are still retained.

I was also told that applicants should expect to hear from them the last week of January. This suggests that they're not sending out batch-by-batch invites, but instead everyone will find out next week (they might still stagger invites throughout next week, rather than in a single mass email). It also confirms that the delay since mid-December was in fact to embark on some form of a more holistic review process.

I would not be surprised to see MCAT cutoffs below 10. A more holistic review also means that they can target candidates distinct from those with high VR scores that UWO and Mac also cater to. I guess all speculations will be proved/disproved soon.....

Why does the fact that they will send out invitations next week confirm that they are doing holistic evaluations this year? When I spoke with someone from admissions about a month ago, she alluded to a computer issue (or some kind of other technical issue) causing the delay

Earlier in the post was a lot of information about how Queen's is scoring the letters of reference and autobiographical sketches. I have several friends in the medicine program here and I can confirm that it's true.

How these scores are used is anyone's guess. Obviously there are a lot of hopeful people here who want Queen's to lower the cutoffs and then review more people using the ABS score as a further "cutoff."

There is also the possibility that Queen's will maintain cutoffs that are just as stringent but will use ABS scores to decrease the number of interview offers. They could also not use the ABS and letter of reference scores pre-interview, and can just use them as part of a "post-interview" score.

Lastly, Queen's could also do nothing with this information. They could use it to evaluate whether a method of scoring ABS and letters of reference correlate to performance during medical school.

I personally believe the second option is most likely (maintaining cutoffs and cutting down the number of interviewees to 400-500). But it's really anyone's guess, so don't get too stressed either way. No one knows how the ABS/reference letters are even being evaluated; so even if you're one of those students with a perfect MCAT/GPA and poor extracurriculars, perhaps they will weigh academics beyond predetermined cutoffs.

Who knows. Don't worry about it, we all find out within the next week or so. Then the real fun begins (of figuring out what the heck they did)!

Archived