Premed 101 Forums

2011 Interview Discussion

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Food for thought:

Queens said they are going to send out interview offers on a rolling basis. If they were just using strict cut-offs there would be no point in having a rolling application process. . .

Is this another indication of Queens possibly having moved to a holistic process?

Feedback.

- Lupe

I fully agree! I know people have suggested that one of the reasons for the delay and rolling invites is due to past computer glitches, but that alone cannot account for this lengthy delay (in fact, glitch fears would mean they would've started small batch by batch invites already). I think there's some degree of holistic review in progress already and likely to be implemented for this batch.

I emailed on Monday to inquire as to the delay (based on their previous email saying mid-December invites) and whether there are any changes to the selection process....needless to say, I have not received a reply....perhaps they're strategically radio silent.....but this only adds to the rampant speculations underway already.....

i have pretty decent and reliable information that indeed, there is a review of the ABS and ref. letters this year. Apparently it is being done by both students and faculty.

There is however, still a cuttoff being implemented, so that doesn't mean that everyone will actually be reviewed. I think the point of the whole process is to reduce the amount of interviewees (probably to make the transition into MMI easier with having less weekends to book off).

Not sure how this is affecting grad students like myself. It seems that they have just made the whole grad review universal to all students.

The real question is how are they 'marking' the ABS? Are there extra points for research productivity, sports, employment, etc...

m1428:

That sounds AMAZING lol. I wanna try! :P

Throw in a Zelda puzzle and it'd be perfect.

Good times will be had by all :)

Students were the ones responsible for evaluating the ABS, and their evaluations weren't due in until yesterday. I'd say it'll be next week at the earliest before notifications are sent out.

This information seems legit, now that I've heard the basis of the above post... so we can be fairly sure now that there is indeed some holistic review going on. I don't know how I should react to that, though...

Have to say I am slightly excited by all this speculation. It can turn out to be nothing, sure. Yet with a new dean in charge it just feels like change is coming.

The application process is evolving all over (Canada & US) and Queen's turning a page in theirs to become more holistic (like U/T) would definitely not be a bad thing :).

Good luck guys! Only a few more weeks to go at best before we start finding out.

Have to say I am slightly excited by all this speculation. It can turn out to be nothing, sure. Yet with a new dean in charge it just feels like change is coming.

The application process is evolving all over (Canada & US) and Queen's turning a page in theirs to become more holistic (like U/T) would definitely not be a bad thing :).

Good luck guys! Only a few more weeks to go at best before we start finding out.

Damn I wish I applied to queens this year! I guess we will see if they are actaully more holistic now.

Do you think there is still any benefit for those holding a grad degree? Like do you think they will still take a hard look at grad students who meet the MCAT but not the GPA cut like they claim? Or is that kinda done away with now?

This is pure speculation at this point of course, but the fact that their new dean is a huge proponent of research and was part of UofT holistic process that traditionally liked grad students, I'm inclined to think Queen's will not turn a blind eye towards grad applicants with the new changes....on the contrary!

Just my 2 cents of course....

or instead of interviewing 400+ students, they just want to interview 300 students (much more manageable to do in even a sole weekend for the MMI format) and thus cutoffs will stay the same, but it the selection will just be more holistic for that pool.
Yeah, I though about this before posting. But my reasoning is that they can lower the mcat cutoffs and still reduce the number of students being interviewed using the ABS scoring. I`m just trying to give people who have less than an R some hope.

This is a big week with rumors of Western releasing their cutoffs and Queens being rumored to release their invites... I say Monday for both Queens and Western.

Monday? Why so soon?

I would think Friday for both. You always release bad news on a Friday (note: bad news for most, not all).

Not counting when cutoffs will be released, but when are actual interview invitations sent for Queen's/Western? Around the same time as cutoffs, or are they significantly delayed?

Queen's doesn't release cutoffs. They should have sent their invites a while ago so no one knows exactly when the invites will be going out.

Western releases the cut offs and sends interview invites at the same time.

I might be wrong, but I think the reason for the Western rumours is that last year and the year before, they posted the cutoffs on this week's Monday (although they didn't send the official notifications that day). Of course they could decide not to do that this year...

I might be wrong, but I think the reason for the Western rumours is that last year and the year before, they posted the cutoffs on this week's Monday (although they didn't send the official notifications that day). Of course they could decide not to do that this year...

That may be part of it, but also someone on one of the Western threads described talking to someone in admissions who said it would be +/- 17th. They could very easily be full of it, but I think that is why there is some nervous energy around today.

That may be part of it, but also someone on one of the Western threads described talking to someone in admissions who said it would be +/- 17th. They could very easily be full of it, but I think that is why there is some nervous energy around today.

I can confirm that this is what was said. I was the one that asked the question about when the cutoffs would get posted and somebody else who had the same question was behind me. I think he was the one that posted this news on the forums. The woman at the admissions office told me that they would have a meeting to determine the cutoffs on the 14th, and that the cutoffs would most likely get posted on the 17th. My guess is that they are working on interview invites, and looking at MCAT scores/GPA for specific candidates, and that these cutoffs will be out very soon.

Archived