Premed 101 Forums

eternal dilemma: sleep early and wake up early to study or study late?

Boa

LOL I was glad to read that article because I am definitely a night owl. I can stay up super late to study but I can never force myself to wake up early to study.. and even if I do somehow manage to wake up early (probably because my exam date is coming too close for comfort), I find that I can't concentrate if it's too early in the morning.

Let's get some numbers in. What times do you guys consider "Early" and "Late"?

I wake at 7 on weekdays and probably at 8ish on weekend. Classes start at 9am 4 days out of 5 so I need to be up by 7. I maintain a similar pattern on weekends so that the cycle doesn't get upset, and consider myself an early riser.

And I almost always get exactly 8 hours of sleep. Any less and I collapse around 5pm

In an ideal world I would like to go to bed at 10 and get up at 6. But usually I go to bed at midnight and get up sometime between 7 and 8 (I don't usually set an alarm these days, I just wake up whenever I wake up). And I had whole summers during undergrad where I was up all night using the telescope almost every night and I slept from 8am-noon and then again from 5-8pm or whenever I could find a table to take a nap under during the day. It actually kind of worked, oddly enough.

During the finals last semester, I had 7 finals in total, most of which are one next to another and 8am. I pulled all nighters pretty much throughout the exam week and sleep from noon to 5pm after each exam to rejuvenate. It worked well for me (managed a 3.94), but I was looking very sickly after it all came to an end. --->i'm definitely nocturnal.

I have strange problems with my eyes. I need a full 8 hrs of sleep or else the next day my eyes will be red and scratchy all day. I will also feel feverish. So I have learned last year how NOT to cram. Instead I study a bit each day, more heavily before exams, and I make sure I get a good nights sleep.

Regular week for me: get up at 8:00AM, bed by 11:00PM.

weekend: Get up around 9:30AM, or later. Bed by 12:30 or 1AM.

If that pattern changes I get insomnia for days, or weeks even. Last week I couldn't sleep for 3 days, but warm milk helps :)

weird!

my sleep pattern's not meant for school, they'd be perfect for the er though! when i'm not in school i go to bed at 4-6 am and wake up at 11-noon, when i'm in school i go to bed at 4 am and wake up as late as i can. weekends are for crashing.

I have strange problems with my eyes. I need a full 8 hrs of sleep or else the next day my eyes will be red and scratchy all day. I will also feel feverish. So I have learned last year how NOT to cram. Instead I study a bit each day, more heavily before exams, and I make sure I get a good nights sleep.

Regular week for me: get up at 8:00AM, bed by 11:00PM.

weekend: Get up around 9:30AM, or later. Bed by 12:30 or 1AM.

If that pattern changes I get insomnia for days, or weeks even. Last week I couldn't sleep for 3 days, but warm milk helps :)

weird!

my sleep pattern's not meant for school, they'd be perfect for the er though! when i'm not in school i go to bed at 4-6 am and wake up at 11-noon, when i'm in school i go to bed at 4 and wake up as late as i can. weekends are for crashing.

Sorry, you go to bed at 4AM or 4PM lol I'm not sure which one you mean, and I hate to ASSume things.

from

http://calnewport.com/blog/

Pre-Med Schedules and the Possibility of Finishing Your Work Before Dinner

The Plight of the Pre-Med

Of all Study Hack readers, pre-meds are among the most skeptical. They tell me that although they like my philosophy of doing a small number of things well, this is impossible for them. Their course load is too demanding. Filling most waking hours with work is unavoidable.

Then there’s Nathan.

Nathan is pre-med at the University of Texas at Austin, where he’s currently tackling the weed out courses that give this major its bad reputation. Here’s what makes Nathan interesting to me: he finishes his work by 5:30 pm every weekday.

In fact, he doesn’t just finish it, he dominates it.

“On the last chemistry test, the average score was a 57,” he told me recently. “I made a 98…My professors are fascinated by me.”

Naturally, I asked him to share a typical day’s schedule:

6:00 to 6:30: Breakfast/Shower

6:30 to 9:30: Study

9:30 to 10:20: Class

10:30 to 11:30: Study

11:30 to 12:30: Lunch

12:30 to 1:30: Class

1:30 to 2:30: Class

2:30 to 5:30: Study

5:30 to 11:00: Chill by meeting girls, explore the rolling hills and lakes of Austin, listen to live music, etc.

Here are two things I noticed about Nathan:

First, he’s not necessarily working less than his peers. His schedule includes 40 hours of studying per week, which is about right for his course load. He simply consolidates this work better.

“But he wakes up at 6,” you might complain, “I could never do that.”

Nathan’s out chasing girls before most students have even started their work for the day. Fair trade, if you ask me.

The second thing I noticed is that he’s obsessive about focus. He doesn’t just “study,” he works on the 7th floor of the engineering library: one of the most isolated spots on campus (see the above image). He works in 50 minutes chunks, and does 10 minutes of calisthenics, right there on the library floor, between every chunk. In three hours of this focused studying, he probably accomplishes more work than most pre-meds do in ten.

I don’t claim that Nathan represents a specific system that all pre-med students should follow. To me, he’s just a nice example of a more fundamental observation: the happiest students are those who take control of their academic experience, molding it to fit their own ideal of a life well-lived.

I am a night owl and it worked super well for me. Looking back at my undergrad I realized a pattern. First year woke up at 8 went to bed at 12. ****ty GPA compared to the other 3 years. Second year went to bed around 2 woke up at 11ish, GPA close to 4.0. 3rd year went to bed around 4 woke up after 12 every day GPA closer to 4.0. 4th year, went to bed around 6 am every day and woke up around 2 pm, GPA=4.0 on top of interviews. Med school year 1 = woke up at 7:30 went to bed around 10:30, then worst marks I have ever gotten in my life.

from

http://calnewport.com/blog/

Pre-Med Schedules and the Possibility of Finishing Your Work Before Dinner

The Plight of the Pre-Med

Of all Study Hack readers, pre-meds are among the most skeptical. They tell me that although they like my philosophy of doing a small number of things well, this is impossible for them. Their course load is too demanding. Filling most waking hours with work is unavoidable.

Then there’s Nathan.

Nathan is pre-med at the University of Texas at Austin, where he’s currently tackling the weed out courses that give this major its bad reputation. Here’s what makes Nathan interesting to me: he finishes his work by 5:30 pm every weekday.

In fact, he doesn’t just finish it, he dominates it.

“On the last chemistry test, the average score was a 57,” he told me recently. “I made a 98…My professors are fascinated by me.”

Naturally, I asked him to share a typical day’s schedule:

6:00 to 6:30: Breakfast/Shower

6:30 to 9:30: Study

9:30 to 10:20: Class

10:30 to 11:30: Study

11:30 to 12:30: Lunch

12:30 to 1:30: Class

1:30 to 2:30: Class

2:30 to 5:30: Study

5:30 to 11:00: Chill by meeting girls, explore the rolling hills and lakes of Austin, listen to live music, etc.

Here are two things I noticed about Nathan:

First, he’s not necessarily working less than his peers. His schedule includes 40 hours of studying per week, which is about right for his course load. He simply consolidates this work better.

“But he wakes up at 6,” you might complain, “I could never do that.”

Nathan’s out chasing girls before most students have even started their work for the day. Fair trade, if you ask me.

The second thing I noticed is that he’s obsessive about focus. He doesn’t just “study,” he works on the 7th floor of the engineering library: one of the most isolated spots on campus (see the above image). He works in 50 minutes chunks, and does 10 minutes of calisthenics, right there on the library floor, between every chunk. In three hours of this focused studying, he probably accomplishes more work than most pre-meds do in ten.

I don’t claim that Nathan represents a specific system that all pre-med students should follow. To me, he’s just a nice example of a more fundamental observation: the happiest students are those who take control of their academic experience, molding it to fit their own ideal of a life well-lived.

I lol'd at this machine. There's no way u need 6 hours a day to study on top of all the classes. I did 2 hours a day max when I had classes and obtained 4.0 GPA for full course load. When I don't have classes I studied about 4 to 5 hours at most. Looking at his schedule. It leaves absolutely no slacking time in between which is very very hard to do for most people as he doesn't take a break at all while studying. And even that schedule, he get less than 7 hours of sleep. I can never do well on tests without 9+ hours of sleep (exam time I need about 11 hours a day). All I can say is, his schedule is hard for most people to follow. Or nearly impossible for others to follow.

Archived