Premed 101 Forums

2015 Backpacks

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna agree with you. It's not a matter of being self-conscious for me; it's just a matter of keeping as low of a profile as possible. If I do end up in a medical school next year, I'm probably going to keep using either the backpack or messenger bag that I have now.

+1 - I don't feel the need to parade around campus with a big "I'm a med student" advertisement on my back. I'd rather keep and use my old backpack.

+1 - I don't feel the need to parade around campus with a big "I'm a med student" advertisement on my back. I'd rather keep and use my old backpack.
Yeah. I like the idea of a backpack that allows you to be able to identify other med students in your year or other years. Plus, I need a new backpack anyway. I just don't particularly like all the advertisements on it. Actually, the amount of stuff on the bags currently is ok. I don't like the new UofO ones though.

i dont wear mine round the city since i prefer the low profile and you sort of know who's in your class, but i wear it when i travel across canada, you'd be surprised how many other ppl in med will randomly start talking to you, it's sort of interesting... the first time it happened it actually creeped me out, this dude at an airport was like how are you liking your first year of med and im like wtf!?! who are you, do you know me?? he ended up being a med student from ontario and apologized, i've actually met a few more people randomly since then, once you know how they know you you don't get creeped out so much, lol.

Yeah. I like the idea of a backpack that allows you to be able to identify other med students in your year or other years. Plus, I need a new backpack anyway. I just don't particularly like all the advertisements on it. Actually, the amount of stuff on the bags currently is ok. I don't like the new UofO ones though.

i dont wear mine round the city since i prefer the low profile and you sort of know who's in your class, but i wear it when i travel across canada, you'd be surprised how many other ppl in med will randomly start talking to you, it's sort of interesting... the first time it happened it actually creeped me out, this dude at an airport was like how are you liking your first year of med and im like wtf!?! who are you, do you know me?? he ended up being a med student from ontario and apologized, i've actually met a few more people randomly since then, once you know how they know you you don't get creeped out so much, lol.
lol.

And that's what I meant. Not identifying the people in your class, but seeing people from other schools in the same year as you.

Currently as an undergrad I hate it when I see people around campus in those backpacks, but secretly I can't wait for the chance to wear one next year as a med student (at Mun or Dal) .

Black would he hella cool, but I have a feeling that they won't go from grey to black.

Nope, you just take what you get that year. I like our current ones, they're neutral so they don't stand out too much.

Agreed, they're only conspicuous if a group of us are walking together. They're very useful in September when you still don't know everyone in your class. Nobody needs to feel self-conscious about wearing one. I come from a non-premed undergrad program and I didn't even know what the backpacks were until I got one myself.

• 2 months later...
My feelings are the exact opposite of this. lol

I'm with you as well. I just got into medical school; my ego doesn't need any more stroking. I'm considering trying to take the MD off or sewing a badge over it. That way the backpack is still recognisable to other students, but isn't a flaunt to outsiders.

I still won't be wearing it around campus I don't think, except maybe during the first few days to get to know others.

I'm with you as well. I just got into medical school; my ego doesn't need any more stroking. I'm considering trying to take the MD off or sewing a badge over it. That way the backpack is still recognisable to other students, but isn't a flaunt to outsiders.

I still won't be wearing it around campus I don't think, except maybe during the first few days to get to know others.

half the fun of being a premed is pointing out the backpacks when you see them and either admiring or hating whoever is wearing them... why would I deprive other premeds on campus that opportunity by not wearing my backpack? :P

but for real, I am super excited to get mine! I have held off on buying a new backpack since I bought one at the start of undergrad (said backpack is now destroyed) for this reason exactly... here's hoping it's dark green!

There has been a fair bit of discussion about the perceived pretension about wearing these bags around. I think there has been an overestimation over how much people will recognize these bags for what they are and even care about it. I didn't realize that these MD bags were for med students until I knew people who got them. I didn't even know MD Financial was exclusively for medical professionals until recently. This could be ignorance on my part, but I think it is indicative of the average person.

Most people won't recognize these backpacks as being an indicator for medical students, and more still don't know how competitive it may be to get into med school, so, of those who know what it is, a good chunk won't think it is anything to flaunt so they won't care.

In my opinion, these bags are just a token from MD Financial to try to get your business and a nice way for med students to identify each other. I think the only non-meds people who will care about the bag are the ones who would recognize it even with the MD logo covered up.

That being said, I am also a little apprehensive about wearing the bag, but mostly because I foresee a lot of mixups in a classroom with 204 identical backpacks :P

Archived