Premed 101 Forums

Wearing scrub pants at gym = douche?

tooty

Scrub pants + normal t-shirt at community gym = douche?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Scrub pants + normal t-shirt at community gym = douche?

• Yes
    • No

I'd like to just change out of a scrub top into a t-shirt but keep my scrub pants on to workout in the gym. It would be super convenient as it saves me from going to a locker, taking off my shoes, socks, etc. This is a community gym so I'm not doing it in fear of looking like a douche.

What's your opinion?

If I ever see someone wearing scrubs outside of the workplace, I would actually go out my way to put myself in a confrontational situation with them by intentionally making fun of them in a position where they can hear me.

I am dead serious about this.

If I ever see someone wearing scrubs outside of the workplace, I would actually go out my way to put myself in a confrontational situation with them by intentionally making fun of them in a position where they can hear me.

Haha.. this post gave me a good laugh

I never understood this...personally I associate scrubs with the hospital and all the MRSA/VRE/other nasty stuff that could be attached to them. I have been lazy and worn scrubs home or driven in them, but I never run errands in them because if I see people doing that in public, I wonder where their scrubs have been and bringing it into pubilc isn't exactly great.

One thing that really bothers me is scrubs in a grocery store, ick....and same with a gym where there is physical contact.

Now if they're CLEAN scrubs, I don't get it at all....why not just wear normal gym clothes? And why would you want to go to work/hosptial after you're sweating up a storm in scrubs? People have to stand in close proximity when wearing scrubs in the OR lol.

And there's a huge slit on the side, which is kinda really inconvenient....

I never understood this...personally I associate scrubs with the hospital and all the MRSA/VRE/other nasty stuff that could be attached to them. I have been lazy and worn scrubs home or driven in them, but I never run errands in them because if I see people doing that in public, I wonder where their scrubs have been and bringing it into pubilc isn't exactly great.

This!

I definitely understand the convenience factor, but if I was working out next to someone in scrub pants, I would wonder where they had been! They're technically intended to remain within the hospital for a reason.

Do it! You want people to see how successful you are, don't you?

Scrubs don't necessarily equal success (I assume you mean physician here). Hospital janitors, room cleaners, and the high school kids handing out free hand sanitizer at the ER entrance wear scrubs too.

what if they aren't hospital issued and just the ones some nurses buy privately? i'd seriously wear scrubs and a t shirt every other day if i could get away with it and it's not an ego thing at all, they're just really comfortable.

I don't see what's wrong with it... Just because you're wearing scrubs doesn't mean anything. Like others have mentioned, you could be a doctor, nurse, volunteer, etc. And it's also not even the campus gym.

In reality, whose going to give a f*** what you're wearing to the gym? I'll tell you who, it's the people who go to the gym to stare at other people lifting weights - not the people who go there to get their workout done. And maybe they are the douche's themselves? Who knows.

If it's more convenient for you to hit the gym right after work or w/e, i'd say do it - screw what other people think. Don't inconvenience yourself for other people who are unnecessarily going to judge you, especially since you aren't intending to show off (at least I hope!).

Cheers m8

Well, if you happen to own a pair of scrubs (I may or may not have acquired them from an - ahem - out-of-province hospital in the fall), and want to wear them in whatever setting, go ahead. If, however, you take hospital scrubs for the express purpose of wearing them to the gym or wherever, you're a douche. And wearing dirty scrubs you've had on all day in hospital violates the rules and is pretty inappropriate. It's one thing to wear them home but to a gym? No way.

Situation and context is everything.

It may be easier/more convenient; in this case you are not a female cleaning device. But, realise that no one else realizes the context; they will feel you are a douche.

Do you really care what random people think? or... Is it really that hard on you to change before you workout?

I can see both sides.

Oh, come on. I don't want to be judgemental of someone wearing scrubs, but I will automatically lump that person in the same category as the kid who wears scrubs to the 2nd yr microbiology lecture. The douche category. It's just the way humans work.

Sorry.

But really, I don't go to the gym to check people out, so I probably wouldn't notice what you're wearing. :)

Am I the only one old enough to remember when scrub pants were all the rage?? Back in grade 12, I think 25% of students at my high school would be wearing scrubs on any given day! Just consider yourself "retro" :cool:

i remember this time, but i must have been in first or second year university. at my school there was rampant 'borrowing' of scrubs from hospital laundry by students from certain residences who were crazy premeds...the scary part is that they were taking them from the DIRTY laundry :eek:

for the OP:

i don't care what you wear to the gym, but there will be people who will care...many feel they should be judging (ah, we are all so righteous!). they'll think you're a douche--whether or not you care is your choice. the fact that you posted this here makes me think you do care a tiny bit so maybe err on the side of not wearing the scrub pants in the gym.

not sure, either, what the big deal is about changing. lululemon pants (for boys and girls!) or any other yoga kind of pants are also comfortable, as are shorts, and they don't exactly take up a lot of room in your gym bag.

question for the crew:

do they still make tearaway pants? now THOSE were all the rage in high school but i wasn't cool enough to have any...lol:rolleyes:

Scrubs are clothes that should ONLY be used for work in a hospital and thrown right after.

I'm always disgusted to see people wear them in public places. Just think about it, you're basically taking out of the hospital, full of extremely sick people, germs that should stay in the hospital. And if you take those clothes back to your house, you're exposing your whole family to those germs.

For someone who works in the health services, I'd think that wearing them outside of the hospital is something opposite of protecting other people's health.

I'm always disgusted to see people wear them in public places. Just think about it, you're basically taking out of the hospital, full of extremely sick people, germs that should stay in the hospital. And if you take those clothes back to your house, you're exposing your whole family to those germs.

And what about people who wear normal clothes at the hospital ? Should these clothes not leave the hospital as well?

Bring your white coat as well (that you've had embroidered with your name and program) and leave it on your equipment while you're in between sets to make sure nobody takes it while you're away at the drinking fountain and/or chatting with friends. When you've finished your last workout*, immediately get up and walk out of the gym with an impatient scowl on your face, while putting on the coat so that it flows behind you like a robe in the breeze while you're getting your arms through the sleeves.

* Even better, when your pager goes off

Archived