Premed 101 Forums

Ob/Gyn fears, anyone

First day of Ob/Gyn clerkship today, and I threw up. Not even patient contact yet, just the anatomy lab. It was the discussion of sewing up one's cervical os to prevent spontaneous abortion that did it. But pretty much any graphic description of anything related to pregnancy has me wanting to hurl and/or cry.

Anyone have a similar reaction to something in medicine? Strategies? I'm most worried that I won't even be able to study enough to pass the rotation, let alone be useful on the ward.

Aww, you poor thing! Any mention of mesh or grafts usually makes me hurl my lunch (ie: burn grafts). Just imagining a burn graft makes my hands shake.

I don't think you'll need to be sewing up very many things on obs/gyn in your clerkship; I got to repair a few perineums after simple tears, but that was the extent in the birthing room. I did do some sewing up after c-sections. Would it be better for you to get more exposure? Maybe you were really nervous?

*hugs*

Hey- I sympathise!

It's not obs/gyn for me, it's eyes. Eye surgeries freak me right out.

I did a bunch of searching online, and found videos that made me feel "squicky". Then I watched them to de-sensitize. I don't know if this would help ou, but it worked for me.

I guess this is pretty much the same thing as Renin suggested- more exposure!

Aww, you poor thing! Any mention of mesh or grafts usually makes me hurl my lunch (ie: burn grafts). Just imagining a burn graft makes my hands shake.

Really? I imagine it would depend on the area involved, but skin grafts are far from the grossest things I've seen. Wounds requiring, say, full thickness or free flap grafts might quality though.

I don't think you'll need to be sewing up very many things on obs/gyn in your clerkship; I got to repair a few perineums after simple tears, but that was the extent in the birthing room. I did do some sewing up after c-sections. Would it be better for you to get more exposure? Maybe you were really nervous?

*hugs*

This is true. There will be lots of stapling of abdominal incisions and the odd repair of lacerations, but you will get used to it. Completely normal to feel sick or faint. I had a vasovagal episode myself just a week ago or so, and it wasn't even due to anything specific (probably just too hot in the room).

I so don't like the hands on part (grosser) of medicine, I'm really going struggle with Obs/Gyn and Surgery, but as one of my favourite preceptors told me, just pretend it's the only 4 months you'll get to do this in your life and dive in, I do know that if I end up in FM I'm going to avoid Obs/Gyn as much as I can (is this possible Moo?)

Yeah... I kinda want to puke just thinking about that... I am totally fine with blood/wounds/guts but that incisions in that location... :eek:

Lol, Ryan...I cried with MY own stitches...not the episiotomy (I'm now a firm believer in these)...when I found out there were 20...omg.

Don't feel inadequate because you threw up or find it difficult...some things are gonna make us want to cross our legs and cringe--I'd be more concerned with all the people who can't emphasize or personally relate the idea of pain and intrusion at all.

I so don't like the hands on part (grosser) of medicine, I'm really going struggle with Obs/Gyn and Surgery, but as one of my favourite preceptors told me, just pretend it's the only 4 months you'll get to do this in your life and dive in, I do know that if I end up in FM I'm going to avoid Obs/Gyn as much as I can (is this possible Moo?)

Not in residency... (for either obs/gyn or surgery)

And, really, you can get used to anything. You might be grossed out by the prospect of doing a DRE or putting in foleys now, but once you've done a few you realize it's not a big deal at all.

You might be grossed out by the prospect of doing a DRE or putting in foleys now, but once you've done a few you realize it's not a big deal at all.

DRE's and foley's are easy. They aren't really gross (if you glove), plus urine is sterile and not stinky (normally).

Poop is the worst. Opening a colostomy bag in a small room is always terrible.

Fresh placenta is also a smell you never forget, no matter how much you try.

actually from my life experience in general that's usually true, i guess we'll see when it comes

Not in residency... (for either obs/gyn or surgery)

And, really, you can get used to anything. You might be grossed out by the prospect of doing a DRE or putting in foleys now, but once you've done a few you realize it's not a big deal at all.

I had my first exposure to OBS/GYN yesterday and saw a full blown delivery. It really wasn't close to being gross. The placenta does look a little weird but it's NOTHING compared to a gangrenous wound oozing puss all topped off with a foul smelling discharge. The air must have smelled pretty bad in the room because of all the amniotic fluid, fecal matter etc etc, but fortunately my nose doesn't work very well lol

I had my first exposure to OBS/GYN yesterday and saw a full blown delivery. It really wasn't close to being gross. The placenta does look a little weird but it's NOTHING compared to a gangrenous wound oozing puss all topped off with a foul smelling discharge. The air must have smelled pretty bad in the room because of all the amniotic fluid, fecal matter etc etc, but fortunately my nose doesn't work very well lol

I always found the sensation of detaching placenta a little odd.

Hey- I sympathise!

It's not obs/gyn for me, it's eyes. Eye surgeries freak me right out.

I did a bunch of searching online, and found videos that made me feel "squicky". Then I watched them to de-sensitize. I don't know if this would help ou, but it worked for me.

I guess this is pretty much the same thing as Renin suggested- more exposure!

I thought I was alone!!!!!

I kept telling my mom how I don't know if I can overcome my fear of eyes

Anyway, don't belong here.. carry on.

Or when the cord breaks. And you think... "OH ****." Before getting spurted all over with blood.

If you start feeling resistance when pulling on the cord... stop. Then get someone else (higher on the food chain) to help.

This was one of the take home points on my first rural medicine rotation.

Archived