Premed 101 Forums

2011 Waitlist Thread

Wow I never thought I'd write this, but I will be removing myself from the Western high priority waitlist. Just got into U of T this morning, beyond excited and in shock. I still think I'm dreaming or something. Hopefully this is not like inception or something where I'll wake up (which reminds me of the Western video haha). Hopefully this will help one of you out :)

Congrats on U of T, and thanks for letting us know!

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow I never thought I'd write this, but I will be removing myself from the Western high priority waitlist. Just got into U of T this morning, beyond excited and in shock. I still think I'm dreaming or something. Hopefully this is not like inception or something where I'll wake up (which reminds me of the Western video haha). Hopefully this will help one of you out :)

Oh wow. Congrats!

Part of me hopes they don't make it through the entire good waitlist. That way I know I made the right decision not to gamble.

I guess at the end of the day though I should be rooting for all my fellow pmd101ers on the WL!! Hope UWO moves through the entire normal WL!!

You were on the regular waitlist right? Don't worry, you made the right decision regardless of how the waitlist moves...just think of the possibility of not getting in and having to do this all over again! I'm sure you'll love Queen's!

Congrats scissortail!

Congratulations scissortail! :)

As a reminder to everyone: in the 2010 waitlist thread, it took 1 week to go through the high WL. In other words, 1 week after they starting moving the WL, someone from the regular WL said they got an offer. Most of the WL movement then happened in the next 2 weeks (i.e. mid-June). After mid-late June there were hardly any more posts.

The next 2-3 weeks cannot go by fast enough...

You were on the regular waitlist right? Don't worry, you made the right decision regardless of how the waitlist moves...just think of the possibility of not getting in and having to do this all over again! I'm sure you'll love Queen's!

Congrats scissortail!

I think scissortail was on the HIGH waitlist!

Congrats on U of T! It's so exciting to be on pm101 these days!

Oh I know I'll love Queen's. I only wanted UWO because my gf is UWO2014. Maybe the admission gods are telling me that going to a school because of a gf is not good enough of a reason? :-)

I don't know your situation, but from personal experience I would say that it might not be a bad thing to be at different schools. Being at different schools will allow both of you to make friends without having to balance that with a relationship in the same program. nm..it's really none of my business, lol, congrats on queen's!

Congrats! :)

@Hills :) I think both has pros and cons. :) if a couple is pretty independent from each other and can manage being apart for a while then going to separate schools might be better since it also allows them to make friends at the new school.

Staying within the same school would be preferable for love birds ahahahahahaha

Either way EBDOC is getting good education

Oh I know I'll love Queen's. I only wanted UWO because my gf is UWO2014. Maybe the admission gods are telling me that going to a school because of a gf is not good enough of a reason? :-)

Another way to look at it is this...

You and your girlfriend are both working towards realizing your dreams. You are both going to come out of this as doctors and with a great appreciation and understanding for what you guys had to go through and sacrifice and also what you guys gained.

So, yeah, things might be easier if you were at the same university...but at the end of the day...the fact that you are both in Med School and pursuing medicine means that you may still have a stronger bond than many other relations :)

Another way to look at it is this...

You and your girlfriend are both working towards realizing your dreams. You are both going to come out of this as doctors and with a great appreciation and understanding for what you guys had to go through and sacrifice and also what you guys gained.

So, yeah, things might be easier if you were at the same university...but at the end of the day...the fact that you are both in Med School and pursuing medicine means that you may still have a stronger bond than many other relations :)

Contradictions, your observation is very astute.

We really need more people like you, who can help guide fellow premeders for centurions to come.

I have been following you for many months now, I thoroughly enjoy your comments, you seem to be a great teacher, a great student, great dancer, great athlete, and a great friend. Your ECs are OFF the CHARTS and you seemed to have accomplished a lot in your life thus far. I wish you the best of luck through this stressful time. Keep up the long jim seshes to make sure that you keep your mind and body on other things. Your muscles will thank you, because all they do is atrophy in medical school :) LOL!

I dedicate this song to you Contradictions!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdRuFxHE5Ss

CHEERS!

ah.. i'm at a point where this waiting period is really affecting my life..

I don't feel like going out.. don't feel like meeting people...

don't feel like working out..

just wanna stay home and refresh my inbox/ check my phone..

Hopefully we start to receive offers this coming week..

I think my biggest fear is that if I don't get in,

I don't know what I will be doing in the coming year..

Does everyone else have a plan B in case waitlist does not work?

Ok. This is the last time I'm going to speculate on numbers for this cycle, I promise!

What we know (or are at least pretty sure of):

* Western made offers to 171 applicants

What we can make reasonable estimates of based on historical numbers:

* There were ~450 interviewees

What we need to use the posts on pm101, the facebook group and a little instuition and reasoning to make reasonable estimates of:

* There were ~30 applicants placed on the high waitlist (Western probably wants to be conservative here, as few as 49 people have turned down offers in years past)

* There were ~60 applicants that turned down offers this cycle (the facebook group currently sits at 237 - 134 admins = 103 acceptances. Others have claimed that some non-admins are past students, but there are also likely to be those that don't use facebook or did not join the group for various other reasons. Moreover, on pm101 ~23 users have indicated they accepted an offer or were likely to cf. 10 that declined or were likely to. This ratio would agree well with an acceptance/declined distribution of ~ 111/60 if you believe that people are more likely to post about an acceptance than other scenarios)

* There were ~70 applicants that withdrew from the high/regular waitlists (based on 11 users on pm101 that have indicated they accepted offers from other universities)

* There were ~100 applicants placed on the low waitlist/rejected (this requires a bit of a leap of faith I'll admit. But in recent years the highest number of declined offers was 86. If you assume that in that this is close to the high water mark for the number of withdrawals from the waitlist as well - I obviously have no way of knowing if this is true or not - then you get ~170 applicants as the likely max waitlist movement. 450 applicants - 171 offers - 170 waitlist movement = ~110. And then let's say the want to give themselves some extra breathing room. There is no point in even having the low waitlist if the last 100 people aren't on it. And it isn't hard to imagine that people put on the low waitlist would be less likely to report this on pm101, so the fact that only 4 users indicated the low waitlist/rejected status doesn't bother me.)

What does this all mean?

So we've got a distribution of 171/30/150/100 = 450. But 60 declined offers and 70 withdrew from the waitlist. If you assume that all 30 high waitlisters accept their offer (we know this isn't true but bear with me) then there are 30 additional offers to spread amongst the 150 - 70 withdrawn = 80 remaining regular waitlisters, that is a 37.5 % success rate. But we know some of the high waitlisters will accept other offers (and indeed some already have). So instead if we treat the high waitlisters and regular waitlisters the same, then you would have 60 spots spread amongst 30 + 150 = 180 - 70 = 110, which would be 54.5 %. That is probably too high because some of those that withdraw will come from the bottom of the regular waitlist, below where the offers will stop. Split the difference and you get a ~46 % chance of getting off the regular waitlist (and 100 % chance of getting of the high waitlist.)

Ok, time to take off my tinfoil hat for good. I'm gonna just try to chill out for these next few weeks and hope for the best. Good luck all.

I know that I will be back for a fifth year.

There are some courses that I am extremely interested in taking...but never got a chance to get to...

Advanced Med Cell Bio, Discovery Based Cell Bio, Forensics Path, Science in Greek and Roman Antiquity, Medicine in Greek and Roman Antiquity, etc.

I know a few of my friends are just taking a year off and working/traveling...

Contradictions, your observation is very astute.

We really need more people like you, who can help guide fellow premeders for centurions to come.

I have been following you for many months now, I thoroughly enjoy your comments, you seem to be a great teacher, a great student, great dancer, great athlete, and a great friend. Your ECs are OFF the CHARTS and you seemed to have accomplished a lot in your life thus far. I wish you the best of luck through this stressful time. Keep up the long jim seshes to make sure that you keep your mind and body on other things. Your muscles will thank you, because all they do is atrophy in medical school :) LOL!

I dedicate this song to you Contradictions!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdRuFxHE5Ss

CHEERS!

Oh...my...

Umm - I really don't know what to say, except - from the bottom of my heart - Thank You. :)

It meant a lot...made me smile.

Also - you have successfully made a brown man turn red :P

But, seriously - THANK YOU!

Good Luck to you too! :D

Ok, time to take off my tinfoil hat for good. I'm gonna just try to chill out for these next few weeks and hope for the best. Good luck all.

Oh WOWZA!

Umm...Good Luck to you too!

After all this hard work that you are putting in trying to figure out the numbers, etc. I REALLY do wish that you get in.

*fingers crossed for you*

Try and get some rest and distract yourself.

YouTube has an Official Scrubs channel...if you are into Scrubs :)

Otherwise, just go out and do something to keep yourself busy!

No real back-up plan for me

I just finished a masters (which was my back-up plan after I didn't get in last time I applied) ... now I'm just looking for a job. Still hoping I get off Western or Queen's waitlists, but I'm not feeling too optimistic

I know that I will be back for a fifth year.

There are some courses that I am extremely interested in taking...but never got a chance to get to...

Advanced Med Cell Bio, Discovery Based Cell Bio, Forensics Path, Science in Greek and Roman Antiquity, Medicine in Greek and Roman Antiquity, etc.

I know a few of my friends are just taking a year off and working/traveling...

I also did a fifth year a couple of years ago

Two of those courses that you're thinking of taking are two of the best courses I ever took in undergrad (Advanced medical cell bio and Forensic path).

Oh...my...

Umm - I really don't know what to say, except - from the bottom of my heart - Thank You. :)

It meant a lot...made me smile.

Also - you have successfully made a brown man turn red :P

But, seriously - THANK YOU!

Good Luck to you too! :D

I guess I'm going to need to step up my number of inspiring posts so I can keep up to tabs with you :D . Seriously though, great stuff to say to each other from fellow students. This forum is definitely not short of encouraging words.

I guess I'm going to need to step up my number of inspiring posts so I can keep up to tabs with you :D . Seriously though, great stuff to say to each other from fellow students. This forum is definitely not short of encouraging words.

Haha!

I agree...when I first heard of Premed 101, I did not want to ever visit the site. I heard about all these intense people who had just the most amazing stats and were being rejected and how demoralizing it was.

But then, as fate would have it, I did stumble upon it with the heart break of a wait list email.

And when I saw this thread...I just had to join...

Team UWO Wait List rocks my socks! :D

Thanks everyone!

Haha!

I agree...when I first heard of Premed 101, I did not want to ever visit the site. I heard about all these intense people who had just the most amazing stats and were being rejected and how demoralizing it was.

But then, as fate would have it, I did stumble upon it with the heart break of a wait list email.

And when I saw this thread...I just had to join...

Team UWO Wait List rocks my socks! :D

Thanks everyone!

No need to be intimidated by my stats. As you may have heard, I am part machine. Lol I wish.

I think it a site like this is great because this is a tough process overall and a lot of people try really hard to get in. I definitely wish I had heard of this site earlier because I find all those great stats pretty motivating. Obviously people are working pretty hard to get what they want and I respect that. Makes me want to try harder :D Go premeds!! Hopefully one day we will all be successful.

Archived