Premed 101 Forums

2011 Waitlist Thread

Hey guys,

First-time poster here. (Long-time lurker though :P)

I was just wondering, since UWO seems to accommodate for campus preference (even after the initial offer) based on your ranking, is it likely that most waitlist acceptances are for the Windsor campus? Like, if a spot opens up in London, do people who were initially accepted to Windsor get offered that seat (if London is their first choice) before the spot is offered to a waitlist?

I'm sitting on a high waitlist and an acceptance at UTM. I decided that I prefer UWO (London) > UTM > UWO (Windsor) for geographical and curriculum reasons... Since the UWO list won't move until a response is due at UTM, I'm torn on chancing the waitlist.

I would love to hear some of your insight on this.Thanks!

I believe if someone with a London acceptance turns down the offer, people at Windsor who had London ranked 1st will get offered the spot before people on the waitlist (i.e. the highest ranking person who wants London will get offered the spot first).

From last year's waitlist thread, there were definitely high priority waitlisters who got accepted to London campus, while some got accepted to Windsor campus. So for you it's deciding between taking a guaranteed 2nd choice, or gunning for your 1st choice with the risk of getting your 3rd choice (and though highly unlikely, you do have to consider the possibility of not getting accepted). I guess it comes down to the relative gap between the choices (how much more you like UWO London than UTM, and how much more you like UTM than UWO Winsor). Personally I would sit as long as I could on the UTM offer hoping for early movment, but I don't think I could bring myself to turn down a firm offer for uncertainty!

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it possible to accept at one school and remain on the western waitlist or is that frowned upon/does acceptance at one place automatically nullify everything else? Thanks!

Once you accept an offer from one school you are automatically removed from all other waitlists and your other offers are declined

Once you accept an offer from one school you are automatically removed from all other waitlists and your other offers are declined

Yeah this actually one of the main points for the OMSAS existances - so there is a central location for managing all of this (for Ontario at least :) ).

Hey guys,

First-time poster here. (Long-time lurker though :P)

I was just wondering, since UWO seems to accommodate for campus preference (even after the initial offer) based on your ranking, is it likely that most waitlist acceptances are for the Windsor campus? Like, if a spot opens up in London, do people who were initially accepted to Windsor get offered that seat (if London is their first choice) before the spot is offered to a waitlist?

I'm sitting on a high waitlist and an acceptance at UTM. I decided that I prefer UWO (London) > UTM > UWO (Windsor) for geographical and curriculum reasons... Since the UWO list won't move until a response is due at UTM, I'm torn on chancing the waitlist.

I would love to hear some of your insight on this.Thanks!

Take what you got!!! You don't want to run the risk of having to apply again!

I'd take it as a good omen for the time being...they most likely aren't going to move the waitlist before the May 26th deadline and that is good news for us waitlisters so just sit tight for a little while longer.

Edit: Bertimus, buddy, are you on the regular waitlist with the rest of us or high priority? I think most of us, myself included, are keepin tabs on the number of people on which list, etc. Help us out with more info! :)

I'd take it as a good omen for the time being...they most likely aren't going to move the waitlist before the May 26th deadline and that is good news for us waitlisters so just sit tight for a little while longer.

Edit: Bertimus, buddy, are you on the regular waitlist with the rest of us or high priority? I think most of us, myself included, are keepin tabs on the number of people on which list, etc. Help us out with more info! :)

Guys I'm starting to feel pretty down about this whole process. I received a rejection from USask Med School today and was high wait-listed at Western. Lately I've started to fear for the worst. I called the admissions office today to try to find out when they would be moving the wait-list and the lady told me that they could start moving the wait-list anytime this summer with no indication of when that would be. After receiving all wait-lists and rejections this cycle, I guess I don't blame myself for being a bit down right now. I really hope something good happens soon lol. I am wait-listed at another school in the states as well. With no indication of what could possibly happen, I must admit that I am feeling a bit stressed.

Guys I'm starting to feel pretty down about this whole process. I received a rejection from USask Med School today and was high wait-listed at Western. Lately I've started to fear for the worst. I called the admissions office today to try to find out when they would be moving the wait-list and the lady told me that they could start moving the wait-list anytime this summer with no indication of when that would be. After receiving all wait-lists and rejections this cycle, I guess I don't blame myself for being a bit down right now. I really hope something good happens soon lol. I am wait-listed at another school in the states as well. With no indication of what could possibly happen, I must admit that I am feeling a bit stressed.

Sorry to hear about USask Inception, they've missed out on a great candidate! Don't start losing hope yet, like we've all mentioned to you before, last year and the year before every single person on the high waitlist got an offer so you're still in great shape. Trust me, I would do lots of crazy things to have the waitlist position you have so keep your chin up! :)

Sorry to hear about USask Inception, they've missed out on a great candidate! Don't start losing hope yet, like we've all mentioned to you before, last year and the year before every single person on the high waitlist got an offer so you're still in great shape. Trust me, I would do lots of crazy things to have the waitlist position you have so keep your chin up! :)

Thanks for the encouragement Jedi. Does anyone have any idea when wait-list movement will begin?

Thanks for the encouragement Jedi. Does anyone have any idea when wait-list movement will begin?

Nothing officially released yet I am afraid, so they must still be getting organized.

No one likes waiting but it won't be long now in any case!

Hang in there - As other have pointed out, the high waitlist has very good movement in years past!

JediMaster: I am on the regular waitlist, monitoring these forums quite a bit too!

Inception: And anyone else on waitlists... As much as you have probably heard this, never give up and never lose hope! Waitlists are there for a reason, and being on a high waitlist is something to be excited about! I hope to check back on this forum in a few days and start seeing some super happy news, good luck to all of you!

I have a few quick questions:

1. If UWO calls you and you miss it, will they leave a message or just call back the next day?

2. Once you start your MD at either London or Windsor, are you locked in there for the degree? Or is it possible, for example, to switch from Windsor to London after first year?

1. If UWO calls you and you miss it, will they leave a message or just call back the next day?

2. Once you start your MD at either London or Windsor, are you locked in there for the degree? Or is it possible, for example, to switch from Windsor to London after first year?

I am not sure about 1) except to say that they make considerable effort to reach you.

as for 2) I don't believe anyone has ever transferred after the start to another campus. For one thing there is not exactly spots openning up on either campus you could move into as that would probably mean someone would have to take a year off or drop out of the program. So yeah you would be pretty "locked in"

Yeah, I missed the call last year. They left a message asking me to call back, so I called them back the next day. They didn't say what the call was about though, the caller just said who she was and where she was calling from.

Yeah, I missed the call last year. They left a message asking me to call back, so I called them back the next day. They didn't say what the call was about though, the caller just said who she was and where she was calling from.

I don't imagine it'd be very hard to guess though. :D

Thanks for the answers guys.

Archived