Premed 101 Forums

2011 Waitlist Thread

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soooo looks like NOSM and Ottawa have both started moving their lists which is good news for us. I think Toronto should start to move relatively soon if they're following the same pattern as last year. I have a feeling UWO won't be moving until the initial offers expire but might as well take that as being a good thing.

Soooo looks like NOSM and Ottawa have both started moving their lists which is good news for us. I think Toronto should start to move relatively soon if they're following the same pattern as last year. I have a feeling UWO won't be moving until the initial offers expire but might as well take that as being a good thing.

good point Jedi, I also have a question for you. I remember you mentioning that you got an acceptance offer off the normal waitlist last year. Relatively when did you receive the call after the initial deadline.

good point Jedi, I also have a question for you. I remember you mentioning that you got an acceptance offer off the normal waitlist last year. Relatively when did you receive the call after the initial deadline.

10 days my friend. They were done the high priority list and already into regular list after a week.

cool. How many people would you suspect were on the high waitlist:confused:

I think a few numbers have been thrown around the forums, but logically speaking its probably not a whole lot more than 30 or so. Since they essentially tell you in the high priority email that you'll end up getting the call, they have to stay on the safe side and 30 sounds like a conservative enough number to me. Other people have agreed but no one has any kind of proof or stats to back it up. Your guess is as good as mine.

Our family member was as follows,

Accepted: McMaster

Wait Listed: UWO

Now has accepted McMaster and off UWO wait list.

Good luck to people on UWO list.

Sorry I don't know Grade and MCAT details.

If it is of help or bit of happiness to some on UWO waitlist.

Cheers.

Our family member was as follows,

Accepted: McMaster

Wait Listed: UWO

Now has accepted McMaster and off UWO wait list.

Good luck to people on UWO list.

Sorry I don't know Grade and MCAT details.

If it is of help or bit of happiness to some on UWO waitlist.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info, do you know which waitlist your family member was on? High priority/regular/low priority? thx

I think a few numbers have been thrown around the forums, but logically speaking its probably not a whole lot more than 30 or so. Since they essentially tell you in the high priority email that you'll end up getting the call, they have to stay on the safe side and 30 sounds like a conservative enough number to me. Other people have agreed but no one has any kind of proof or stats to back it up. Your guess is as good as mine.

would it be safe to say 50-60 are on the normal waitlist?

would it be safe to say 50-60 are on the normal waitlist?

If you look at the waitlist poll thread, the ratio of high to middle to low waitlister seems to be 1:4:1 (6 ppl, 24 ppl, 5 ppl). The sampling size is small but I think one of you are off. If there are 30 ppl on the high waitlist, there are probably 120 ppl on the normal waitlist.

If you look at the waitlist poll thread, the ratio of high to middle to low waitlister seems to be 1:4:1 (6 ppl, 24 ppl, 5 ppl). The sampling size is small but I think one of you are off. If there are 30 ppl on the high waitlist, there are probably 120 ppl on the normal waitlist.

lol you are probably right. Thats pretty dis-concerning.:(

lol you are probably right. Thats pretty dis-concerning.:(

Well it's also possible that the estimate for high waitlist is off. I think it's probably more like 20:80:20, with about 60 ppl getting off the list each year. It kinda makes sense to have all the high waitlisters (20ish) and half of the middle waitlister (40ish) receiving offers.

Besides I think Jedimaster said that last year 7 high waitlisters posted as having received offers, and 12 normal waitlisters received offers. That's appx 1:2 ratio. If I'm right about the 1:4:1 ratio theory, this also suggests that half of the normal waitlist get off.

Wow I really need to stop analyzing this. It may help you though :)

Well it's also possible that the estimate for high waitlist is off. I think it's probably more like 20:80:20, with about 60 ppl getting off the list each year. It kinda makes sense to have all the high waitlisters (20ish) and half of the middle waitlister (40ish) receiving offers.

Besides I think Jedimaster said that last year 7 high waitlisters posted as having received offers, and 12 normal waitlisters received offers. That's appx 1:2 ratio. If I'm right about the 1:4:1 ratio theory, this also suggests that half of the normal waitlist get off.

Does UWO send out rejections? If so, i`m more likely to agree with your 20:80:20 model. Arg... but you`re right, Im going to drive myself crazy by over-analyzing this. At times I wish UWO would just give me a number on the waitlist lol.

So far I count:

9 Originally Accepted folks declining their offers - Squectangle, Ozzie89, RyanMaverick, PipeDream, Epsilon, Dutchgirl, (my family friend), Benhc911, Sangoirelove

2 Originally Accepted are deciding between multiple acceptances

7 On Regular waitlist but have accepted elsewhere

So...not looking too shabby so far for such a small sample of people.

So far I count:

5 Originally Accepted folks declining their offers - Squectangle, Ozzie89, RyanMaverick, PipeDream and Epsilon

5 Originally Accepted are deciding between multiple acceptances

4 On Regular waitlist but have accepted elsewhere

So...not looking too shabby so far for such a small sample of people.

It all depends on what percentage of applicants actually post on these forums. I would assume no more than 10-15% actually post.

haha i was counting up numbers too and I had come to similar conclusion..

I think this seems to be a reasonable guess although the sample size is very small.

If this is correct, it means about 50% of us will get in off the waitlist..

I guess we have better odds than before we had our interview since I believe the probability of getting an acceptance after interview was around high 40%

And I think the best part this year may be the fact that people have to accept in the initial period (which I'm guessing wasn't the case before, based on some posts). If other people are waitlisted at UWO and accepted elsewhere, they essentially HAVE to say yes to the other school (unless they're willing to risk it for UWO)...it hopefully will translate into an even faster waitlist movement...

I do too. It would be devastating to know you were the next one on the list to get in and just miss out. But then that could also serve as a motivating factor for next year. I would just like to know whether I can hold onto hope or full on get ready for the next cycle's applications.

We don't have that much longer to wait until the list starts moving: 1 week and 5 days. Once the list starts to move, things get really exciting and they tend to stay that way for a good 3 or 4 weeks. Then they obviously taper off to no more offers on the forum coming forward. Just know that you're suffering right now but things will seem much better once the list starts moving so don't lose hope quite yet!

Hey guys,

First-time poster here. (Long-time lurker though :P)

I was just wondering, since UWO seems to accommodate for campus preference (even after the initial offer) based on your ranking, is it likely that most waitlist acceptances are for the Windsor campus? Like, if a spot opens up in London, do people who were initially accepted to Windsor get offered that seat (if London is their first choice) before the spot is offered to a waitlist?

I'm sitting on a high waitlist and an acceptance at UTM. I decided that I prefer UWO (London) > UTM > UWO (Windsor) for geographical and curriculum reasons... Since the UWO list won't move until a response is due at UTM, I'm torn on chancing the waitlist.

I would love to hear some of your insight on this.Thanks!

Archived