Premed 101 Forums

2011 Waitlist Thread

How does it work at Western for London/Windsor campuses. Is it a firm offer to one? What about off the waitlist? Is it more likely to get an acceptance to Windsor off the waitlist?

I was originally accepted off the waitlist to the Windsor campus last year, but was bumped to the London campus because a spot opened up there, and London was my campus preference. So it's not a firm offer to one school only.

Just because most people tend to rank London as their campus preference, it's more likely that one would receive an offer to the Windsor campus off of the waitlist than an offer to the London campus.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone. I've been reading this thread and was unaware that there is a high/middle/low wait list possibility. My email from Schulich was worded:

"I regret to inform you that you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time. It was recommended, however, that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by individuals from the Wait List."

From what others have stated in this thread, I am in the "middle" wait list because it didn't say I have a high chance of getting in nor does it say I'm unlikely to get an offer?

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, you are on the "middle" waitlist. There's still a chance you can get in off of that waitlist.

Take a look at the waitlist thread from last year: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41902

So if I got an offer for Windsor (second choice) and accepted it, then a few days later a spot opens up at London (first choice), they would call/email me and offer me that London spot?

Assuming you were next in line on the "rank list", then yeah, they would give you a call. In the event that you do receive a waitlist offer to Windsor, don't sign for a lease too early. Wait it out a bit just in case you receive an offer for a campus switch.

Assuming you were next in line on the "rank list", then yeah, they would give you a call. In the event that you do receive a waitlist offer to Windsor, don't sign for a lease too early. Wait it out a bit just in case you receive an offer for a campus switch.

Alright, thanks!

I wonder how conservative the good waitlist is. I think I've only seen 2 people on it so far compared to lots on the regular waitlist!

From what I heard from a first year (currently a second year) last year, it's pretty conservative. Western doesn't want to mislead anyone by placing them on the high waitlist only for them to not receive an acceptance.

Does anyone know what kind of time frame

we are talking here.. to see some waitlist movement?

3-4 weeks maybe?

longer?

I checked the WL 2010 thread. Last year, waitlist movement started late May and high-WLers were getting offers into early June. The first regular WL offer I saw was June 4, and the latest one was July 22. The "class is full" email went out August 9.

Last year movement started the day after the deadline for accepted applicants to respond. I believe the deadline is 3 weeks from today this year so we should see movement around May 27 (if they do things the same way as last year).

I actually emailed Pam to ask her about the waitlist movement and when it would start. She responded saying that she will be posting to the blog details on the movement of the waitlist and how they're gonna be doing it (before or after intial offers expire) so keep an eye on the blog for the next day or so for that update!

this seems like a major longshot, but I haven't looked at all at previous years. is there *any* hope that the regular waitlist could be reached within the OMSAS initial offer period?

From the looks of it - from what I've heard and seen...there's next to no chance of that happening.

Even for the people off the high wait list the chance is quite slim...

From the looks of it - from what I've heard and seen...there's next to no chance of that happening.

Even for the people off the high wait list the chance is quite slim...

The office will be releasing more details about that soon - hang on everyone for more details, they will be out pretty soon on our blog! The issue is a bit complex, and I wouldn't be relying just on what has happened in the past. This time in particular I think it is best to hang on for the official word :)

@Contradictions I know many in Schulich right now who were on the regular wait list that got accepted. They weren't even in the "high" ranked wait list based on the response they got in their rejection email. The point is that there is still a chance, but it all depends on the people who wish to reject their acceptance because they got accepted to other places they rather go to. Not to mention I already know a few who are not going to accept western. Also, previous years' stats (one of the threads on this site) shows that there is an average of 49-82 people that deny their acceptance. So there is a chance, but we will all see how it turns out for this year.

@Contradictions I know many in Schulich right now who were on the regular wait list that got accepted. They weren't even in the "high" ranked wait list based on the response they got in their rejection email. The point is that there is still a chance, but it all depends on the people who wish to reject their acceptance because they got accepted to other places they rather go to. Not to mention I already know a few who are not going to accept western. Also, previous years' stats (one of the threads on this site) shows that there is an average of 49-82 people that deny their acceptance. So there is a chance, but we will all see how it turns out for this year.

Oh I agree with you on that! I meant that the chance of the regular wait list being reached within the OMSAS initial offer period is next to none...that's all.

The office will be releasing more details about that soon - hang on everyone for more details, they will be out pretty soon on our blog! The issue is a bit complex, and I wouldn't be relying just on what has happened in the past. This time in particular I think it is best to hang on for the official word :)

Hey rmorelan, I wanted to extend a sincere thank you to you for all the work you do here. Your updates seriously help alleviate a lot of stress for me, especially now that I've been waitlisted at Schulich. Just a reminder that you're very much appreciated around here. :)

I would also like to thank everyone frequenting the threads today. Half the reason I've been able to deal with this is a) seeing that I'm not alone, B) being surrounded by amazing candidates helps in thinking that not getting accepted doesn't mean you failed and c) the whole good karma, "we're all in this together" is so nice...

Also, thank you rmorelan! Even though you don't have anything to do with admissions, you've been so unbelievably helpful (as have your classmates) with all of this (even in threads not about Western). These past few months, I kept thinking that if I got in to UWO, I'd go because we've gotten such support from you guys and that this would be something I'd want to do for the next line of premeds...of course, whether that happens this coming year, only time will tell...

And it's really good to read about 50-80 students declining UWO...there's still hope!

I actually emailed Pam to ask her about the waitlist movement and when it would start. She responded saying that she will be posting to the blog details on the movement of the waitlist and how they're gonna be doing it (before or after intial offers expire) so keep an eye on the blog for the next day or so for that update!

Thanks JM! Good to know ;)

Generally how many students are on the high/regular waitlist? and how many normally get in off the waitlest?

It's not known how many people are on the waitlists, but the high priority waitlist is believed to be quite conservative. This document shows the number of people that decline offers http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2011AdBk.pdf (i.e. the number of people that get accepted off the waitlist if Western doesn't overaccept initially). Does anyone know if Western sends out more offers than class size at first?

I don't have any actual proof, but word on the street last year was that Western does not over accept by any significant amount which is why the waitlist starts the to move right away during the designated period (for last year, it was right after the intial offers expired - still waiting in Pam to post whether that'll be the case again this year)

I don't have any actual proof, but word on the street last year was that Western does not over accept by any significant amount which is why the waitlist starts the to move right away during the designated period (for last year, it was right after the intial offers expired - still waiting in Pam to post whether that'll be the case again this year)

yeah! The office is a bit busy but I am sure they will get around to that ASAP - I wouldn't be refreshing a website every 5 seconds on that one but it still won't be that long :)

I just want to reassure everyone here that I know what you are going through, it is very tough. Do know that the "good waitlist" letter is a very conservative number. Many people get off the "bad waitlist" letter, so keep the faith strong.

Really? people have gotten in off the low waitlist? or did you mean Normal waitlist?

Archived