Premed 101 Forums

The 2011 Waitlist

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, to be explicit indeed I am declining the offer at UBC.

The debacle was more a personal issue with being removed from the waitlist on June 15th last year... wasn't a great feeling so I can empathize with anyone going through the same ordeal... keep your head up, enjoy this coming year... and start preparing for the interviews because you will get one...

I started an interview prep group in the fall and we practiced from late Dec till the last interviews in March and it was amazing to work with so many different personalities and hear so many perspectives. I highly recommend people do this. Out of the 6 people who participated in the group all 6 of us got into schools and 2 of them were waitlisted at their schools.

I think I got the SMP you didn't want there! I was accepted off the waitlist IP for the SMP this morning. I have been given only until tomorrow at noon to decide.. and I have already set myself upon UofC (accepted on May 13). I'm almost certain I will be declining this spot and staying with UofC. I was hoping for Vancouver Fraser.

What do you all think? is Calgary a better bet for me? I like the 3 year program, the tight knit group, and the bigger city. Would I have less opportunities for learning specialties in Kelowna? Also, I'm not sure how I feel about a brand new program. Maybe there will be some growing pains.

Either way I'm humbled to have the opportunity to choose. Never thought I would be in this spot, as this is my 4th application cycle.

Good luck with your decision man :). I am in the exact opposite position. I went to school in Calgary and loved it, especially 17th Ave :). Good times for sure. But Van is Van. Either way you're gonna be a doc :). Let us know what your decision is.

p

Would I have less opportunities for learning specialties in Kelowna? Also, I'm not sure how I feel about a brand new program. Maybe there will be some growing pains.

Yes, these are the concerns. Pros is that you may get more interactions with preceptors; Cons is that the teaching (more so for the clinical years) are not the traditional ones. E.g. Clinical teaching unit in Kelowna, if they do have one, is not going to be as traditional as the ones in VGH,SPH, RCH.

However, you will have a good taste of rural family medicine.

Raven,

My grain of salt, if I may add it... BOTH programs are amazing, indeed the SMP program is new and I did not want to be part of an experiment, also UBC has 4 campuses and teaches via videoconferencing much like they do in the states that wasn't cool for me. In SMP I am certain you will get some amazing clinical exposure there, smaller cities, in my experience, are just easier to make solid relationships with local docs, but the same is true about UofC.

I met the folks at UofC, like 40 of them, it is an older crowd, many MSc, double degrees, PhDs etc... the tight knit group you would have at SMP too but yes UofC has that. The 3 yr program has some pros and some cons... but the fact that you finish 1 yr earlier, unless it plays well into your personal plans, is quite irrelevant... teaching wise I think UofC beats UBC on a personal level.

Check out some of the threads on this forum that compare the schools they may help, but I'm sure you will come to your decision before you even read this so best of luck in the future.

Raven,

My grain of salt, if I may add it... BOTH programs are amazing, indeed the SMP program is new and I did not want to be part of an experiment, also UBC has 4 campuses and teaches via videoconferencing much like they do in the states that wasn't cool for me. In SMP I am certain you will get some amazing clinical exposure there, smaller cities, in my experience, are just easier to make solid relationships with local docs, but the same is true about UofC.

I met the folks at UofC, like 40 of them, it is an older crowd, many MSc, double degrees, PhDs etc... the tight knit group you would have at SMP too but yes UofC has that. The 3 yr program has some pros and some cons... but the fact that you finish 1 yr earlier, unless it plays well into your personal plans, is quite irrelevant... teaching wise I think UofC beats UBC on a personal level.

Check out some of the threads on this forum that compare the schools they may help, but I'm sure you will come to your decision before you even read this so best of luck in the future.

Thanks for the feedback. It was a tough decision, but in the end it came down to the job climate in Calgary for my wife, and the fact that I already live in Calgary right now (don't really feel like moving from to Van, and then Kelowna and possibly a 3rd time). In addition, I have a great feeling about UofC's program, and have already met a number of people in the admissions office etc. I am looking to study medicine in a large city (Who knows how many times I will change my mind in the first year though haha) and overall, Calgary just works better for myself and my wife. I don't think the whole 3 year vs 4 and residency will be much of a problem so long as I am really proactive.

UBC and UofC both have great programs, and I know a great education can be had at either.

I'm really happy that somebody else will be getting the chance to live their dream at UBC. Given how many tears and frustrations I have spent on UBC over the years, it certainly feels ironic that I'm deciding NOT to go there.

Awesome that so many people on the waitlist are getting offers. But, I am just wondering, is there anyone else out there who was accepted in the first round of applicants and still in a site they didn't pick? With all this waitlist movement, I would have expected an offer to change sites by now :(

Awesome that so many people on the waitlist are getting offers. But, I am just wondering, is there anyone else out there who was accepted in the first round of applicants and still in a site they didn't pick? With all this waitlist movement, I would have expected an offer to change sites by now :(

I think that would be an awesome question to ask admissions!!! Haven't there been people that got in from the waitlist and then received site switch offers??? I thought I read something along those lines...could be wrong though!!

I think that would be an awesome question to ask admissions!!! Haven't there been people that got in from the waitlist and then received site switch offers??? I thought I read something along those lines...could be wrong though!!

Admissions won't tell me anything, I tried. But obviously if they are at the stage of inviting people back on the waitlist - I am not on it. I guess the problem is that I filled out that rural suitability form....and they found me suitable. I know the NMP will be a great program, I just really wanted to go to the SMP because Kelowna is home for me. I've been in Van for 2 years for school and miss my friends and family. The fact that there's been so much WL movement specifically in the SMP makes it particularly frustrating.

Admissions won't tell me anything, I tried. But obviously if they are at the stage of inviting people back on the waitlist - I am not on it. I guess the problem is that I filled out that rural suitability form....and they found me suitable. I know the NMP will be a great program, I just really wanted to go to the SMP because Kelowna is home for me. I've been in Van for 2 years for school and miss my friends and family. The fact that there's been so much WL movement specifically in the SMP makes it particularly frustrating.

maybe they've only been moving people that werenot given their 1st or 2nd choice???

This year's WP is perhaps the luckiest!!! I am still on the initial WL and have not heard anything but given that they have invited rejected W-listers, I think there is a high chance that us folks on the initial list and perhaps a few applicant from the rejected W-listers might get accepted.

P.S. People who have already gotten accepted (to any site) should not take their position for granted. There are 100s of applicants who would die have the opportunity to study at any of the sites including SMP.

Cheers,

This year's WP is perhaps the luckiest!!! I am still on the initial WL and have not heard anything but given that they have invited rejected W-listers, I think there is a high chance that us folks on the initial list and perhaps a few applicant from the rejected W-listers might get accepted.

P.S. People who have already gotten accepted (to any site) should not take their position for granted. There are 100s of applicants who would die have the opportunity to study at any of the sites including SMP.

Cheers,

Im rooting for you 3k! I know how close you are and how that must feel!!!

So true. Thanks for the reality check. There was just such an unbelievable amount of WL movement that I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Anyway, good luck to everyone. I know the limbo of being on the WL is tough, I've been there.

I'm currently out of the country so I only saw the email from them, time stamp is 2:14 pm. Yes I'll be accepting the offer since this is my only application this cycle. I hope that you receive good news in the coming days!

Maybe you got the spot I had to decline earlier today! If so, I'm really happy! HUGE congrats!

Archived