Premed 101 Forums

The Waitlisted: 2011 Edition

I thought that I should start a thread where current waitlisted applicants can gather to share thoughts, news, frustrations, and insights.

A quick look-over through the various threads indicate that a number of IP offers will be given up in favour of other offers or due to potential deferrals. Right now it looks like maybe 10 spots, and that's only based on pm101 posters. Very good news for those who are in limbo. In addition, several posters have indicated that they will be giving up their waitlist position in favour of an outright offer at another school. Again, that is another piece of potentially good news.

Since I am IP I have only been following those seats being freed up. If an OOP applicant on the waitlist would like to chime in about progress of the OOP waitlist, they are more than welcome to do so here.

Let this be a place to share our woes and share our triumphs!

Best,

LL

PS. Many thanks to those who have posted about their intentions with their offers. It really, truly gives those of us who are waiting an inkling of what might lie ahead.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi LostLamb, although I do not post often in the forums but of the few times that I have been browsing, your posts have always been genuinely helpful to others and I was definitely rooting for you to make it this year. However being wait listed is a great start, I am in the same boat.

Good luck to all of those wait listed!! Let's hope that 100% of that list gets offered spots (we can dream :P )

It says on the waitlist letter this year that app. 80-90% of waitlistees get an offer, according to last years results. does anyone know whether this 80-90% has been pretty consistent in the past? For those people who may have been waitlisted last year as well, was there any similar percentage estimated on your waitlist email from last year? Anyone with information? thanks

I was WL at U of C two years ago and in that year's message, there was no estimation about waitlist movement. I have no idea about last year since I did not get interviewed last year.

Many thanks to those who are rooting for me. Really, you guys are too kind. I am just another hopeful doing her best and seeing what develops. If it happens it happens and if it doesn't it doesn't and I must decide whether I should try again. I am glad that some find my posts helpful, if nothing else they are a voice of experience and persistence.

Hey guys to dispel any myths I remember Dr. Walker telling one group in the interviews that there is no IP/OOP pools. they simply reserve 85% of the seats for IP and the rest of the 15% is up for grabs by the best applicants.

Mikeowsoft

class of 2013

I am not certain of this. At least, based on two years ago I was told there were two waiting lists and that a 15% maximum of the class can consist of OOP candidates. The case that year was that the OOP list was exhausted and the class wasn't filled so spots went to IP candidates. I am sure there is a lot more to it but that is what I recall and understood. Maybe, mikeowsoft, you know more because you are in or maybe things have changed since then.

Hi LostLamb, although I do not post often in the forums but of the few times that I have been browsing, your posts have always been genuinely helpful to others and I was definitely rooting for you to make it this year. However being wait listed is a great start, I am in the same boat.

Good luck to all of those wait listed!! Let's hope that 100% of that list gets offered spots (we can dream :P )

same here.

you are really helpful LL and i hope you make it in!

does anyone have an estimate of how many people are waitlisted? if they interview around 550 in province candidates and then around 162 (170 - previous deferrals and LIM) are accepted immediately ... that leaves 388 roughly ... any speculations on how many of those are waitlists vs flat our rejections? (confusing i know)

I try, epson, I try.

According to the blog, the adcom does not disclose the size of the waiting list but merely states that not all people interviewed get waitlisted. What that means in terms of numbers, I have no idea at all.

Dr Walker has said that he may find out if he is able to disclose the size of the waiting list, but that will be upon discussion with and at the discretion of the committee.

Right now, our most reliable source of info is the blog, so I highly recommend you read the posts and comments and post further questions there.

:)

Archived