Premed 101 Forums

The Waitlisted: 2011 Edition

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IP waitlist as well.

Though, like many of you, I'm beginning to feel that I may be hanging on to a false sense of hope. Especially at this stage, it seems as though, they have tendered offers as they were declined, following their initial wait-list offer.

Stay positive. Like Dr. Walker said, it's that there are more qualified people than there are seats. You will all achieve greatness following your hearts, even if that means going for another round of applications. I certainly am not giving hope, and will apply again in the coming year.

P.S. I have been watching the forum from afar and have been inspired by the burst of positivity I see from many (i.e. LostLamb).

Though, like many of you, I'm beginning to feel that I may be hanging on to a false sense of hope. Especially at this stage, it seems as though, they have tendered offers as they were declined, following their initial wait-list offer.

I definitely agree it's getting harder to keep the faith. Not getting an invitation last week was 10X harder then getting wait-listed on the 13th ... and it keeps being harder every time I hear someone else got an invitation.

The closest thing I can compare it to is being dumped over and over again. If my MDadmission hopes were a guy I would have walked away a long time ago but I keep building myself up and saying "They really do love you ... They won't hurt me again ... the next one is yours". Maybe its time to face reality.

OOP waitlist. Rapidly losing hope...When I found out that I wasn't accepted, but at least was on the waitlist, and read that 80-90% typically get accepted, I thought ok, I still have a good chance (Calgary is my only chance for an acceptance)... But now, after not getting an invite last week, really quite depressed :(. I am tired of obsessively checking my email x10 a day!

But then again, I know one guy who got accepted off the waitlist in July for Ottawa. SO I guess right up until classes start, anything is possible...

If you really want to get in, you will keep trying. I know it sounds trite, but just keep trying until there is no try left in you.

I feel for each and every one of you on the waiting list. I have been in your position several years in a row. I know how difficult it is to put life on hold 'just in case'. It isn't fun. It is frustrating. It makes you angry. It makes you sad. It leaves you confused and wondering why you bother with this and is it worth it, etc etc etc. People ask the same questions over and over and all you can say is "I don't know" because you have no answers. People think you're crazy to spend time and money on the whole process again. People express their confusion with "what is the problem, we need doctors, so why is it so hard to get in?". You get used to answering those questions, keep your head held high, listen to and thank them for their unsolicited advice.

My best advice, which I have shared on here already, is to keep doing whatever your original plan B was and at the same time start working on your next application, restudy/rewrite the MCAT, and continue doing what you love to fill up your spare time. Don't stop living your life. Keep living it to its fullest.

*e-hugs to you all*

LL

OOP waitlist. Rapidly losing hope...When I found out that I wasn't accepted, but at least was on the waitlist, and read that 80-90% typically get accepted, I thought ok, I still have a good chance (Calgary is my only chance for an acceptance)... But now, after not getting an invite last week, really quite depressed :(. I am tired of obsessively checking my email x10 a day!

But then again, I know one guy who got accepted off the waitlist in July for Ottawa. SO I guess right up until classes start, anything is possible...

The list is still trucking along. Don't despair. There are lots of LIM applicants waiting to hear on their deferral, lots of WL moved-up people who have already accepted elsewhere... the list moves in spurts, it doesn't tick along daily, so the wait means nothing. Keep your chin up.

My best advice, which I have shared on here already, is to keep doing whatever your original plan B was and at the same time start working on your next application, restudy/rewrite the MCAT, and continue doing what you love to fill up your spare time. Don't stop living your life. Keep living it to its fullest.

*e-hugs to you all*

LL

Great advice LostLamb. :) You are certainly a terrific example of perseverance! :)

If you really want to get in, you will keep trying. I know it sounds trite, but just keep trying until there is no try left in you.

I feel for each and every one of you on the waiting list. I have been in your position several years in a row. I know how difficult it is to put life on hold 'just in case'. It isn't fun. It is frustrating. It makes you angry. It makes you sad. It leaves you confused and wondering why you bother with this and is it worth it, etc etc etc. People ask the same questions over and over and all you can say is "I don't know" because you have no answers. People think you're crazy to spend time and money on the whole process again. People express their confusion with "what is the problem, we need doctors, so why is it so hard to get in?". You get used to answering those questions, keep your head held high, listen to and thank them for their unsolicited advice.

*e-hugs to you all*

LL

very well put.

It is 80-90% off waitlist in UofC? where did you hear this? is it like that for other schools?

thanks!

That number has been put together by people on this board and pertains to OoP candidates. That is unless I am mistaken.
Dr. Walker wrote that number in the waitlist email. And it pertains to IP as well. But it was based on past cycles. This year it may be a bit less movement.

You guys - it is waaayy to early to give up hope, I am on the waitlist too and u of C is my dream, and I know its is so hard to keep the faith... but look at last years accepted/rejected/waitlist thread (around page 13) there were people getting in all through June and even in July after the class was closed. I know this year seems to be a bit slower for whatever reason on the waitlist, but all is takes is for a few people at other schools to shift around. Don't give up hope!!!

You guys - it is waaayy to early to give up hope, I am on the waitlist too and u of C is my dream, and I know its is so hard to keep the faith... but look at last years accepted/rejected/waitlist thread (around page 13) there were people getting in all through June and even in July after the class was closed. I know this year seems to be a bit slower for whatever reason on the waitlist, but all is takes is for a few people at other schools to shift around. Don't give up hope!!!

I love your positivity, Libby. Keep it up!

Reminder to all: keep busy. Step 1 (the hardest step): get away from the computer and pm101! ;)

UofA has offered a few people who have already accepted their offer from the UofC, a place at UofA...off the waitlist. They have till June 15th to accept UofA's offer... and decline UofC's.. I know one of them is certain they will do it.

So have faith...movement will continue to happen.

Did anyone else get an email today about no reasonable expectation of getting in off the waitlist? I think it was kind of them to send it out.

Sorry to hear that you received that message today Cheezwhiz2. I was expecting that email any day, but I didn't receive it today. I'm sure they will continue to send out that notification as the class gets closer to being full. Expecting my email any day now.

It was inspirational to read the posts of all the people who worked so hard to get in this year (ie LostLamb). However, it is offset by the realization of how screwed I am this year by not getting in.

Good luck to the people remaining on the waitlist. Those spots have to go to some of us.

Why would you feel screwed? Life goes on, and if need be (I'm also in the same boat), next application cycle presents another opportunity. It may be a bummer, but it isn't necessarily the end of the world. In fact, a year to think about things and to grow as a person is not a bad thing. Embrace it.

I, like you, am still clinging to a slowly fading hope, but that hope will not die until that e-mail comes that says it's game over. Until then, we're all in the running. Stay positive! I'm cheering everybody else on, including you!

Thanks for the comments and support mdgwilliams. My situation is probably slightly different than the average med school applicant. I am a grad student with two undergrads, meaning that I have been in school for way too long already (I love school, but eventually have to move on). Financially things aren't looking great due to the fact that I have exhausted my resources from student loans over the years trying to support myself, wife and children. As such, if I do not get into med school this year I may be forced to quit grad school to find work somewhere that will sustain us.

Part of me is happy to have made it this far, but the rest of me is frustrated that it is so close, but possibly just out of reach. I will certainly re-apply next year if things don't work out this time. Thanks again for the support and best of luck.

Archived