Premed 101 Forums

The Waitlisted: 2011 Edition

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got in too! Got the e-mail Monday but I've spent the week trying to decide between UBC (where I already accepted and paid my 1000$ deposit) and U of C...Calgary was my first choice throughout the application cycle but I think I just got a little stressed at the thought of moving in a month and a half...now I am excited! See you guys July 27th:)

Got in too! Got the e-mail Monday but I've spent the week trying to decide between UBC (where I already accepted and paid my 1000$ deposit) and U of C...Calgary was my first choice throughout the application cycle but I think I just got a little stressed at the thought of moving in a month and a half...now I am excited! See you guys July 27th:)

well done! Looking forward to meeting you as well.

This has been a very active thread. Glad to see the offers are rolling out quickly and consistently. sfu.project: you will make someone in BC *very* happy!!

well done! Looking forward to meeting you as well.

This has been a very active thread. Glad to see the offers are rolling out quickly and consistently. sfu.project: you will make someone in BC *very* happy!!

I hope so! having waited on the UBC waitlist last year right up until the first day of classes I know I would have been ecstatic to be getting an offer at this point, so I'm glad to be able to pay it forward a bit ;-)

I have been so delighted to read LL's and hopeful's amazing stories! While I haven't received any email telling me I am not likely to get off the waitlist, everyday I am finding it harder to hope... it feels like an impossible dream... I just finished my phD and there is nothing else I want to do besides medicine. I too am married and older and don't feel like time is on my side as I've been in university for 10 years already. Someone send me a ray of hope haha.

I have been so delighted to read LL's and hopeful's amazing stories! While I haven't received any email telling me I am not likely to get off the waitlist, everyday I am finding it harder to hope... it feels like an impossible dream... I just finished my phD and there is nothing else I want to do besides medicine. I too am married and older and don't feel like time is on my side as I've been in university for 10 years already. Someone send me a ray of hope haha.

I'm old too, brother! Your time will come! Just stay positive. Good things happen when you least expect them.

River- I am also in nearly the identical situation! And for a variety of personal reasons, I dont think reapplying is something I can really do at this point. So it is U of C, now or never, for me. I hope we both have a bit of good luck!! :)

I am here, cheering all three of you on, virtual pompoms and all! :D

No email that you're near the bottom of the list means that there is still hope. Also, from the sounds of things, this year's class has several 'oldies'...I'd love to add a few more! I still think I'm the oldest, though (chronologically only!).

Does anyone know whether there is a hard-cutoff for when people must apply to the LIM program (or a specific date when they find out whether they are accepted)? I'm assuming that would bring about a bit of movement in the list.

This is straight from the LIM program:

Leaders in Medicine/MD program.

Students wishing to apply to the Leaders in Medicine (joint degree) program must complete the following process:

• You must first have an offer of admission into the MD program from the Faculty of Medicine Office of Admissions.

• Once accepted into the MD program, you must contact the Graduate Program Administrator at 403-210-9572 or mdgrad@ucalgary.ca to obtain the forms to apply to the Leaders in Medicine program.

• If you intend to defer matriculation into the MD program as part of your participation in the LiM program, the Faculty of Medicine Office of Admissions (i.e. the MD program) must be notified of your intent within 2 weeks of the offer of acceptance into the MD program or by July 15th, which ever comes first. If we are not notified of this intent (in writing) within these time frames, we may not be able to offer deferred matriculation.

• The paperwork from the LiM program must be filled out and given to the Office of Admissions within 2 weeks of the offer of admission.

• Once formally accepted into the LiM program, the Office of Admissions must be notified in writing.

And to those still on the waitlist, I really am hoping that you get in. If I can convince my wife that finishing off my masters this next year is worthwhile, I will be deferring and passing my spot off to one of you. Good luck to everyone and it looks like there will be pretty steady movement for weeks to come.

Just wanna say congrats to everyone who's been offered. I've been religiuosly following Dr. Walker's blog, and just realized that there's this thread. Thanks LL for forming this thread for waitlisters, it's nice to know there are many others in the same boat. I haven't got the second email yet, so I'm still anxiously waiting. Thanks for everyone's updates!

Wow - thanks to everyone for their amazing support. I am glad to know I am in good company and I hope you all have success. For those of you giving us hope by letting us know about your decisions to go elsewhere - thank you. Best of luck, what a great community.

Wow, can't really believe it yet. Got sent an offer of acceptance email yesterday, late Friday afternoon, Calgary time (read it this Saturday morning, due to time difference). Need a day to process the information. Therefore to everyone still on the list- there is still hope!!

Way to go Papaya!

Wow, can't really believe it yet. Got sent an offer of acceptance email yesterday, late Friday afternoon, Calgary time (read it this Saturday morning, due to time difference). Need a day to process the information. Therefore to everyone still on the list- there is still hope!!

woohoo! way to go!!! another 'waitlister no longer' in this thread. Congrats :)

Archived